F650 GS NON -STARTER , HELP & SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

burgman

Reaction score
2011 F650 GS frequent use all last week . Went to it this am , turned on ,pressed starter and nothing except sound of clicking (starter relay opening?) corresponding with the pressing of the starter button. Fuel good , battery brilliant( tested with voltmeter main beam etc.) so tried unsuccessfully bump starting . Unfortunately no really good slope and even in high gear just too much compression to turn her over with enough oomph . I am hoping it is something straightforward .........

Similar event with K75 years ago when main electrical 'brain' failed and Jefferies collected and fixed . Second mortgage job even in those days so hope we can avoid that

Similar event with K75 years ago when main electrical 'brain' failed and Jefferies collected and fixed . Second mortgage job even in those days so hope we can avoid that
That's exactly where mine is! .....and yes second mortgage! 9 and half years old, but only 18000 miles for me. Seems not too mileage related, but age!

Try your earth connections. Use a jump lead onto battery negative and the other clamp onto a good engine earth.

Not a bad idea. How old is the battery - original?

Just had this with my car - battery seems perfect, runs the lights & reading 12.6 volts resting, but it would only let the starter solenoid click, but not engage fully; stick it on a smart charger & it was showing fully charged & ready to go within 5 minutes, but it could not deal with a heavy discharge like the starter. It's all about the CCA needed to get the show on the road so a new battery was the easy solution.

This could well be your problem - if you are uncertain, get your local dealer to check it out with a discharge tester before fleecing you for a new one.

A bad battry can still show 12v and power the headlamp but when large current is drawn for the starter the volts drop and the relay drops out making the clicking noise. Ours failed suddenly despite showing no previous symptoms, it's a fairly cheap thing to swap or substitute for a known good one.

Thanks I'll try jump leads off car later and if its a runner its the battery

Thanks I'll try jump leads off car later and if its a runner its the battery

Have you gat an optimate charger?. That should give enough power after a couple of hours. I'm on my 3rd battery, but since having optimate I just plug in during some winter months and it keeps battery well

FINAL OUTCOME - WILLIAMS MC'S SAVE THE DAY

After a week of 'professional' head scratching at local dealers here , fitting new battery and starter relay all to no effect managed to start by connecting battery direct to starter to get bike running and heading over to Williams M'cr. Checked bike over same day and detected loose bolt securing earth wire on starter motor to engine block........:blast

Brilliant service as usual , no charge and all on a Saturday.:thumb2

After a week of 'professional' head scratching at local dealers here , fitting new battery and starter relay all to no effect managed to start by connecting battery direct to starter to get bike running and heading over to Williams M'cr. Checked bike over same day and detected loose bolt securing earth wire on starter motor to engine block........:blast

Brilliant service as usual , no charge and all on a Saturday.:thumb2
Lucky guy!!! New cpu for me! There was no clicking or electronic communication on mine at all.

Back
Top Bottom