R1100GS final drive bearing

West coast gser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well gave the final drive an oil change today and there was small shavings on the drain magnet ..:eek: looks like the bearing is on its way out :mad: Ive checked for play in it as stated in the sticky post and theres no play ..where can I get the bearing and other parts from ? or who can replace the bearing for me ? cheers :)

Motorworks stock all the parts, easiest way to check the bearing is to take off the large seal and see if there are any broken or missig rivets on the ball race, you don't always get excessive play before failure, lots of how-tos and guides online

If there's no play in the wheel it's probably the pinion bearing on its way out. Sent mine to Mikeyboy on here when it got to 108000 miles. He know his stuff.

If there's no play in the wheel it's probably the pinion bearing on its way out. Sent mine to Mikeyboy on here when it got to 108000 miles. He know his stuff.

Hi hmm now that you say that I had an oil leak last yr thought it was the final drive seal but it was coming from the gaiter pulled it back n gave it a clean out n fitted the proper gaiter clips as when I done the paralever bearings I'd got the large cable ties from Motorworks to refit the gaiter..how much did he take to replace the bearing etc ? Cheers

if you are just replacing the main bearing the bits are about 70 odd quid ,thats the bearing the main seal and the large o ring rubber that goes between the casting and the bearing carrier.easy enough to do .

Hi hmm now that you say that I had an oil leak last yr thought it was the final drive seal but it was coming from the gaiter pulled it back n gave it a clean out n fitted the proper gaiter clips as when I done the paralever bearings I'd got the large cable ties from Motorworks to refit the gaiter..how much did he take to replace the bearing etc ? Cheers

You have a leaking gearbox output shaft seal or a final drive input seal. No need for any new bearings .

the fluid behind the boot and the fillings when draining the oil are separate issues

Hmm so are they easy to replace ? where would the metal shavings come from ..?? Cheers

the fluid behind the boot and the fillings when draining the oil are separate issues

Thank you, i'd thought my reply was pretty obviously concerning the gaitor leak question and didn't need explaining.

I was wrong.
In which case this thread could be problematic, best bare that in mind when answering any other "simple" questions by the OP. :D

Thank you, i'd thought my reply was pretty obviously concerning the gaitor leak question and didn't need explaining.

I was wrong.
In which case this thread could be problematic, best bare that in mind when answering any other "simple" questions by the OP. :D

Thank you for replying so could the metal shavings be from the input bearing as some one said the bearing could be on the way out or would it be from the final drive bearing ? I had consulted someone that knows bmws about the leak behind the boot n he said it's prolly the input seal that's worn n when the diff is running it's finding it's way out as like an archimedes screw ..hence me cleaning it up n putting the correct clips on it ..as I've read a little oil goes a long way..cheers

T the input seal that's worn n when the diff is running it's finding it's way out as like an archimedes screw ..hence me cleaning it up n putting the correct clips on it ..as I've read a little oil goes a long way..cheers

The clips won't stop the seal leaking, they'll just stop it leaking out :D Also you're ment to replace the metal compression ring when changing the seal as it gets grooved and also helps make the seal oil tight, many people just replace the seal and no the ring.

When you drained the final drive oil was the level low ?

You did check the oil level by removing the filler and looking before draining, didn't you ?

If the input seal leak is bad it'll leave the oil low in the final drive which could be the cause of the "shavings" on the drain plug, checking the level before draining would have told you that...

The clips won't stop the seal leaking, they'll just stop it leaking out :D Also you're ment to replace the metal compression ring when changing the seal as it gets grooved and also helps make the seal oil tight, many people just replace the seal and no the ring.

When you drained the final drive oil was the level low ?

You did check the oil level by removing the filler and looking before draining, didn't you ?

If the input seal leak is bad it'll leave the oil low in the final drive which could be the cause of the "shavings" on the drain plug, checking the level before draining would have told you that...

Err..! nope jus the drain then the filler plug 😣

Err..! nope jus the drain then the filler plug ��
nod to the wise,when you have a fill plug and a seperate drain plug, always take the fill plug out first, unless you enjoy holding the bike upside down to refill it when you find the fill plug is seized/rounded off :beer:

Thank you for replying so could the metal shavings be from the input bearing as some one said the bearing could be on the way out or would it be from the final drive bearing ?

I doubt very very the shavings are from the input shaft bearing. The bearing you're referring to as someone saying it could be worn is the taper roller bearing on the output flange.

I'd look at a schematic of a final drive and learn which bearing is what before you attempt to do anything.

As said in many posts, it's 99% to be the crown wheel bearing.

That is if any bearing is actually bad and the residue you describe on the magnetic drain plug isn't just the normal muck that can accumulate in a final drive.
You do seem to have an air of panic looking for problems in every bearing and seal. :D

Well got round to having a look @ the 1100 and drained the FD fluid into a clean container it was quite clean looking with no metal shavings or swarf in it ,also the drain bolt had no metal shaving or swarf on it either ..?? there is slight play @ 6 o clock position if I really force the wheel ..I'll monitor it for the time being as Ive got other things going on ,Ive got all the bearings ,seals ,O rings etc to do the job when Ive a spare few hrs ..thanks for the replies :thumb

Back
Top Bottom