Anyone run a basic R1200GSA Wc no electronics etc

How's the market for Super Tenere's in the UK?

If you like them you're in luck over here because leftover new ones are cheap and plentiful, and used Tenere's are dirt cheap. From what I've heard from owners the main reason is they're just underwhelming to ride.

My riding bud finally traded his 2012 Tenere' (after having the top end rebuilt at 29K) on an 1190 KTM and says (other than engine heat) the 1190 is worlds better in every way.

Nice to hear some enthusiasm for the capable Yamaha (which has been largely overlooked by the market)

I'm not sure anyone could agree with your odd comments on the quickshifter! The BMW one blips the throttle automaticaly to ease downshifts.
It works well !

No matter how well engineered the Yam box is, it can never be as fulfilling or enjoyable as a GS with a quickshifter as you decellerate into a roundabout or bend.

The paralever is a superb design and has been copied by other manufacturers.

BMW started fitting the quickshifter as a response to the myriad complaints about the diabolical WC GS transmission. I'm sure that it does the job required, improving the gearchange experience, until of course it goes wrong. There is also some thoughts that a quickshifter whilst perfect on a race bike may significantly shorten the life of a transmission. I actually enjoy blipping the throttle of my bike myself as I tap down through the gears. For me it's part of the riding fun.

The paralever is an excellent design and tamed the shaft jacking that BMW's were famed for. The Yam doesn't have that problem and so doesn't need the complexity and additional service requirements.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

That's interesting as I've test ridden a super 10 on 3 occasions. First a 2010 model I think, then a 2012 and finally a 2014 model. My impressions were that it was heavy, not very agile, very heavy clutch, uninspiring engine feel and sound and a feeing of just wanting to get off and on almost anything else. I must admit I haven't tried one of the latest ones but all the build quality in the world counts for nothing if you hate riding it!

1-BMW started fitting the quickshifter as a response to the myriad complaints about the diabolical WC GS transmission.

2-There is also some thoughts that a quickshifter whilst perfect on a race bike may significantly shorten the life of a transmission.

1- it's was merely coincidence these clashed, Bmw had already planned to fit quickshifters following great Sucess with the R/RR range and to follow the market trend.

2- is Rubbish there is no long term effect to transmission, there's no load on the trans when they mesh, they only time you could do damage is when you think you can replicate the quickshifter by coming off the throttle and changing gear without the clutch, quickshifter is 4x faster than blink of the eye and cannot be replicated.

Been looking around for the last few weeks at a replacement for my 2014 R1200GSA TE LC, I had half decided a specced up basic GSA (as mentioned previously) but thought I would give the opposition a look:-

a. Top of the list is the Triumph Explorer , but a small tank and again they seem to be electronics heavy although the finish and ergonomics are good and the switchgear really puts the BMW to shame
b. Suzuki V Strom 1000 ...... like the idea but the local dealer has no demo bike and to be honest I would need a decent test ride to make up my mind
c. KTM 1090/1290 ................same dealer as above and never mind a demo they didn't have bikes in stock !!!!!
d. Yamaha Super Tenere .... tried the original model demo and last years model , I really like them but my wife can't seem to get comfortable on the back. Rumour has it that an all new model is in the pipeline
e. Honda Africa Twin , stunning looks ,comfortable and again good ergonomics but no shaft drive.

No interest in the Ducati Multistrada , the Kawasaki Versys or the Honda Crosstourer .

Looks like week after next when my bike is in for service/recall and other random repairs I will have to put a bit of pressure on the sales lot about a decent price for a basic

Been looking around for the last few weeks at a replacement for my 2014 R1200GSA TE LC, I had half decided a specced up basic GSA (as mentioned previously) but thought I would give the opposition a look:-

a. Top of the list is the Triumph Explorer , but a small tank and again they seem to be electronics heavy although the finish and ergonomics are good and the switchgear really puts the BMW to shame
b. Suzuki V Strom 1000 ...... like the idea but the local dealer has no demo bike and to be honest I would need a decent test ride to make up my mind
c. KTM 1090/1290 ................same dealer as above and never mind a demo they didn't have bikes in stock !!!!!
d. Yamaha Super Tenere .... tried the original model demo and last years model , I really like them but my wife can't seem to get comfortable on the back. Rumour has it that an all new model is in the pipeline
e. Honda Africa Twin , stunning looks ,comfortable and again good ergonomics but no shaft drive.

No interest in the Ducati Multistrada , the Kawasaki Versys or the Honda Crosstourer .

Looks like week after next when my bike is in for service/recall and other random repairs I will have to put a bit of pressure on the sales lot about a decent price for a basic

Is that to Coopers or Motorrad Central?

Motorrad Central I haven't set foot in the other premises since 2011 and have no intention of ever going back

I will second that. I was recommended to go to Motorrad Central by someone in the trade from The Hill. Its brilliant going to a motorbike shop with staff who don't wear suits, rather than a sterile soulless car dealership that happens to stock bikes.

Bit more of a travel but the roads to there make it worthwhile, as does the free coffee and bacon sandwiches on Saturdays!!! My next GS will be from Dalkeith but also going for basic with Ohlins TTX, as they have a technician there who is Ohlins GP racing trained.

I've had 4 GSAs, 2 x 1150s, 1 twin cam and my current WC. I've always bought the base model with heated grips and luggage, I don't want or need anything else. The WC comes as standard with ABS, ASC and riding modes (which I've never altered in 2 years). :thumb

Strange you should say that. Mine has rarely been out of Road. As the missus goes pillion with me quite often it makes sense to me at least to have the ESA (for the ease of adjustability on the fly and preload settings) but I figured out that the standard rear spring is not enough for 2 up with luggage and with that I mean 15kg (weighed it last time) per pannier and about 10kg rollbag on the rear rack. No frills GS if you tour on your own, yes, with quality suspension or buy a KTM or such like and rework the internals.

My GSA before the LC was a basic 2011 tc model bought new with heated grips, spots and pannier rails, to be honest the standard shocks were okay but I fitted Maxtons after 3000 or so miles .

Delivered set up for me, after that the front shock was never touched regarding adjustments either solo or two up and the rear could be left alone for solo/ solo with luggage and all it needed for two up was three turns on the hydraulic preload adjuster on the rear.

On anything other than totally billiard table smooth roads the TC with Maxtons would run rings arond the GSA LC with ESA (and it would be done in plush comfort)

1- it's was merely coincidence these clashed, Bmw had already planned to fit quickshifters following great Sucess with the R/RR range and to follow the market trend.

2- is Rubbish there is no long term effect to transmission, there's no load on the trans when they mesh, they only time you could do damage is when you think you can replicate the quickshifter by coming off the throttle and changing gear without the clutch, quickshifter is 4x faster than blink of the eye and cannot be replicated.

Got to disagree on the transmission statement. When using the quick shifter, the lever pressure needed is significantly more than when changing gear normally, or at least on my bike it is. That increased pressure can only be generated from the shift forks waiting till the electronics do their stuff releasing the load on the transmission to let the shift take place. All this happens very quickly but I cant help wondering if this extra loading is going to cause problems with worn gearbox shifting mechanisms on higher mileage bikes. The reason why BMW say keep the throttle open when going up or shut off completely when changing down is to maintain this pressure on the transmission components or the gear change would simply drop through with no synchronisation of engine revs which would normally result in a hard change and as you say could cause damage.

On the other hand

If BMW have taken all this into account and used harder wearing materials for the shifting mechanisms then all should be ok. (I'm not holding my breath though)

Well I've put my money where my mouth is and ordered a basic, worked out what I actually use on my TE and specced those features as extras.

Cruise control , TPC, Heated grips, On board Computer Pro, GPS preperation , LED Fogs, LED Indicators and Pannier Rails.

No more LED Headlight , ESA or Shift Assist Pro and definitely not having keyless or TFT preparation or SOS calling option .

Don't need all the riding modes as other than ROAD and RAIN modes my TE has been in DYNAMIC once and never been in ENDURO or ENDURO PRO.

Roll on October, this one may be a keeper

If I were forced to buy an LC I would only have a basic one - heated grips is about all I would add. Lighter, cheaper, more realiable that way.

Then, you might just about consider it to be an adventure bike rather than a blinged out tourer........

Well I've put my money where my mouth is and ordered a basic, worked out what I actually use on my TE and specced those features as extras.

Cruise control , TPC, Heated grips, On board Computer Pro, GPS preperation , LED Fogs, LED Indicators and Pannier Rails.

No more LED Headlight , ESA or Shift Assist Pro and definitely not having keyless or TFT preparation or SOS calling option .

Don't need all the riding modes as other than ROAD and RAIN modes my TE has been in DYNAMIC once and never been in ENDURO or ENDURO PRO.

Roll on October, this one may be a keeper
How much cheaper was it?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

The specification I've ordered is nearly £2500 cheaper than a TE model .

Had I got no options the (basic) BASIC model is £13,400 compared to £17,120 for the TE model .

The new BMW bike configurator has all of the models and their prices , includes the Rallye GSA .......... looks like the mid spec XE model is now history

Pretty much what I'd do Neil other than order it with LED headlight and forgo the LED blinkers.
What color?

Pretty much what I'd do Neil other than order it with LED headlight and forgo the LED blinkers.
What color?

Racing Red............ No LED headlight as I've never been out at night on a bike for 20 years

Fastest color, and makes perfect sense.

Looking forward to your initial impression in a couple months.

You mention October, what was the quoted delivery time in weeks? I may be interested in something similar...

Was initially going to be week 43 (23/10/17) but been told today it has changed overnight to week 38 (18/09/17) that is for a bike that is currently in build

Back
Top Bottom