Quietest aftermarket exhausts

LukeL

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm after a single side exhaust for my G650GS, mainly for the weight saving and space for a tool tube, but I'm not a fan of loud exhausts.

Can anyone clue me in as to which are the quieter models on offer?

Cheers
Luke

I can understand your concern, I have Remus pipes on mine, and the novelty of the loud throaty sound soon wears off particularly at high sustained speeds, where they make the bike sound crude and unrefined. So i would not recommend these. I would like to hear from other members that have these, maybe they can point out the advantages. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Thanks for the replies, I will take remus off the list.

Just to add I'm not expecting them to be as quiet as the standard system or looking for any performance gains.

I'm going to start digging around on manufacturer websites for dB level data and compare like for like systems to get a general feel for which are quieter/noisier, I'll report back.

Ive had Fuel end cans on 2 bikes and whilst a bit throatier, and sounds louder on the bike, from a drive past perspective they were very sensible. I don't take the baffle out though!

Last edited:
Ive had Fuel end cans on 2 bikes and whilst a bit throatier, and sounds louder on the bike, from a drive past perspective they were very sensible. I don't take the baffle out though!

Thanks for the recommendation, I haven't heard of them before. It doesn't look like they do g650gs exhausts but I'll drop them an email anyway :thumb2

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but why does the standard one have two exits from a single cylinder? I suppose it's more than just looks?
I prefer a quieter one also - I like the choice!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but why does the standard one have two exits from a single cylinder? I suppose it's more than just looks?
I prefer a quieter one also - I like the choice!
They don't, they only have 1 outlet, the other is the cat made to look like a dummy exhaust.

To the op, can't the cat be chopped off, freeing up the space & a link pipe made to keep the oe silencer. Probably the quietest & cheapest option?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES !

If you rely on your exhaust volume to save your life whilst riding a motorcycle you might wish to re evaluate your survival strategy.
A loud exhaust is no substitute for a sound ( no pun intended ) riding plan and should be no part of one.

It's a bit like use of the horn to warn a driver pulling out of a side road. No fucking use whatsoever if he pulls out anyway other than he will at least be aware from your loud blaring that you are annoyed about it.

If you rely on your exhaust volume to save your life whilst riding a motorcycle you might wish to re evaluate your survival strategy.
A loud exhaust is no substitute for a sound ( no pun intended ) riding plan and should be no part of one.

It's a bit like use of the horn to warn a driver pulling out of a side road. No fucking use whatsoever if he pulls out anyway other than he will at least be aware from your loud blaring that you are annoyed about it.

Agreed!

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES !

That is the greatest load of old cobblers I’ve heard today. Of course it’s been said before. Loud pipes are a distraction for other road users and tireing for the rider. Why in this enlightend day and age would anyone intentionally and unnecessarily increase the noise level of any machine is beyond me. Millions are been spent in today’s society on noise abatement to improve the quality and enjoyment of life. More millions are been spent on ear defenders and when all that fails on hearing aids. Manufacturers spend more millions on the development of quiet inlet and exhaust systems. Why the fuck would somebody come along and bypass all that? Sometimes illeagly. Ffs the pipes are sometimes failing race track noise meeters. And some people want to use them on the road. JJH

Excessive noise is an issue in both the trail riding and road riding world. Not for the riders, but the communities and residents who tire of it day in day out.

The effect is exacerbated in valleys where the sound has less area to dissipate in, and is compounded by those with illegal exhausts which just pisses the locals off further. They in turn get in touch with their councillors and then it goes on.

Own goal that fuels the anti's i think.

Some interesting articles in the trail riding world re e bikes or quiet petrol ones (crf 250) as being a potential way forward in sensitive trail riding areas; basically trying to diffuse the conflict.

I can understand your concern, I have Remus pipes on mine, and the novelty of the loud throaty sound soon wears off particularly at high sustained speeds, where they make the bike sound crude and unrefined. So i would not recommend these. I would like to hear from other members that have these, maybe they can point out the advantages. Perhaps I'm missing something.

That’s interesting about Remus. The Hexacone on 2008 1200 is probably less noisy than standard box with decatted header. And - the Remus can be baffled as well.

There is already enough anti bike mentality egged on by yobs on 125s with boom box exhausts. Anyone who wants off roading to continue has to be ultra responsible.

Excessive noise is an issue in both the trail riding and road riding world. Not for the riders, but the communities and residents who tire of it day in day out.

The effect is exacerbated in valleys where the sound has less area to dissipate in, and is compounded by those with illegal exhausts which just pisses the locals off further. They in turn get in touch with their councillors and then it goes on.

loud exhausts are rarely illegal (around 90db) and at most usually have a non endorsable FPN.

If those in the valleys actually got themselves out to work, they would have less to worry about.

Those who are retired, didn't care about the noise and environmental pollution caused by factories and other work establishment years ago. Yet now they want a different world

Loud pipes do not save lives, the noise is backwards not forwards.

The Akraprovic “shotgun” system on mine is loud when opened up but around town, nobody bats an eyelid.
At 70 without ear plugs I get more noise from front tyre than exhaust.
BUT it never goes off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a Remus on mine and found the sound pretty much spot on.

Cannot compare it with anything else but ran the bike for something like 10,000 miles with that exhaust.

Back
Top Bottom