KPH Speedo

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
I have a 650GS with a KPH speedo, registered in Portugal.
I am bringing the bike over to the UK and am going to register it so I need a MPH speedo.
Does anybody know where I can get a speedo face from in MPH or a dual reading face.
I have been told by the local dealer that a second hand unit can't be programmed to my bike and the cost new is HOW MUCH!!
Her`s hoping someone can help.
Cheers
Paul

I remember reading about a gadget that changes the signal to make your Kph speedo read in mph. JJH

I've ridden around on a UK bike with a kph speedo on for a few years now and it goes through MOT's just fine and not questioned when stopped by the police on a "routine check".

I marked the outer edge of the dial with a thin 2mm line of silver / chrome look duct pipe tape every 10mph starting at 30mph (48kph) and so on to 70 (112kph).

Edit: do you need the MPH speedo for an inspection of some sort?

You can probably mark it up on the glass screen with an engineers marker pen if its a concern.Who stated you need one in MPH?

There used to be mechanical devices that went between the cable and the meter as described or transfers to fit on the glass.

http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/dials-for-imported-vehicles.html#
http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/dials.html

6b7a76983fb41ab4e36279f88eecbeca.png

EDIT see if this will do

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F650-...697718?hash=item41cab472b6:g:ScIAAOSwB-1Yo0em

Thanks for the reply.
Re the question about do I need one. I have been reading the Gov.uk site for importing a vehicle and I have read I need to get vehicle approval which looks at the speedo among other things.
If I am wrong on this then I stand corrected and will have a slightly healthier bank balance!!

Im sure there are bikes over here with KMH speedos only and for guidance they just mark the glass at 30,40 and 70mph

Im sure there are bikes over here with KMH speedos only and for guidance they just mark the glass at 30,40 and 70mph

There are plenty around I agree, but technically none should pass a UK vehicle inpection, although they seem to slip through the MOT, given our rather basic requirements for bikes.

My understanding, courtesy of a VOSA inspector a few years back, is that because there is often too much room for error when viewing the needle against MPH markings on the exterior of the speedo screen (parallax), a correct MPH overlay will be required. The choice is with the OP - his bike may slide through the system unnoticed, or not.

Well given the usualy display 3 to 4 MPH below the actual speed by design ...... anyhow it may be a mute discussion if the regs require a proper display then they do.You might be better off finding someone who has imported to get actual information :D

In the end I bought an old MPH instrument cluster from a member of this forum and changed the dial face over, now has a dual reading speedo.
All works well so I am hoping the DVLA are happy with this when I register the bike back in the UK.
Thanks for all the comments.

Back
Top Bottom