bike needs a good service!

andrewrlees

Reaction score
Hello all. I am looking for a bit of help. I have 99 1150gs and it has been stood still for almost 2 years. This was due to illness but I am now desperate to get her back out. I am looking to get her fully serviced. Any recommendations in or beer Glasgow would be really appreciated. Thanks guys!!

I would do it for you but im in Fife so a bit far out. Youd be better getting a manual and changing the oils and filters yourself, these bikes really are dead easy to work on ;)

If you can be bothered to go as far as Duns there's a brilliant BMW trained mechanic there at Border Bikes called Andy Minns, very reasonable and does MOT's too. Will usually provide a courtesy bike.

Thanks for all the great advice chaps. After all of the help above I have decided to get the spanners out and give it a go myself. If it all goes wrong then I may visit the guys in Kilwinning. wish me luck!!:D

Thanks for all the great advice chaps. After all of the help above I have decided to get the spanners out and give it a go myself. If it all goes wrong then I may visit the guys in Kilwinning. wish me luck!!:D

Was it running well when it was laid up?
Was it prepared for long term storage or just had to be abandoned? Was it left in a garage/shed or outside uncovered?

I'd start by making sure that the battery is fully charged.
Take out the plugs and spray a bit of oil into the plug holes and then turn it over for a minute plugs out to get some lubrication in the cylinders and moving through the oil galleries before trying to start it. Then try and start it, if it goes just do a standard service.
Check the state of the alternator belt, it may be cracked/knackered standing unused.
Check the brakes work before trying to move or ride it, the calipers may have seized if it was last ridden in the winter or wet.

If you need a hand PM me, I'm Glasgow too and put almost 100,000 miles on my own 1150GS and did my own maintenance once it was out of warranty
. May even have a new unused belt kicking around the garage somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom