FIVE PASSES LOOP, SWITZERLAND

Lee Frost

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
At the end of June, myself, Mrs F and my stepson Tom rode down to Folkestone, hopped onto the Shuttle and set out on a week-long ride through France. Me and Mrs F were riding 2-up on my 1200 GSA and Tom on his shiny MT07. It was Tom's first proper road trip (and first time out of the UK on his bike), so we didn't want to push ourselves too hard. However, thanks to some advice from fellow Tossers on here, we decided to head into Switzerland and tackle the infamous 5-Passes Loop. Two nights were duly booked at the Hof And Post Hotel in Innertkirchen and the plan was to ride there from Dijon, stay the night, spend the next day riding the passes and end-up back in Innertkirchen for a second night before heading out of Switzerland and back into France (via the Black Forest in Germany as it turned out!).
This isn't ride report as such, but some snaps I took during our day riding the Passes, just to give you an idea of how breathtaking the scenery is. We were blessed with amazing weather, clear, sunny and dry, whereas the next day was wet, so we timed it just right. I wouldn't fancy some of those hairpin bends riding 2-up on the GSA!
There are different ways to ride the passes depending on how much time you have and how many of them you want to ride. We did a figure of 8 route, leaving Innertkirchen at about 9.30am and riding up to the Susten Pass through stunning alpine scenery. From there we rode to the Furka Pass via Wassen. At Gletsch my Zumo 660 decided to play up and we inadvertently ended up riding the Grimsel pass a little too early in the day (it's on the loop back to Innertkirchen). Realising our mistake, we turned round, road back down the Grimsel Pass then on to Ulrichen where we picked up the road to the Nuefenen Pass. From there we rode the St Gotthard Pass before heading back towards Andermatt, back over the Furka Pass for the second time, the Grimsel Pass for the third time :)blast) arriving in Innertkirchen by 7.30pm for a beer or two and some grub.
Have to say, it was the best day's riding on road I've ever had. The scenery is amazing - if you get to see it in decent weather - the roads weren't busy with bikers and if you're heading down to that part of Switzerland you'd be mad not to put a day to one side like we did to ride the passes :thumb2.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 998
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 988
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 1,004
More pics...

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 974
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 999
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 983
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 982
And more...

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 986
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 975
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 996
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 977
Even more...

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 989
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 976
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 972
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 979
A few more...

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 990
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 963
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 968
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 984
Looks like you were blessed with good weather :cool:

We did the Susten pass on the way south, freezing cold with low cloud ..... and stayed in Wassen... pissed it down all night and half the next day :D

Some more...

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 955
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 899
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 957
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 957
Last few...

Attachments

• 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 941
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 948
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 948
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 950
Some really great photos , you really were blessed with fab whether that day . A couple of those are definitely front page material :thumb

Those images are incredibly sharp.
What's the camera ?

A Canon EOS 5D MKIII Wolfgang, though they're sized right down for the forum. It's a fantastic camera - top quality :thumb2

As has been said blessed with the weather, some fantastic photos some of them definitely front page material

Norrie

great photos :thumb2 I think I may have to squeeze in another trip later this year :)

Just came back ,Did not see fuck all,pissing with rain and low cloud for three days,went to top of grimsel not a lot of fun with your face being ripped off with hailstones,i did laugh :D

Dave:thumb

That's possibly my most favourite riding roads anywhere outside of Scotland.
Spent quite a lot of time in that area.
Good pics :thumby:

Just came back ,Did not see fuck all,pissing with rain and low cloud for three days,went to top of grimsel not a lot of fun with your face being ripped off with hailstones,i did laugh :D

Dave:thumb

Grimsel was the same for me last year. Did Susten & Furka this year. Nice up Susten - I'd load a picture but it keeps rotating it 90°

Did Susten and Furka as well, they probably looked nice when you can see them :D, Did see the Eiger though so that was something,
we did have some terrible weather and by the sounds of it its been a very wet July
Dave :thumb

Very good photos. Did you not get the James Bond view on the Furka pass?

Goldfinger%2B0-36-16.jpg

Back
Top Bottom