San Francisco: what to do with 3 days??

Craig, time for some proper advice. You can get a lot done in 3 days over there and if you want to rent a bike you will have a blast and ride some utterly fantastic roads.

Rental options are Eaglerider or Dubbelju who rent proper motorcycles and not just HD's. You will also be able to rent your riding gear from them but as the weather will still be warm/hot, you will only need the basics.

My favourite part of any riding there is north if SF so head over the GG bridge and get the money shot on the headland over looking the bridge. Get across to Highway 1 via Mt Tamalpais and just follw you nose north on Hwy 1. In my opinion, this northern section is the best part of the road with fantastic views, a great windy road and very little traffic as a rule. It's a bit slower than you think it is because you are forever stopping for pictures so just bible along. I would overnight somewhere like Fort Bragg or Mendicino. If you wanted to go farther north, you will find teh Avenue of teh Giants which is fantastic. If you were short on time, head inland from Fort Bragg and run across to napa Valley and ride through some great country side before heading back to SF. You could do a 2 or 3 day trip depending on your time.

My personal thing would be to have a 2 day trip and a day in SF which is a great city. If you want to go to Alcatraz you will have to book way in advance because you cannot just rock up and expect to get on a tour.

If you wanted to go south, run down out of SF and pick up Hwy 35 Skyline Boulevard just south of the airport and have breakfast at Alices restaurant on the Skyline. A very iconic place and some great bikes and cars go there at the weekend. Back onto 1 just north of Monterey and head down past the Big Sur but double check teh road is open as there were huge landslides last winter. Get down to just north of LA and head north again at Ojai on Hwy 33 which runs back north but inland. Many people ignore these inland roads but they are brilliant riding. That would be a good 2 day trip.

If you want some firm routes or more info, let me know and sort some out for you.

Craig, time for some proper advice. You can get a lot done in 3 days over there and if you want to rent a bike you will have a blast and ride some utterly fantastic roads.

Rental options are Eaglerider or Dubbelju who rent proper motorcycles and not just HD's. You will also be able to rent your riding gear from them but as the weather will still be warm/hot, you will only need the basics.

My favourite part of any riding there is north if SF so head over the GG bridge and get the money shot on the headland over looking the bridge. Get across to Highway 1 via Mt Tamalpais and just follw you nose north on Hwy 1. In my opinion, this northern section is the best part of the road with fantastic views, a great windy road and very little traffic as a rule. It's a bit slower than you think it is because you are forever stopping for pictures so just bible along. I would overnight somewhere like Fort Bragg or Mendicino. If you wanted to go farther north, you will find teh Avenue of teh Giants which is fantastic. If you were short on time, head inland from Fort Bragg and run across to napa Valley and ride through some great country side before heading back to SF. You could do a 2 or 3 day trip depending on your time.

My personal thing would be to have a 2 day trip and a day in SF which is a great city. If you want to go to Alcatraz you will have to book way in advance because you cannot just rock up and expect to get on a tour.

If you wanted to go south, run down out of SF and pick up Hwy 35 Skyline Boulevard just south of the airport and have breakfast at Alices restaurant on the Skyline. A very iconic place and some great bikes and cars go there at the weekend. Back onto 1 just north of Monterey and head down past the Big Sur but double check teh road is open as there were huge landslides last winter. Get down to just north of LA and head north again at Ojai on Hwy 33 which runs back north but inland. Many people ignore these inland roads but they are brilliant riding. That would be a good 2 day trip.

If you want some firm routes or more info, let me know and sort some out for you.

Sgt Bilco, that sounds great.

I'll check out Dubbelju.

Your idea of north to fort brag and that back via the Napa valley sounds like the right kind of thing.

I'd appreciate any guidance on route you can provide. If it makes sense to do in a two day trip like that with a Fort Bragg stopover then that sounds perfect. I could head out early Friday and return late Saturday, thereby leaving Sunday for a lazy day in the city itself before needing to fly back.

Cheers,
Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt Bilco, that sounds great.

I'll check out Dubbelju.

Your idea of north to fort brag and that back via the Napa valley sounds like the right kind of thing.

I'd appreciate any guidance on route you can provide. If it makes sense to do in a two day trip like that with a Fort Bragg stopover then that sounds perfect. I could head out early Friday and return late Saturday, thereby leaving Sunday for a lazy day in the city itself before needing to fly back.

Cheers,
Craig

OK mate, I'll get on it for you. I ride those roads every year and they are fantastic.

This looks very much like the tour I was thinking of. I think I'll lock it all in and do the bike thing!!!

I dont know if they still do the Sunday morning ride on Shoreline Highway in Marin County's Tamalpais Valley but it used to be bonkers.
Dont go south of SF not a lot of interest for a bike ride.

I dont know if they still do the Sunday morning ride on Shoreline Highway in Marin County's Tamalpais Valley but it used to be bonkers.

They do Pat and it's not for the faint hearted or tourist :eek: I've done it a few times with friends and you visit parts of the tyres you didn't think was possible :D

The Big Sur section of the PCH lives up to the hype IMHO. North of San Francisco its massively overrated

Top advice here.
I did much of this mostly heading south, however the GG was shrouded in fog the day we went over (September).
The Napa Vally, Santa Barbara, Monterey were great as was the 17 Mile Drive and Carmel.
Fcuk it, go for three weeks.:D
Oh, and my trip down the Big Sur was also fog bound.:(

If you're going to spend a day in SF, I'd highly recommend hiring a pushbike and riding around the bay and over the Golden Gate Bridge as views are spectacular and constantly changing. We caught the ferry back from Tiburon after a 19 mile ride and this goes straight past Alcatraz

b0369cb639fb5525df1c062bed1f4a5b.jpg

3f48d22cfa816989048a710d1c38fd78.jpg

0067192603c89de22dcf7d3cb998d260.jpg

d35f8bb74f84641aa033835709d763b0.jpg

bea665dfabeeb1a136ade4ca49f19f82.jpg

If you're going to spend a day in SF, I'd highly recommend hiring a pushbike and riding around the bay and over the Golden Gate Bridge as views are spectacular and constantly changing. We caught the ferry back from Tiburon after a 19 mile ride and this goes straight past Alcatraz

b0369cb639fb5525df1c062bed1f4a5b.jpg

3f48d22cfa816989048a710d1c38fd78.jpg

0067192603c89de22dcf7d3cb998d260.jpg

d35f8bb74f84641aa033835709d763b0.jpg

bea665dfabeeb1a136ade4ca49f19f82.jpg

Looks great, thanks

If it were me I wouldn't be so eager to leave SF. A great few days would include

- Day 1 morning visit to Alcatraz...well worth it. PM Segway tour or just go to Haight and hang out with the hippy' crowd...get the vibe and some great street food.

- Day 2 across the Golden Gate to Sausalito for breakfast....failing that head of Chesnut and Divisidero and have breakfast at one of the many cool cafes. Then head across the bridge to Marin county and up to mount Tam....views across the Bay Area are awesome. Then to muir woods for the gaint redwoods.

- Day 3 possible bike hire across the bridge again along the coast road past Stimson beach up to Inverness on point Reyes. Lunch at Inverness IN the San Andreas fault cafe.....yep, actually in the fault. Then out to the wild headland to whale watch from the shore...should see some grey whales this time of year.....awesome scenery as well.

Pretty full 3 days but will be stunning.

Back
Top Bottom