The GS: the best complete package there is

Called in at Teasdales in Thirsk yesterday to pic up some bits for my recently acquired Guzzi Stelvio. They're dealers for, Moto Guzzi...Aprillia...KTM...and Norton (bloody gorgeous) anyway, having a look around I noticed a lot of GS's. Talking to one of the senior staff (no names mentioned) they currently have 8 used GS's and he was saying he is now unable to take any GS's in part ex unless he can pass them off in the trade, which he was saying was difficult as no one want to give reasonable money for them out of warrenty.

I looked at plenty non BMW dealer GSs and they wanted far too much. So I went to a BMW dealer, 2yr warranty etc etc. Much better value.

Think you will find there a lot of used GSs about because BMW have sold a lot. A lot of those will be on PCP deals. But also a lot of bikers like to swap, it they were worried about the 2 year warranty, why wouldn't;t they just swap for another GS.

has anyone got the BM GS sales figures versus the Honda AT for 2016/2017 .. it would not surprise me if the AT is outselling the 1200GS

"re-joining" the Forum has got me riding again, (only my 1984 R80), but I do fancy a Honda AT after reading about them and looking at the Utube vids

the last modern Bike I rode was the 1150 GSA which I sold maybe 8 years ago ...... it got far too heavy for me in day to day use, and especially when I tried using one off-road on the BMW track in Wales .......... I quickly went back to the F650GS ......... before that I had an 850GS ............ I'm now "over 70" ........... my wife reckon that I would be mad to buy another Bike ...... but the AT does look good. especially for the money and the fact that the wet weight is well below the 1200GS .... even more so if you change the end can.

I rode the 1200GS, when I sold the 1150GS Adventure ...... but I did not quite get on with the Bike ............ I thought about the 800GS ...... but for the money I think the AT is a far better bet.

Will have a go on one when I am next in the UK, (late September)

what do you guys think?

to me the way Honda have gone with the AT is a direction that BM maybe should consider

to me the way Honda have gone with the AT is a direction that BM maybe should consider

If I were to buy a modern adventure/dual sport bike, this is what I would buy. I do think there is a emerging trend away from the massive behemoth bikes to a more real world manageble bike, in terms of weight, complexitiy, and importantly, cost.

BTW , it could be argued that BMW have already gone done this road well before the AT was re-released - the F800 GS (which I have previously owned) is a lighter parallel twin cylinder more off road orientated GS than the current ridiculous WC GS/GSA......

has anyone got the BM GS sales figures versus the Honda AT for 2016/2017 .. it would not surprise me if the AT is outselling the 1200GS

"re-joining" the Forum has got me riding again, (only my 1984 R80), but I do fancy a Honda AT after reading about them and looking at the Utube vids

the last modern Bike I rode was the 1150 GSA which I sold maybe 8 years ago ...... it got far too heavy for me in day to day use, and especially when I tried using one off-road on the BMW track in Wales .......... I quickly went back to the F650GS ......... before that I had an 850GS ............ I'm now "over 70" ........... my wife reckon that I would be mad to buy another Bike ...... but the AT does look good. especially for the money and the fact that the wet weight is well below the 1200GS .... even more so if you change the end can.

I rode the 1200GS, when I sold the 1150GS Adventure ...... but I did not quite get on with the Bike ............ I thought about the 800GS ...... but for the money I think the AT is a far better bet.

Will have a go on one when I am next in the UK, (late September)

what do you guys think?

If you want new registration figures go here:

http://www.mcia.co.uk/Press-and-Statistics/NewReg_Statistics.aspx

You will almost certainly find that the GS has for years been the best big adventure bike seller.

If I were to buy a modern adventure/dual sport bike, this is what I would buy. I do think there is a emerging trend away from the massive behemoth bikes to a more real world manageble bike, in terms of weight, complexitiy, and importantly, cost.

BTW , it could be argued that BMW have already gone done this road well before the AT was re-released - the F800 GS (which I have previously owned) is a lighter parallel twin cylinder more off road orientated GS than the current ridiculous WC GS/GSA......

Ridiculous? Pray tell, why is the GS/ GSA ridiculous? :nenau

I think even the KTM fraternity would agree the GS is a great bike. Your comment that they're ridiculous...is ridiculous. Every foot has a shoe that fits I guess. Have you ever owned and travelled distance on a GS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think even the KTM fraternity would agree the GS is a great bike. Your comment that they're ridiculous...is ridiculous. Every foot has a shoe that fits I guess. Have you ever owned and travelled distance on a GS?

Mine's ridiculously difficult for the lovely but vertically challenged Mrs Saint to get on and off when we are loaded up for a tour :D

Other than that it's excellent

maybe if you consider it as an off-road Bike, "ridiculous" could have some meaning ...... as presumably "Adventure" indicates an off-road use

Not that I would/could ever do this ......... but if you did even an easy tour of Africa - say Ethiopia down to The Cape - would you take a 1150GSA or something-else - I found the R1150GSA incredibly heavy and unwieldy off road although I though that it was very good on the tarmac

Back
Top Bottom