San Francisco: what to do with 3 days??

CraigRK

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

In a couple of weeks I head out to San Francisco on business. Work finishes at lunch time on Thursday (17 Aug) and return flight departs 7pm Sunday (20 Aug).

This gives me 3 days to do some sight seeing and being the kind of guy I am, I figured renting a bike would be the way to go.

Any suggestions at all?

Current thoughts are to go with Eaglerider and perhaps do one of their 3 day trips as it's all worked out already, and being my first US trip I don't want to trip up on anything obvious.

Other interests are cars in general and currently specifically American cars, so tying that in would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance,
Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monteray is worth a visit, about 2rs, and some of route 1, probably still closed after land slip. Golden Gate Bridge, breezy. Alcatraz if you have time, allow about 3 hrs and Pier 39, as a couple of examples.

Google, 'Top 10 things to do in San Francisco'.

Anything appeal? Great do one or more.

Nothing appeal? Hire a motorbike

Something appeal and want to hire a bike still? Do so, if time allows.

Google, 'Top 10 things to do in San Francisco'.

Anything appeal? Great do one or more.

Nothing appeal? Hire a motorbike

Something appeal and want to hire a bike still? Do so, if time allows.

Wise words indeed :D

Three things amongst many stick in my mind;

Modern Art Museum in the big park place ~ If that's your bag the architecture is fab and they have one of the best collections I've seen plus there's a great viewing platform thing you can go up and look out all over the city.

Alcatraz ~ I didn't expect to think much of it but was pleasantly surprised.

Food ~ Sooooooooo many superb places to eat, one of the best cities I've been to for great food.

Andres

I'm interested in this thread as I will be in San Francisco in May next year, also for 3 days, on my way back from Hawaii. I've got a trip to Alcatraz booked and a 3 day hop on-hop off bus ticket arranged. I have googled 3 days in SF but any personal recommendations will add to my list of options.

... I have googled 3 days in SF but any personal recommendations will add to my list of options.

My personal recommendation by way of an option for you to consider is:

That you darlingly Google: Top ten things to do in San Francisco. It's a few more words, I grant you but still fewer than your question.

If that's too many things, restrict it to the top five.

I do wonder what Ferdinand Magellan would have posted on Ye Olde El Espagnol GSer, had it been around in 1519, before he set off towards the distant horizon?

No doubt Alexander the Great in roughly 340BC would be asking of the oracle:

I and my mates am minded to march eastwards next year, anyone got any ideas on what to do to pass the time for a while? Any 'must-do' sites and of course any Macedonian friendly digs are always welcome you can't beat a bit of local knowledge, mate. Routes too, as there's 30,000 of us and we don't have a map.

Thanks all, great input. When by myself I'm less into the tourist things as all the time I'm thinking my other half & kids should be there. Hence thinking for motorcycle/car themed as that's my "selfish" hobby.

Great input? Blimey, things are slipping or someone is very easily pleased.

Don't want to do solo touristy type things? Then hire the motorbike and have done with it or stay in bed.

Wapping forgot to suggest the blindingly obvious.....

Google "The top ten motorcycle/car related things in San Francisco for a bloke to do on a three day trip without his wife and children but which aren't too solo touristy". :D

I have checked OP:

The words "San Francisco" might not immediately bring "kid-friendly activities" to mind,

but, with a little imagination and determination,

you and your whole family can uncover a treasure trove of fantastic activities.

The middle line renders you safe from encountering anything that would otherwise bring a whistful tear to the eye with memories of loved ones far removed. Yer biking is safe.

All joking apart, it's a great city. Plenty to do or not do, as you see fit on the mornings of your stay.

Alice's Restaurant is worth a visit on two or four wheels, if only so you can sing along with the song as you pull up ~ nice roads to it and runs through the redwoods as you near your pancakes and maple syrup pit stop...........................

Andres

PS Wapping, busy day at work today? :D

Go North GG Bridge, Marin County, Stinson Beach Bodaga Bay do a loop around to the wine county Napa.
Work your way to the Richmond bridge and visit San Quintin Jail + San Rafael.

Alice's Restaurant is worth a visit on two or four wheels, if only so you can sing along with the song as you pull up

Not everyone is up on Arlo Guthrie, so a'one, a'two a one, two three, four...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_8NrtPH3HR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Of course what you really must do is stand on the corner of Haight and Ashbury and think of Jerry and Bob's advice:

One of these days they know they better get goin'
Out of the door and down on the streets all alone.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pafY6sZt0FE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Food ~ Sooooooooo many superb places to eat, one of the best cities I've been to for great food.

Andres

But you live on dust and flowers, so that's not much of an endorsement! :aidan

Great input? Blimey, things are slipping or someone is very easily pleased.

Don't want to do solo touristy type things? Then hire the motorbike and have done with it or stay in bed.

Well, being the newbie, I thought I better be polite!!

Frankly, you guys seem to be a pleasant bunch of nutters!! In other words, just my kind of place!

The thing is, each to their own and it's difficult to make recommendations for others. But I thought I would ask in case there was a must see thing not to miss. Maybe some event on that weekend or something.

Go North GG Bridge, Marin County, Stinson Beach Bodaga Bay do a loop around to the wine county Napa.
Work your way to the Richmond bridge and visit San Quintin Jail + San Rafael.

This looks very much like the tour I was thinking of. I think I'll lock it all in and do the bike thing!!!

Craig , sometimes ( admittedly not all the while !) its better to rent a pushbike than a motorcycle ;

If you haven't already cycled the 26km bike path from San Fran to Tiburon, you must! It's one of the most stunning scenic coastlines in the world.

Maybe stop halfway for lunch in Sausalito; try 'Salito's Restaurant'. It's up past the tourist throng, about 3blocks north of the Ferry Terminal. Sample the fresh crab and prime ribs on superb open airy yacht style decking with beautiful waterfront views.

Hope you have a great trip.

Hire a bike or nice car. Head out to Groveland for a couple of nights. Visit Glacier Point. Head over the Tioga Pass to Bodie and head back via the Sonora Pass :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom