Gs 800 advice

will

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking for another bike at moment unsure about whether to go for gs 800/gs1200 would the 800 cope with pillion and touring probably only for 2 weeks euro holiday and weekends away I would like the lighter weight and running costs any advice :thumb

Go for the 800 with no qualms. I changed from an R1150GS to an F800GS back in 2011 and haven't looked back.
The same power, 42 kilos less weight, and an average 65 mpg.
You will need to change the seat from the standard vinyl covered teak plank (actually, it might be oak...), and get some decent panniers for your trip.
The first thing I did with mine was put the Dearly Beloved on the back and ride to Orkney. 1600 miles in ten days and not one complaint from behind me.
Highly recommended.

That's good to hear superted the economy is supposed to be good you never felt short on power? we are planning trip to northern Italy and Pyrenees next year might be with bigger bikes but I'm not fast rider with pillion :beerjug:

The trip to Orkney was in company with a mate on a K1, and he said that I went down a couple of Scottish roads faster than he really wanted to - and he was riding solo.
I've done a trip across to Berlin where I was the smallest bike and easily kept up with an 1150 Rockster, a 900 Trophy, and an 1100 Pan Euro; and used less petrol than all of them.
Two years ago I arranged a tour through France with friends and we had a 900 Bonneville, and a 1300 Pan on that trip. Again stayed with all of the bikes and used less gas doing it.
Don't worry about being in company with bigger bikes. You will stay with them, use less gas, and be fresher at the end of the day due to less weight. So win-win for you.
I'm also signed up with GlobeBusters for their 2018 Trans America trip ( https://www.globebusters.com/motorcycle-tours/trans-americas-alaska-to-argentina/ ) and am taking the F800GS on that. I already know that I will be riding with bigger bikes, but I already know that it isn't a problem.
Always remember: Its not what you ride, its the way that you ride it.

Yeh go for the 800 .. I swopped from Gsa 1200 to the 800 Gsa .. I liked it way more :)

I've long said that the only real 'need' reason for me to swap my 800 for a 1200 would be if I was going to do any 2 up big luggage touring. My Mrs goes on the back of mine happily but gets uncomfortable after a while, and the suspension is, I think, not really up to the job. I'm 19st on my todd, not exactly the average build rider that they spec the bike out of the factory for. With upgraded suspension, I'm sure it would be a different story, but you still may feel a little cramped two up with lots of luggage, and as others have said, the stock seat is crap. I put a Tony Archer job on mine, 500 mile days aren't a problem anymore - well, not for my arse, my right knee is another story altogether!!

have you looked at the Honda Africa Twin?

a few comparisons on Utube between the AT and the BM

Thee is nothing wrong with a f800gs except for tubed tyers. JJH

My 'tame' tech reckons that the only real problem with the F800GS is the chain drive.
You do have to say he's got a point. If BMW could make a 250 with a shaft 40 plus years ago, Yamaha can make an 80cc with a shaft, and Moto Guzzi can make a 500 with a shaft, how come the new(er) Beemers have chains?

as above I hate the tubed tyres ........chains not an issue. Its a pain adjusting when you have come from a shaft drive, but you soon get used to it ,its the same as what you did before you had a shaft drive

I've come back to a chain after a shaft drive (Pan European) & once you get used to it, it takes 10 minutes to do every now & then.

The advantages of a smaller, lighter bike more than make up for it for me....

D

Thee is nothing wrong with a f800gs except for tubed tyers. JJH

I'm not stupid enough to jinx myself and say that in 40k plus miles I've never had a tyre issue - you're not going to catch me out like that!

:D

You have to wind the suspension up for 2 up. Other than that, the bike copes fine. As others have said fuel consumption is great, you'll want to change the seat though. Chain wasn't really an issue. I had to adjust it a few times when new, but rarely after it was bed in.

I've come back to a chain after a shaft drive (Pan European) & once you get used to it, it takes 10 minutes to do every now & then.

The advantages of a smaller, lighter bike more than make up for it for me....

D

Absolutely agree with that. I wasn't saying the chain is a problem, just that my tame tech thinks they should be shaft drive. The F8GS is my first chain drive since I got my first BMW (a K100RT) in September 1986. So its been a while.
As I said: get a decent seat, some proper luggage, go for it.
And always remember:- Scott Oiler is your friend...

Back
Top Bottom