Pyrenees Early May 2017 Ride Report

force4fun

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bit late with this but wanted to share our route and some info on our trip to the Pyrenees earlier this year. Firstly, I started a thread to get advice on travelling around the Pyrenees in May and must do roads. The thread is here:

http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/439936-Advice-Please-Pyrenees-Route-OK-for-May

A big thank you to everyone who assisted in the planning of the route! I used the RIDE 7 day route as my base map and amended it initially to take us around the Pyrenees in less days and then cut up towards Bordeaux from the Lourdes area.

We travelled to Santander on the 24 hour Brittany ferry from Portsmouth - which was surprisingly nice! You just ride on board, they strap the bikes down with nice big cushions and you head for your cabin and food and drink. We booked the ferry November straight after the Motorcycle show as we wanted to get the 10% discount from Brittany Ferries at the show. We got the last spaces!! So don't book late. There were four of us on a KTM 990 adventure, an African Twin, KTM 1190 adventure S and GS 1150. Only one rider had done much touring so 3 of us were like excited kids on their first holiday!

When we got to Santander on Saturday evening the aim was to hit the motorway and get the miles done to our first hotel in Vitoria, however, we also had some nice sweeping roads that got us in the mood for the coming fun in the days to follow. We had a selection of accommodation on the trip booked via Booking.com - this first stop was plain and simple with underground parking (most had secure parking - just ask). Day 2 we hit the real mountain roads and all I can say is WOW! And that is all we said most of the time, every time you came around a corner. WOW! If you haven't been to the Pyrenees you should plan to go - it's got what I thought I would have to go to the USA to see and ride. Roads are so smooth, there are so many twisty mountain climbs that are awesome. So many roads hugging a mountain cliff and a drop of to a gorge. Actually, it's like riding through Cheddar Gorge for hundreds of miles!!

We headed across France via the Bordeaux area, La Rochelle, Surgeres (friend lives there) and then up to St Malo which was all great roads.

The route we used is here hopefully!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nvbZf_c9_V9wSJ0gDeaAC8JHIdE&usp=sharing

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&hl=en&authuser=0&authuser=0&mid=1nvbZf_c9_V9wSJ0gDeaAC8JHIdE&ll=45.38860586999344%2C-0.8205628395080566&z=6

VIDEOS - my friend videoed each day and even commentates! Stick with it, there is a lot of interesting info on it! There are a few videos

Some photos

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hope you find it interesting

Hi there, thanks for posting up your report, it's alway great to know that someone heeds one's hints and advice! :)

One thing I forgot to add in to my post on your earlier topic is my own link to booking.com - I'm an 'associate' and in fact have just got my first payment note - for the princely sum of €105.07 - not bad seeing that I've been doing this since 2013!

So folks, use my link and help keep The Spanish Biker on the road - please! :)

Regs

Simon

We did a 10 day trip Santander to Roscoff at the end of June. I think you chose some of the better roads, although the Pyrenees didn't disappointed. I prepared a report but gave up trying to post photos etc.
Thanks for posting - enjoyed that!

Hi there, thanks for posting up your report, it's alway great to know that someone heeds one's hints and advice! :)

One thing I forgot to add in to my post on your earlier topic is my own link to booking.com - I'm an 'associate' and in fact have just got my first payment note - for the princely sum of €105.07 - not bad seeing that I've been doing this since 2013!

So folks, use my link and help keep The Spanish Biker on the road - please! :)

Regs

Simon

Genuinely really appreciated all your advice. I was excited when I got near one of your "must ride this" roads and they didn't disappoint! We were really happy with the whole route, doing about 200 miles a day, starting at about 9.30 and finishing about 5.30 worked well with nice stops on the day. We did loads of tour de France climbs which made us think they are mad - nearly set my rear brakes on fire on one of them!

Thoroughly recommend the Pyrenees!

By the way, one of the best roads was the A-1604 from Lanave to Boltana. Just stunning scenery and road - follows a river gorge.

I really enjoyed the videos. thank you friend......excellent:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom