Ireland weekender

2 wheel humvee

www.humvee-graphics.com
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A couple of lads* I ride with locally hatched a plan at short notice for a long weekend away on the bikes, planned within the constraints of home responsibilities and shift patterns etc. we decided to head to Southern Ireland, the duration of our stay was also dictated somewhat by Ferry timetables so we chose the Stena crossing from Fishguard to Rosslare, outward Thursday departure time 12.30pm Inward Sunday departure time 08.00
* = (neither are on here although one used to be and was responsible for a humdinger of a thread about his experiences with BMW customer service that ran for months and months but enough of that......)

I pencilled together a route and booked in advance hotel stops for Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening leaving us (or rather me) to worry only about the route and the weather, all 3 of us live in South Wales so we met up as arranged last Thursday and took a scenic route toward Fishguard we eventually picked up the A40 West of Carmarthen and I lead us along the B4313 to Fishguard for a taste of the scenic country roads we hoped would follow across the water.
I am riding my GS Rallye Sport, Mark is riding a 1200GSA LC and Sean is also riding a Rallye Sport, Sean has christened his the "happy shopper" model as it doesn't have the Premium pack :D
Bikes loaded and secured;
IMG_1786-L.jpg

We got chatting to some Dutch GS riders on the car deck and our plans seemed similar to theirs we wondered if we would see them along the way.....
A relatively calm crossing passed quickly;
IMG_1789-L.jpg

Soon we arrived at Rosslare harbour and disembarked, I had booked us into Crew's apartments in Dungarvan which was around 75 miles from the ferry port, the journey passed without incident although traffic was busy near the towns we passed which meant a lot of filtering, we arrived at our digs, as there was no underground bunker in which to park our awesome steeds we parked in the street safe in the knowledge that the pound of butter in the fridge at home would ensure they received no unwanted attention ;)
IMG_1797-L.jpg

We were shown to our room which was a 3 bedroom apartment at a very reasonable 50euro a night each then we went for a beer and a wander, my first pint of the Black stuff on Irish soil :beer:
IMG_1803-L.jpg

We wandered a bit more;
IMG_1800-L.jpg

IMG_1818-L.jpg

IMG_1812-L.jpg

IMG_1814-L.jpg

Had a couple more beers.......
IMG_1805%20%28Edited%29-L.jpg

Then found a restaurant and had a bite to eat, neither of them had brought their reading glasses so both borrowed readers from the barmaids to peruse the Menu, Hinge & Bracket :D
IMG_1809-L.jpg

We ate and drank well and retired to our home for the night, the following morning Mark and I were up with the larks I put the coffee on and Mark got the Croissants :clap
Sean eventually rose and we left to pack the bikes which,thanks to the pound of butter in the fridge back home were where we had left them;
IMG_1810-L.jpg

Things didn't get off to a good start despite the good intentions and early start, my Nav 4 wouldn't power up in the cradle and Sean's phone hadn't charged overnight so he sat about rigging an on-bike charging solution, things took a turn for the worse when Mark offered to trim a wire for Sean and sliced open his thumb with his handy (razor sharp) pocket knife:blast not to worry Sean is a paramedic......but we couldn't summon a First Aid kit between us:nenau so with Mark's thumb bound with insulating tape and me navigating by a map in my tank bag pocket we set off for our first stop at The Old head of Kinsale to take a look at the memorial to the victims of the sinking of the Lusitania, in the pouring rain, as we neared the coast a thick fog descended for good measure, needless to say progress was steady :D

I'm sure it's an impressive sight on a clear day........but today in fog and driving rain not so much.
IMG_1827%20%28Edited%29-L.jpg

IMG_1824%20%28Edited%29-L.jpg

Fortunately the Napoleonic look out tower which houses a small museum and some Lusitania artifacts provided shelter from the rain for half an hour or so
IMG_1829%20%28Edited%29-L.jpg

We kitted up and pressed on Westwards along the coast mostly on the N71 before heading for Bantry Bay and then the weather changed for the better and my Nav 4 mysteriously powered itself back up in the cradle, things were looking up so we stopped for lunch at a roadside Bar-Cafe in Glengariff
IMG_1830-L.jpg

We settled our bill and returned to the bikes to set off for Healy Pass as we were about to leave 2 bikes tooted and waved then turned back to where we were parked it was our Dutch friends from the ferry, when they learned where we were heading they asked if they could tag along, with the improved weather the pace moved up a notch, a brief pause at some roadworks;
IMG_1832%20%28Edited%29-L.jpg

The Healy Pass was fantastic, a great ride to the top and the route back down no less enjoyable
IMG_1836%20%28Edited%29-L.jpg

IMG_1833%20%28Edited%29-L.jpg

IMG_1837-X2.jpg

IMG_1840-L.jpg

IMG_1841%20%28Edited%29-L.jpg

We continued along the coast to Waterville along the Ballagisheen pass followed by Gap of Dunloe and Molls Gap, we bade farewell to our Dutch friends at Muckross and we headed for our overnight stop at The Kerry Way Bar in Glenflesk by way of another fantastic mountain road with stunning views :bow
The Kerry Way Bar is a roadside hotel/diner, the service was good the food more than acceptable and the Guinness was cool and refreshing, there is no under cover or secure bike parking so we parked around the back of the hotel and relied upon our disc locks and trusty pound of butter back home.
Much much later in the bar Sean thought Mark's thumb stood comparison with a ketchup covered sausage...well he thought it was funny :comfort
IMG_1842-L.jpg

Saturday dawned and the early risers of us were packing the bikes before 8am, there was no breakfast option available so we were on the road by 8.15am a little less than an hour later we happened upon a roadside eaterie, over breakfast we decided that we had more time available to us than we thought we might so hatched a plan to detour to Cobh formerly Queenstown for a look around and a coffee, the trip had taken on a distinctly nautical theme, we crossed the River Lee via the Monkstown Cobh ferry where Hinge & Bracket did their impression of Rose & Jack to the amusement of the ferry crew :D
IMG_1847-L.jpg

Titanic memorial at Cobh;
IMG_1848%20%28Edited%29-L.jpg

Lusitania memorial at Cobh;
IMG_1849%20%28Edited%29-L.jpg

The White Star building at Cobh which houses a "Titanic Experience" we did the tour........
IMG_1857-L.jpg

Then we hit the road East in the general direction of Rosslare where we were due to stay for Saturday evening due to our Sunday return ferry's departure time of 8am :eek:
We stopped off at Dungarvan again as Sean needed a cash point and we all needed a coffee, we parked in the town square and our bikes were soon joined by more GS and GSA's ridden by some local lads who joined us for a chat and a coffee, we didn't get their names but they were typical of all the people we met inasmuch as they were very friendly and welcoming and enjoyed a chat, anyone from here?

We arrived at Churchtown House our hotel for the night where our hosts welcomed us and booked us a table at a local bar/restaraunt and ordered us a taxi, they even laid on an excellent continental breakfast for us at 6.30 the next morning in good time for us to ride the 3 miles or so the the ferry port.
Churchtown house, our Saturday night stopover;
IMG_1861-L.jpg

Overall a very enjoyable long weekend jaunt and relatively inexpensive, the return ferry was £110 per bike and rider, accommodation was around 50-60 euro per person per night and we enjoyed some great riding, I'd like to return and ride more of the Wild Atlantic way, definitely unfinished business :thumby:

Oh yes.........we visited another maritime POI at New Ross on the Saturday, a very nautically themed weekend.
IMG_1858-L.jpg

Enjoyed that mate. It goes to show even quick trips can be enjoyable and cover a lot.:thumby:

great read and backed up with top pics love the rallye bikes. Enjoy

Oh yes I am still on the forum Steve 😁. Bit of a break and very nearly nothing to moan about with our local dealer.
It was a fantastic trip and part 2 awaits planning for the 3 musketeers. 👍 Ready to go when you 2 are. Felt nostalgic already reading the right up. You never told me about the extra security system of the butter in the fridge. I would have slept easier if I had known you had it in place.

Enjoyed that mate. It goes to show even quick trips can be enjoyable and cover a lot.:thumby:
Indeed and although not too far away from us in South Wales we still managed to rack up 750 miles or so.

First rate
:thumby:

great read and backed up with top pics love the rallye bikes. Enjoy

Lovely read
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yes I am still on the forum Steve 😁. Bit of a break and very nearly nothing to moan about with our local dealer.
It was a fantastic trip and part 2 awaits planning for the 3 musketeers. 👍 Ready to go when you 2 are. Felt nostalgic already reading the right up. You never told me about the extra security system of the butter in the fridge. I would have slept easier if I had known you had it in place.

Ah yes the pound of butter in the fridge at home thing, many on here swear by it :augie

As butter comes in 250g packs nowadays, does it have to be exactly 1 pound or will 2 packs simply do? - I don't want my bike nicked because I messed up on the finer details.

As butter comes in 250g packs nowadays, does it have to be exactly 1 pound or will 2 packs simply do? - I don't want my bike nicked because I messed up on the finer details.

It's a tough one for sure, a "pack" ought to do it but the letter of the rule is a pound so keep 2 x 250g packs in your fridge as the ultimate failsafe :thumby:

That's a neat circuit of the south. Enjoyed that RR. Thanks for sharing. Remember when looking for a place to have breakfast one Sunday morning at the far end of the Ring of Kerry, a nice gentleman who had not opened shop yet, saw me, called me in and prepped breakfast for me. A wonderful bunch the folks the Irish are. :thumb

Really enjoyed reading this one. My folks are from Cobh and Co Kerry (Sneem and Gleesk, on the Ring of Kerry). A few years ago, hopped on the ferry to Rosslare (still got my 2002 1150GS) and rode clockwise around the coast of Ireland. Westwards from Rosslare along the South Coast via Cork, on into Kerry, up through Limerick, Clare and Galway (where the bike nearly sank in the sand!). Up through Mayo, Donegal and into Derry. To Bushmiils, Antrim, Belfast, Down, Armagh, then down to Dublin and back to Rosslare. No better bike than a GS for the Irish roads. You've got me planning the next Irish trip! :aidan

Back
Top Bottom