First service - final drive oil?

muppix

Reaction score
Finally managed to rack up enough miles for my first service, but dealer reckons FD oil needs to be changed as part of that. Owner's handbook states first change of 'bevel gear rear' oil at 12,000. Any ideas?

That's correct, the final drive oil in the fd from new is always changed as part of the post-run in service. I think it's a different oil to the longer lasting stuff.
At least, that's what I was told a few years back.

Should do all lubricants at first service.
Not because it needs changing - more to look for signs that something is wrong.

Thanks for the replies, big help at putting some little demons to rest.

When I picked up the bike I found that the headlight was set up incorrectly (higher than I thought possible) and the suspension was all over the place. Since then I've noticed a little bit of oil on the fork stanchions, so when I heard about the FD oil change I thought 'Oh right, here we go...'

If they can't do a PDI correctly, I wouldn't be using them for a service.

+1 they will fuck up your service, if they're shit now they will always be shit, it comes from the top down. Ask to see the dealer principle, if he's a cnut he'll always be a "thanks for you money, now fuck off" cnut!

All valid points, but:

1) I don't know that those niggles I experienced are checked for on the PDI, I only assume / expect this, and don't want to potentially compromise my relationship with the dealer, because
2) We're not exactly spoilt for choice here.

Headlamp aim is a rider thing, weight makes a difference on these bikes, & the Final Drive oil change is important on these bikes first service..
Other than that enjoy the bike.. I've got an Urban & just been back to the Pyrenees & had 800 miles of mountains on Tck 80's.. Fun.!

All valid points, but:

1) I don't know that those niggles I experienced are checked for on the PDI, I only assume / expect this, and don't want to potentially compromise my relationship with the dealer, because

Still no excuse for being ripped off, I'd factor in the cost of the cheapest way to get to the mainland and have it serviced elsewhere, encourage others to do the same and you'll find your local dealer will either step up or risk going out of business.
You paid money for your bike right? The dealer should be concentrating on his relationship with you not the other way round.

Change it every service...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All valid points, but:

Oh dear, oh dear! I just noticed your location, what very bad luck.

Funny you mention the headlight... Mines like a searchlight....Lights up the tree tops.. 600 service Monday - dealer asked to adjust. ( I could do I but can't be arsed.)

Back
Top Bottom