The GS: the best complete package there is

agfoxx

Reaction score
Somebody said to me earlier that we GS riders were "blinkered" and sang too many praises to our machines, without having really studied the market.
Well.
I was a bit bored yesterday, so I test rode four motorcycles in one day:
- The new Africa Twin
- The KTM 1290 Adventure
- The BMW S1000XR
- And the Aprilia Caponord 1200.
None of them hold a candle to my now four-year-old GS as a complete package.
The Africa Twin is (to me) comfortable and handles well, but it's underpowered, and the DCT is weird.
The KTM is quick and great fun, but it has too many quirks, and not in a good way (questionable brakes, mirrors vibrate too much, weird vibrations through the footrests)
The S1000XR would make a great toy, but it's just that, - a toy. I can't imagine doing my daily 80-mile commute on it.
And the Aprilia is brilliant, amazing and fantastic, but 36 mpg? Really?
So there, as a full package (handling, comfort, practicality, speed), nothing beats the GS.
Just saying.

Totally agree I am a week in to my ownership of a GS and it's a belter. Can do everything I need, comfortable, quick enough, nimble enough. Bells and whistles for long journeys.

Only downside is filtering compared with a sports bike

Somebody said to me earlier that we GS riders were "blinkered" and sang too many praises to our machines, without having really studied the market.
Well.
I was a bit bored yesterday, so I test rode four motorcycles in one day:
- The new Africa Twin
- The KTM 1290 Adventure
- The BMW S1000XR
- And the Aprilia Caponord 1200.
None of them hold a candle to my now four-year-old GS as a complete package.
The Africa Twin is (to me) comfortable and handles well, but it's underpowered, and the DCT is weird.
The KTM is quick and great fun, but it has too many quirks, and not in a good way (questionable brakes, mirrors vibrate too much, weird vibrations through the footrests)
The S1000XR would make a great toy, but it's just that, - a toy. I can't imagine doing my daily 80-mile commute on it.
And the Aprilia is brilliant, amazing and fantastic, but 36 mpg? Really?
So there, as a full package (handling, comfort, practicality, speed), nothing beats the GS for me
Just saying.

Fixed

For me - the XR does all that the GS does - but better.

Each to their own, I guess.

Al

I totally disagree. There is a bike better than the GS and I have it. Its the GSA. JJH

Like the GS, but according to the latest bike mag tests, the KTM seems to be the favourite. So blinkered maybe :)

It is the the best complete package for YOU

Now be a sport
If you are going to make such bold statements at least have the decency to consider that other people may have differing views

Oh, absolutely, agree 100%. This is my view, and my view only, - nothing beyond that.

The reviews seem to rate the Africa Twin very highly - especially as you can get one with luggage, crash bars, etc., nearly new with under 1000 miles for under £10k from a dealer

Whilst the GS has it's faults, as most bikes do it's still a fine motorcycle but, I see you didn't ride the 'Generation 2' Triumph Explorer. If you don't want to swap your bike I suggest you don't. :green gri

)....nothing beats the GS.
Just saying.

Oh dear, you do know that this is the UKGSer forum where that sort of sentiment is unacceptable to the GS loathing majority? If you have a GS, you have to at least pretend you hate the damned thing and will never have anything to do with BMW again. If you can't manage that, get an old one so you can say they're not what they used to be. ;)

Oh dear, you do know that this is the UKGSer forum where that sort of sentiment is unacceptable to the GS loathing majority? If you have a GS, you have to at least pretend you hate the damned thing and will never have anything to do with BMW again. If you can't manage that, get an old one so you can say they're not what they used to be. ;)

:jes:jes:jes

I'm with the OP on this, I recently had a free hand to buy whatever bike I wanted due to slightly bending the last GS (you might have heard about it, due to my good buddy Rick), I really did cover the market, Triumph, KTM, Yam, Suzuki, Kawasaki and even Ducati, but Nothing really appealed to me with the exception of the 1200s multistrada and even with that I just couldn't turn away from the GS. Each to their own it really is, but I tried to walk away but happy that FOR ME I bought my 5th boxer and it was the right choice. Any manufacturer can have fuck ups and does, but in my experience BMW have never really shied away from any of its issues, so each to their own.

And by the way every new bike Redrick buys is always the best bike in the world ever and that's final

Totally agree I am a week in to my ownership of a GS and it's a belter. Can do everything I need, comfortable, quick enough, nimble enough. Bells and whistles for long journeys.

Only downside is filtering compared with a sports bike

I came to a GS rallye from an RT....filtering on this is in a different league . On the GS you are in a more upright position so have a further view of what's happening ahead, compared to being doubled up on a Sportsbike, so the GS is a perfect filtering tool in my opinion

And by the way every new bike Redrick buys is always the best bike in the world ever and that's final

You are correct The Hyper is far superior to the GS in every respect except weather protection, tank range, comfort, luggage capacity, chain maintenance, motorway cruising, presence, headlights, fuel range indicator, self adjusting suspension, mirrors.........

What have the Romans ever done for us .......

I do love it though ....

And i do like the Blue meanie that you now have it looks good just a shame it isn't very quick

Back
Top Bottom