Anyone run a basic R1200GSA Wc no electronics etc

bought these for my 2015TE along with a 17" front wheel and wider rear from an RT plus some wider stickier rubber

Attachments

• BMW-Ohlins-W_Cooled_R_1200GS_TTX_BM_147_BM146.jpg
    BMW-Ohlins-W_Cooled_R_1200GS_TTX_BM_147_BM146.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 561
I remember a couple of years ago when BMW were offering a GSA on PCP for £109 a month. I went in and said I'd have one, however the only ones available were this, that and the other. I said no...I want the basic GSA as advertised for 109 a month but they couldn't get me one. Pretty pointless advertising it if you can't get one.
I ended up getting the TE with keyless and shift assist so ended up going the other way. However If I was after another I would stick to my guns and order a basic one with a couple of choice extras and wait out the delivery time.

Touring I like and want the following :

1 Heated grips.... a must
2. GPS Preparation.... a must

I will be changing my bike (kTm) in 2019. If I go bmw, it will be a basic model with the above.

I detest electronic semi active suspension.

In my case because it has been a totally unreliable piece of crap with issues from day one that have never been cured and now after 14,000 miles and 34 months it needs a pair of new shocks, plus all of the ESA equipped bike I have ridden has never handled as well as my old GSA with quality aftermarket suspension.
The GSA 's I have ridden have all had harsh and unforgiving suspension that only really works on billiard smooth roads and at other times has felt unsettled .

When will BMW realise that harsh (hard) suspension does not equate to good suspension and a good handling bike........... that view should have died out in the 70's

In my case because it has been a totally unreliable piece of crap with issues from day one that have never been cured and now after 14,000 miles and 34 months it needs a pair of new shocks, plus all of the ESA equipped bike I have ridden has never handled as well as my old GSA with quality aftermarket suspension.
The GSA 's I have ridden have all had harsh and unforgiving suspension that only really works on billiard smooth roads and at other times has felt unsettled .

When will BMW realise that harsh (hard) suspension does not equate to good suspension and a good handling bike........... that view should have died out in the 70's

Even the in enduro mode ? I find each mode suits the conditions pretty close to perfect . I don't understand stand why anyone would spend £2k on a basic GS when you can only set up the manual suspension for one type of road , and then only for a certain bump . The esa looks at the all the time . I know we've discussed this before but I can't see it . In 5 years time all bikes will have ESA :thumb

Were your complaints regarding the suspension logged by your dealer during the warranty period? Luckily mine were, so BMW replaced my rear shock absorber FOC last year after 16k miles at 30 months old :beerjug:

I've recently been messing about with the bike configurator thinking about what I actually want and need that is fitted on my GSA TE model :

1. Dynamic ESA persistantly troublesome POS (now at 14,000 miles my bike needs a pair of new shocks)
2. LED headlight ....never go out in the dark and bloody expensive to replace in comparison to a £5 halogen bulb
3. Gear Assist pro........ gimmicky troublesome POS ( 4 updates later )

Touring I like and want the following :

1 Heated grips.... a must
2. GPS Preparation.... a must
3. On board Computer.... yep
4 Cruise Control.....suprisingly useful
5. LED Indicators
6. Led Foglights
7. Pannier rails.

So put those 7 options onto a basic model and knock its price up from £13,400 to £15,110 which is still a saving of over £2000 on a new TE model .

Think that if I do buy another GSA this will be the route I will take and i will make it a keeper by spending some of the saved money on a pair of Maxton Shocks to complete the pacakge

I'm surprised you selected LED indicators. My standard indicators have had one bulb in 20k miles, so I'm about £196 up at the moment. I didn't order the LED headlight either as I rarely ride in the dark and the standard headlight has only had one replacement £7 bulb

What actually went wrong with the ESA Neil out of interest ?

I like Neil's configuration only I'd want the LED headlight. Trick is to find one, probably have to order it here too.

Lets just say that the suspension faults on my bike have been both long, constant and varied.

So much so that I have now decided that when mine goes in for its warranty work I'm going to price up fully my options on a basic combined with getting a set of coded locks to a new bike fitted to my luggage .

New toy may be on the cards for March

Seriously think that BMW should do an option removal package as well as a one to add options, ie order a TE minus the ESA ,gear assist pro and other crap you don't want

Already discussing my next new GS with my dealer. That will be basic model with few select options like cruise, heated grips, sat nav prep. Will then be tweaked with Ohlins TTX shocks. Only thing I'm waiting for is possible news of new model with the 1250 engine and VVT.
Had one of the first WC models March 2013 and with all the TB and now Rallye variants released, history suggests there must be an improved/revamped engine due soon, possibly 2019, as that will be 6 years from its first launch.

Already discussing my next new GS with my dealer. That will be basic model with few select options like cruise, heated grips, sat nav prep. Will then be tweaked with Ohlins TTX shocks. Only thing I'm waiting for is possible news of new model with the 1250 engine and VVT.
Had one of the first WC models March 2013 and with all the TB and now Rallye variants released, history suggests there must be an improved/revamped engine due soon, possibly 2019, as that will be 6 years from its first launch.

The one I had my eye on has sold.
Like you I will wait until next model as BMW have no basics for sale and little interest in ordering one, though it would seem there is plenty of interest from people who ride them day in day out

Thing is if a new model R1250 GS LC VVT model comes out in 2019 the GSA (which is what I want ) will not be released until at least a year after that .

Also from previous experience of many owners never,never,never buy a newly released BMW model from the first couple of production batches , they will not pay you for the development riding that you are doing for them.

I am willing to wait until next spring so it will be interesting to see if when pressurised BMW UK will import basic bikes (see plenty of them on the continent)

Just wondered if anyone was running a basic WC GSA ?
Shite weather recently and my commute has got bigger
I love the basic stuff of my scrambler and was thinking of getting a no frills GSA as they are about £13500 or so . May get rid of the T Max as to replace that is ££11000
Just wondering. I could get modes and heated grips , that's all I want . No PCP so want to keep it as cheap as possible :D

I've had 4 GSAs, 2 x 1150s, 1 twin cam and my current WC. I've always bought the base model with heated grips and luggage, I don't want or need anything else. The WC comes as standard with ABS, ASC and riding modes (which I've never altered in 2 years). :thumb

Converted my GS LC from ESA to manual TTX Ohlins today ...All i can say is the build quality is night and day, the TTX's are beautifully made with top notch materials, just sitting on the bike is totally different..very plush, totally different to the standard ESA Shocks which are very cheap and nasty by comparison and shouldn't be on a 15k bike

Converted my GS LC from ESA to manual TTX Ohlins today ...All i can say is the build quality is night and day, the TTX's are beautifully made with top notch materials, just sitting on the bike is totally different..very plush, totally different to the standard ESA Shocks which are very cheap and nasty by comparison and shouldn't be on a 15k bike

That's the problem with modern BMW's though isn't it! A flash badge glued onto a collection of cheap and often poorly made components. Trading off the brand name.

The OP should go and ride a Super Tenere. If it's to be a purchase and commuting work horse it fits the bill. 200+ mile range, narrow enough to filter easily, fast enough for the open stretches of the commute, good weather protection and very little buffeting (with the optional winglets), 10,000 mile service intervals and unbelievably reliable.

The gearbox is good and doesn't need a quick shifter to make clean changes and neutral is always easy to select which is useful in town. Shaft drive without the paralever complexity which it doesn't need anyway as shaft jack is virtually nil. Good headlights as standard get much better with either HID or LED lamps installed. I have the former and as the dip beam is created by a shutter mechanism there is no lag for high beam.

Oh, the C of G is very low making it easy to move about and low speed filtering even with a full tank of fuel.

I thought that I'd miss the tele-lever front suspension of my GS but I don't. Although the Yam suspension isn't Ohlins quality it is good enough and adjustable front and rear. AT 25,000 miles mine feels as good as new.

That's the problem with modern BMW's though isn't it! A flash badge glued onto a collection of cheap and often poorly made components. Trading off the brand name.

The gearbox is good and doesn't need a quick shifter to make clean changes and neutral is always easy to select which is useful in town. Shaft drive without the paralever complexity which it doesn't need anyway as shaft jack is virtually nil.

Nice to hear some enthusiasm for the capable Yamaha (which has been largely overlooked by the market)

I'm not sure anyone could agree with your odd comments on the quickshifter! The BMW one blips the throttle automaticaly to ease downshifts.
It works well !

No matter how well engineered the Yam box is, it can never be as fulfilling or enjoyable as a GS with a quickshifter as you decellerate into a roundabout or bend.

The paralever is a superb design and has been copied by other manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom