R100GS high mudguard mount

Jon T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm giving my 1988 R100GS a bit of a birthday, in the process converting from the low to high front mudguard. I've bought the 'guard itself new from Motorworks, but there's no details about how it's mounted. Can anyone with intimate knowledge of this area tell me - are there spacers between yoke and mudguard, or anything special about the hardware (rubber washers etc)?

Thanks, Jon

there is an online workshop manual/parts list somewhere on the web

Have a look at Rainbow motorcycles classic parts fiche - the exploded view parts diagram should tell you all you need to know.

anyone can tell you what they think, but the authority is the BMW fiche and there are plenty on the web .......... your BMW has the same and he will refer to it when you order the parts . they are cheap so it is better to use these than any old screw and washer

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51622&rnd=07242017

diagram number 46_0018

The Rainbow Fiche is better to use (if you are in the UK rather than the USA) as its UK based, priced in Sterling, and you can order direct from it.

The Rainbow Fiche is better to use (if you are in the UK rather than the USA) as its UK based, priced in Sterling, and you can order direct from it.

Thanks - I usually, well it's been 8 years, go into the local BM dealer and look at theirs

I just put that link up to show how easy it is to find the info you need on-line

Why do you want to put high mudguard, what will you be hoping to achieve?

Hmm. It made mine weave all over the bloody place. Went back to low level and all was fine so it wasn't me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Why do you want to put high mudguard, what will you be hoping to achieve?

My take on the high mudguard is that it does look good in a rugged sort of way. However plenty folks seem to get around the globe on their GS with regular mudguard fitted and that its only necessary if you intend doing a bit of time on sticky clay mud roads.. My only experience of a high mudguard is on an XT600 and that used to develop a terrible tank slapper at about 80 which I put down to the mudguard as nothing ever cured it for me.

I always find that people who have low mudguards are also likely to have chrome bits on their bikes so cannot be trusted :D

Back
Top Bottom