Thread: Speedo

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Speedo

Hi Nick
    I am looking to bring my Portuguese registered F650GS (twin spark 2006) into the UK and register here.
    There seems to be trouble getting a speedo dial in MPH and I have been advised that a second hand unit can't be programmed to my bike.
    I have seen the cost of a new one and want to avoid that.
    I wonder if you have any advice on this matter and can you give me the options available to me.
    Thanks for your help
    Paul

I ended up forking out for a new instrument cluster for my GS. I couldn't find an alternative that would work. No-one would open the unit to put a mph inlay on the speedo or reprogramme a second hand unit. Other than trading in for a new bike (much, much more expensive), there was no other way to get a UK registration,so I took the financial hit.

If you find a cheaper way, don't tell me. It's too late now. Good luck.

This is what I think is going to happen unless someone has a brainwave!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoff View Post
    Hi Nick
    I am looking to bring my Portuguese registered F650GS (twin spark 2006) into the UK and register here.
    There seems to be trouble getting a speedo dial in MPH and I have been advised that a second hand unit can't be programmed to my bike.
    I have seen the cost of a new one and want to avoid that.
    I wonder if you have any advice on this matter and can you give me the options available to me.
    Thanks for your help
    Paul
    Hi Paul,

I am sure the GS will love you bringing it back to this lovey weather

From what I can tell there is no coding to be done when replacing the instrument cluster, my repair instructions just say remove old, fit new and heypresto. Potentially then, a used unit will work but failing that new internals can be got from BMW to go inside the original housing to convert into MPH. The internals are available from Germany so around 5-7 working days to get in and would be around £300 to you inc vat and delivery to UK address (normal price £338 inc vat). Just for reference a new instrument cluster would be £423 inc vat normal price.

Hope that helps, let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Kind regards

Nick

01242 335355
    Parts Advisor
    Cotswold BMW Motorrad Cheltenham
    Main Phone: 01242 335 355
    Email: motorradparts@cotswoldgroup.com

Cotswold Motor Group
    Corinthian Park
    Corinthian Way
    Cheltenham
    GL51 6UP

Thanks Nick, will be in touch when I know what I am doing.

Nick's info in post number 4 is very useful. And something i will bare in mind myself.

When I imported my 2013 GS LC from germany into the UK, all i did was get the BMW dealer to change the onboard computer to imperial from metric. With this I have the speed readout in mph in the top right hand corner of the instrument screen. This was enough to get the bike registered in the UK

I have a 1200GS air cooled and with a GS911 can change the onboard computer readings to imperial but on the 650GS you do not have that facility.
    The problem is to change the speedo to MPH or to to have a duel speedo as the 1200GS has. Lots of helpful info about what to do and how to do it but in the end I have to make the decision whether I pay the money.
    Still not decided on what route to take. One further point is that another UK dealer has stated that a second hand instrument cluster can't be code to my bike, more confusion.

How about buying a 2nd hand unit in MPH, then stripping it just for the printed dial face. Do the same to your KPH unit and then just swap the dial faces over.

No bother about coding etc, as you will be replacing your own original unit back on the bike.

The gearing/operation of the KPH and MPH unit must be the same, it would appear to be just the actual units MPH or KPH that changes.

The speedo needle must be in the same actual position when showing a speed reading irrespective of the units.

Or have I missed something