Anyone run a basic R1200GSA Wc no electronics etc

Robbo1200ADV

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone was running a basic WC GSA ?
Shite weather recently and my commute has got bigger
I love the basic stuff of my scrambler and was thinking of getting a no frills GSA as they are about £13500 or so . May get rid of the T Max as to replace that is ££11000
Just wondering. I could get modes and heated grips , that's all I want . No PCP so want to keep it as cheap as possible :D

Currently doing a 5 mile commute around Nottingham ring road. Whilst power and gear shift assist are good the width of the GSA hampers filtering especially van / 4x4 mirrors. Thinking of getting a 250/350 myself for day to day.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Maybe should explain. Sold my GSA XE 2 months ago , now actually miss it but not the complexity . Looking at a basic GSA without all the doo dar . Wondered if anyone had one ?

My l/c GSA is 2014 and I dont know what a basic one comes with. They all have ABS. I could live without the electronic djustable suspension. I like the anti wheelspin whetever, alarm, heated grips would like tps thats the tyre pressure monitring. Bmw call it control. I asked the salesman to show me how it was controled. Sorry if thats confusing. All the modes are a bit ott mine stays in road. Its a big bike but I commute on it every day and have no problem. Highley recomended. Are you not a bit old for one? JJH

I have a GS standard, only heated grips and cruise. Once I set up the suspension, haven't touched it. Roads around here are shit :rolleyes:
I would like better lights, but that's about it.

I would find asc more usefull around trown than cruse control which I have and find usefull at times. JJH

My l/c GSA is 2014 and I dont know what a basic one comes with. They all have ABS. I could live without the electronic djustable suspension. I like the anti wheelspin whetever, alarm, heated grips would like tps thats the tyre pressure monitring. Bmw call it control. I asked the salesman to show me how it was controled. Sorry if thats confusing. All the modes are a bit ott mine stays in road. Its a big bike but I commute on it every day and have no problem. Highley recomended. Are you not a bit old for one? JJH

Erm no not too old:D I'm mid 50's !

I wondered how long it wold take for you to spot it. Your never too old. I'm mid 50s myself. JJH

Must admit I considered this after all the issues I had with the Dynamic Esa on the one I had :)

No, but I have just bought a 2017 GS with no additional electrics whatsoever and don't miss any of it whatsoever. However, if I rode through the winter then I may have gone for heated grips, or maybe just fitted aftermarket ones and save myself nearly £200.

I enquired about a bum basic GSA this time last year - none in stock in the U.K. - I was told they were special order - 3 months...

Worth asking before you get serious...( however this nice top spec one is available next week!!! )

I enquired about a bum basic GSA this time last year - none in stock in the U.K. - I was told they were special order - 3 months...

Worth asking before you get serious...( however this nice top spec one is available next week!!! )

I had exactly the same thing when I ordered my GSA in 2014, enquired about if there were any basics in the UK , reply no BMW UK have non in stock, ask will there be any coming into the UK , reply no there are no plans to build any in the June production run.

So if I wanted one at that time there was at least a 5 month wait until the 2015 spec bikes were built so i ended up with a TE model

If I buy another GSA it will be a basic fitted with good quality aftermarket shocks

I have the pauper version with heated grips, Hyperpro springs fitted, use road mode only, done 40 thousand miles no problems. never missed the toys. :rolleyes:

They always tell you that the higher the spec the more money they make

They are hard to find. There is one I have found at £12500 3000 miles very basic just heated grips and a rack. They list at £13400 new so not much of a saving , no new ones in the U.K. I had a TC basic which was brilliant , again hard to find now. It's the aging electronics that puts me off, and my WC that I've just sold occasionally used to throw a hissy fit with the suspension though nothing ever showed up at the dealers . I love the basic ness of my scramber but miss the all weather abilities of the GSA , and we've had a lot of weather down here recently.There arn't really any other bikes I can find that do it all. Had a look at a tracer 900 but it seemed very 2 bob though the fit was good for me. Half the fun of looking for a new bike is the looking for a new bike I guess :D:green gri

I've recently been messing about with the bike configurator thinking about what I actually want and need that is fitted on my GSA TE model :

1. Dynamic ESA persistantly troublesome POS (now at 14,000 miles my bike needs a pair of new shocks)
2. LED headlight ....never go out in the dark and bloody expensive to replace in comparison to a £5 halogen bulb
3. Gear Assist pro........ gimmicky troublesome POS ( 4 updates later )

Touring I like and want the following :

1 Heated grips.... a must
2. GPS Preparation.... a must
3. On board Computer.... yep
4 Cruise Control.....suprisingly useful
5. LED Indicators
6. Led Foglights
7. Pannier rails.

So put those 7 options onto a basic model and knock its price up from £13,400 to £15,110 which is still a saving of over £2000 on a new TE model .

Think that if I do buy another GSA this will be the route I will take and i will make it a keeper by spending some of the saved money on a pair of Maxton Shocks to complete the pacakge

A couple of years back when I was considering a new bike - I did think about getting a basic LC and adding Wilbers suspension.

The basic GS isn't imported into UK as a general rule- only available to special order.

Most people want the bells and whistles........ (until the bike is 4+yrs old, when the basic one looks like they might be the smarter choice).

Al

Back
Top Bottom