Need an epic road trip? 'Look What You're Missing' in South Africa

CandyMan_ZA

Reaction score
http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/5598/0b0566c5d8ee45c2be50c0ea8066515e.jpg
0b0566c5d8ee45c2be50c0ea8066515e.jpg

It's a wonderful country - we have spent mid Jan to mid March in Knysna for the past 5 years

Not in 2018 though as the Knysna fires have put paid the that - our Shareblock House, (a co-ownership House) and the Nature Reserve

38 of the 43 houses on the Estate were destroyed and in total 600 to 700 houses from Plet to Wilderness were hit and are no more

Eastford_.jpg

Eastford_2.jpg

Eastford_3.jpg

It's a wonderful country - we have spent mid Jan to mid March in Knysna for the past 5 years
Not in 2018 though as the Knysna fires have put paid the that - our Shareblock House, (a co-ownership House) and the Nature Reserve
38 of the 43 houses on the Estate were destroyed and in total 600 to 700 houses from Plet to Wilderness were hit and are no more
Yes, this was extremely sad to see :(

Very sad to see

Hi I've just come back from CT, and we did a trip up to Knynsa, a usual haunt for us and it was very sad to see the devastation around there, I hope it all recovers soon. Also the drought in CT is a big problem, fingers crossed you get through it.

I hope to be back in March to ride with a mate through the Cederberg Mountains, hes offered to lend me a bike, but to be honest I would rather hire one to avoid any embarrassments if I drop it. If you can advise on any local bike hire in CT then I will research it. Cheers Alistair

Yes, this was extremely sad to see :(

GSRiderdotcom ( Alastair)
I was there last week and it was lashing with rain ! So that cheered them up, as you say they need it ... sadly it wont solve the drought.

The reason for my post here, is just to "warn" about GS rentals . I've used them about six , maybe 7 times.
However the last time we had a huge fall out ....
The bikes are often brand new, they have ( mostly) good administration and its all strongly recommended.
Its customary for the deposit for them to take a "block" on your c card ( maybe 20,000R ) This is the way every car hire company works.

However Petreaux actually took the 20,000R as a sum last time , then credited it a few weeks after the rental.
The problem with actually debiting the sum , rather than taking a "blocked off 20,000" is that I paid transaction charges and lost out on currency movements.
In other words the rental cost me £190 more. than it should have.

Anyway, rambling now. If you are ok with all that ( discuss it with Petreaux) then enjoy your ride!

Hi I've just come back from CT, and we did a trip up to Knynsa, a usual haunt for us and it was very sad to see the devastation around there, I hope it all recovers soon. Also the drought in CT is a big problem, fingers crossed you get through it.

I hope to be back in March to ride with a mate through the Cederberg Mountains, hes offered to lend me a bike, but to be honest I would rather hire one to avoid any embarrassments if I drop it. If you can advise on any local bike hire in CT then I will research it. Cheers Alistair

Hi Alistair

You can contact Cape Bike Travel http://www.capebiketravel.com/rentals.php they are in Cape Town City Centre and accross the road from Donford BMW Motorrad http://www.bmwgroup-dealers.co.za/opencms/sites/MOTORRAD/Donford_Motorrad_CapeTown/za/en/contact.html where you must pop in and browse around, even have a coffee in their restaurant.

I can give you more than enough information on routes to ride in the Cederberg, been there many times and know it well. Got lots of photos online if you're interested.

It's currently raining in Cape Town, so happy to see that, but I fear it is too little too late :bow

Kevin

GSRiderdotcom ( Alastair)
I was there last week and it was lashing with rain ! So that cheered them up, as you say they need it ... sadly it wont solve the drought.

The reason for my post here, is just to "warn" about GS rentals . I've used them about six , maybe 7 times.
However the last time we had a huge fall out ....
The bikes are often brand new, they have ( mostly) good administration and its all strongly recommended.
Its customary for the deposit for them to take a "block" on your c card ( maybe 20,000R ) This is the way every car hire company works.

However Petreaux actually took the 20,000R as a sum last time , then credited it a few weeks after the rental.
The problem with actually debiting the sum , rather than taking a "blocked off 20,000" is that I paid transaction charges and lost out on currency movements.
In other words the rental cost me £190 more. than it should have.

Anyway, rambling now. If you are ok with all that ( discuss it with Petreaux) then enjoy your ride!

always a problem - exchange rate and transaction charges with car hire, (we rent a car for 8 weeks and have to "pay" the initial CC deposit), but sometimes you win when the ER goes with you - no way out as even if you gave them Rand in cash, (which they won't accept), you still have the exchange rate risk

Back
Top Bottom