Fuel leak recall question

blues n twos

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently got back on two wheels with a very tidy 1200GS.

In the service history it said that both the rear wheel flange and the fuel pump thingy recall was carried out.

Every time I fill up I smell petrol whilst riding until the fuel drops to about a third of a tank. Initially I thought I might have overfilled it or spilled some but I've filled it up half a dozen times now and its always smelling of fuel.

Did the recall fix this issue permanently or is it prone to fail again? If so do they do it FOC again or is there anywhere else I need to look for source?

Never any visible fuel drips under bike etc.

Thanks all :beerjug:

Jon

Look at the top of the fuel pump flange and the fuel return flange and see if the spigots that the fuel pipe quick releases go into have a shiny metal reinforcing ring around there base.
GSFuelPumpcopy.jpg

Check the Filler neck leak off pipes and the tank breather pipes

Should be under the big front panel on the right and vertical on the side of the tank

If the fuel pump was removed to do the recall work it's very easy to dislodge the sealing gasket.

Unscrew the big ring, fish out the washer, grease it's inside only and the fuel pump outer. Use no grease between gasket and fuel tank rim. Put it all back and see how it goes.

The fuel pipe elbow is a self sealing joint. Press the clip to release elbow.

Back
Top Bottom