Help please, Import vehicle from UK.. :)

Geziuks

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm having a small problem with registering my R1200GSA again in UK. Perhaps someone experienced the process and could advice me what to do. I bought the bike back in 2012 here in UK, in 2013 I exported it to Lithuania (I've filled out the slip on V5C of permanent export). And now I want to register the bike here again. I've got Import pack from DVLA and tried filling it out, but there's too many boxes to fill in, and since I was silly enough not to get a photo of V5C before registering I don't know what to fill in into those boxes. Do I actually need to get this Certificate of Conformity even when the bike is being re-imported? I emailed BMW to get it, but they are pretty busy and didn't get a response just yet. After I fill in this V355/5 and send it to DVLA with a registration fee and road tax, what happens then?
Any help will be appreciated :beerjug:

As its been 'permanently' exported, I suspect you'll have to go through the whole process as if you were importing it for the first time.
So, yes, you'll need the cert of conformity etc.
However - having said that, I would suggest a call to the DVLA in the first instance.
Tell them your story. They're very helpful folk. They may be able to send you the necessary info to make the form filling easier for you.

Thread on pistonheads about the process -
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1490095

After I fill in this V355/5 and send it to DVLA with a registration fee and road tax, what happens then?
Any help will be appreciated :beerjug:

You'll need an MOT (using the chassis number) and the bike to be insured before they'll register it.

You'll need an MOT (using the chassis number) and the bike to be insured before they'll register it.

If you're not in NI you don't actually need to be insured to register an imported bike.
Naturally you would need to be in order to tax it.

Thanks for the replies, will contact DVLA to see what's what.

I have had to register many vehicles that I have built and would assume a new import would be the same.
I have had to insure them using the last 7 digits of the vin number as you cannot tax an uninsured vehicle.
The same applies to the mot use the last 7 digits of the vin number, when they issue you a reg number and number plate authorization certificate, you will receive a replacement mot certificate with the new reg number on it.
Life was easier when we had the local offices compared to going through Swansea.

If you're not in NI you don't actually need to be insured to register an imported bike.
Naturally you would need to be in order to tax it.

Not so in my case. I'm currently going through the process. They want it MOT'd and insured before issuing a logbook and registration.

Not so in my case. I'm currently going through the process. They want it MOT'd and insured before issuing a logbook and registration.

Same here. Had to have it mot'd and insured and enclose a cheque for the tax.

Not so my last three cases and not so according to the regs either.

If you're just registering without taxing you don't need to get insured.

Update:
I called DVLA and lovely lady told me to fill in V55/5 form to the best of my ability (don't worry about leaving empty boxes) since they have most of the details of the bike anyway. No need for CoC. Had to send photocopy of my driving licence, non-UK registration document, original MOT cert., and road tax fee paid by cheque or postal order. Didn't even have to insure it, but I did just in case. Now wait and see. Of course it would have been easier if DVLA had walk in offices..

I did this a few years ago when I brought back a 2005 GS originally reg on UK plates but exported to france for 5 years. I went along to the nearest LVLO in Sheffield and it was painless. The lady even gave me the original reg. number back.
Don't see that you'll have any problem!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom