Anyone run a basic R1200GSA Wc no electronics etc

From Motorrad Central?

Yep, that will teach my wife to let me go up there without adult supervision !

Mind you typically my old bike was fitted with new shocks and switchgear under warranty and now appears fine but I have lost any faith i had in ESA

Yep, that will teach my wife to let me go up there without adult supervision !

Mind you typically my old bike was fitted with new shocks and switchgear under warranty and now appears fine but I have lost any faith i had in ESA

Traded mine in there recently in preparation for new one next year. Will be going for similar set up to you apart from the LED lights. Going for Ohlins TTX rather than ESA.

Had several bikes with quality suspension as standard fitment and others I've upgraded, that enables me to eventually find the perfect settings that suit my needs. Haven't yet experienced that level of satisfaction with 3 ESA equipped BMW's!!

I am running the Ohlins TTX , no complaints , I was interested in willbers as they do dual rate damping units but would only supply a basic budget front, for the lc,
If you do want led, the cyclops kit works well with good beam pattern, and a tidy install,

I enquired about a bum basic GSA this time last year - none in stock in the U.K. - I was told they were special order - 3 months...

Worth asking before you get serious...( however this nice top spec one is available next week!!! )

Exactly what I was told . None available 6-8 week wait and only £2000 less than the TE available with keyless and gear shift assist.
That's with a top box plus free first service. What do you think I did:D:eek:

Exactly what I was told . None available 6-8 week wait and only £2000 less than the TE available with keyless and gear shift assist.
That's with a top box plus free first service. What do you think I did:D:eek:

According to BMW website a basic is £13400 and with gear shift pro and keyless it should be £14075 whereas base price for a TE model is £17,120 which means the basic works out £3045 cheaper so either the dealer has their figures wrong or the free service and top box are costing you £1045

According to BMW website a basic is £13400 and with gear shift pro and keyless it should be £14075 whereas base price for a TE model is £17,120 which means the basic works out £3045 cheaper so either the dealer has their figures wrong or the free service and top box are costing you £1045

I guess I'd specced it with some extras sat nav ready heated grips fog lights computer and tyre pressure monitor . I think a generous px on my trade in helped .

Mmm Interseting according to my insurers a basic r1200gsa fitted with the comfort pack , gps prep pack ,onboard computer pro ,cruise control ,led fogs,led indicators and pannier rails (all of which are dealer/manufacturers options and none of which are performance enhancing ) is a higher risk than a TE model that is fitted with them and other options as standard and is also £2500 more expensive .

Fraid next renewal date in March they will be getting told to F.R.O

ordered a new 1250 gs, basic model, comes with led headlights, tft screen and hill start as standard. Added heated grips and gps preparation. No esa.

being built and should be mine 2nd week in February

ordered a new 1250 gs, basic model, comes with led headlights, tft screen and hill start as standard. Added heated grips and gps preparation. No esa.

being built and should be mine 2nd week in February

Very nice, enjoy :)

I have a bog std GS LC 2015... it only has road / rain mode, and a LED running light thats it. I have fitted Oxford heated grips (so they work) and a mechanical cruse control.... It has ABS as they all do and I think this also means traction... but no ESA and all the rest of the stuff... I wanted a bike to keep, so the less 'stuff' for me was the best option. If Mrs B does go on the back, 30 sec's and the shocks are re-set... simples...
But I have no idea what you can buy these days... this one took some getting as the UK sellers only want to sell full spec bikes... I think you stand a better chance of a base model outside of the UK :)

I have a bog std GS LC 2015... it only has road / rain mode, and a LED running light thats it. I have fitted Oxford heated grips (so they work) and a mechanical cruse control.... It has ABS as they all do and I think this also means traction... but no ESA and all the rest of the stuff... I wanted a bike to keep, so the less 'stuff' for me was the best option. If Mrs B does go on the back, 30 sec's and the shocks are re-set... simples...
But I have no idea what you can buy these days... this one took some getting as the UK sellers only want to sell full spec bikes... I think you stand a better chance of a base model outside of the UK :)

I was told last year by a BMW dealer in Austria that their paying customers buy basics , but the bikes they have for their hire fleet are TE spec as that what hirers (especially the foreigners) expect .

I was told initially that the 1250 range were not going to be available in basic ie non esa spec , however, looking at the configurator that is not correct

I ordered a basic model in January 2014 and the lead time was about six weeks. I’d do the same again if I was going to buy a new one, but this time without ESA.

With regards to insurance, I thought manufacturers standard options weren’t classed as modifications? Obviously they need to know the value of the vehicle, but I know my BMW car insurers weren’t interested exactly which standard options are fitted to my 320d and I’ve never even thought about mentioning the ESA, heated grips, Dynamic mode and low seat on my basic GS :nenau

Attachments

• 39D71F70-B3EA-4836-A7C5-30E0929EA144.jpg
    39D71F70-B3EA-4836-A7C5-30E0929EA144.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 238
  • A549BA52-C899-48FC-85EE-DAE4ED81DCC2.jpeg
    A549BA52-C899-48FC-85EE-DAE4ED81DCC2.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 230
think if I was on a long trip (been watching the long way down) I'd want manual shocks. they did on the GS's they used, swaped the std to Ohlins I think... only thing that went wrong!... but not sure how ESA would stand up to much off road use?... what are they using in Wales these days at the training school??

think if I was on a long trip (been watching the long way down) I'd want manual shocks. they did on the GS's they used, swaped the std to Ohlins I think... only thing that went wrong!... but not sure how ESA would stand up to much off road use?... what are they using in Wales these days at the training school??

I’ve ordered a standard Rallye with a few extras but no ESA. The main change though is having the shocks replaced with Ohlins TTX ones. Did speak with Maxton but the front shock they recommended didn’t have Compression damping and the quote was not far off Ohlins prices.

I’ve ordered a standard Rallye with a few extras but no ESA. The main change though is having the shocks replaced with Ohlins TTX ones. Did speak with Maxton but the front shock they recommended didn’t have Compression damping and the quote was not far off Ohlins prices.

I'd love some Ohlins or 'others' just to try and see how they work... will get some as the existing get a little older...

Mine is a 2018 GSA totally bog standard not even an i pad screen, less to go wrong, still does what its supposed to do , Only added ACF50 from new and gonna just ride the thing , no extra BMW badges to be seen. Got £1000 off bottom price too as its built in to take off when you add the extras on ... Bingo

Back
Top Bottom