Pushrod tube installation

John Roberts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm fitting some stainless steel ones in my '81 R100 RS. Some sites say to heat the cylinders and freeze the tubes before installing, and after it reaches room temperature to use green 'wicking' Loctite which should get into the joint by capillary action. I'll be making an insertion tool to get them in.

What say you?

I've just fitted a set on my R100, I bought mine from Shaw Stainlees,very east to fit,I used a plumbers butane torch to gently heat the holes in the head one at a time ,pushed them in so far by hand and gently tap with a soft hide mallet.This is the second set I've fitted to my airheads,I took a vernier measurement from the top of the cylinder head to the top of the tube,which was 8.5mm.
The quality of the tubes from Shaw is first class, and the fit perfect.

That's the approach I would have taken if I hadn't seen those sites too. I was just wondering if all that ffaff was necessary. :) Did you use any Loctite?

I think you will find most dont bother - no need. Over on this side of the pond at any rate........

(I have fitted a few, never used it)

did you get the ones with the right inside diameter John?

I stumbled across this while looking for something else http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/vehicles/bmw/pushrods/pushrodtubes.html
Well, I haven't ordered them yet, but I am aware that there are two (at least) different tubes within my age range, one size fits everything apart from I think, R65 or possibly the LS. Have I missed something?

PS in the link you gave it mentions the paste for the exhaust stub, which do you use? Copper? Optimol?

i use the optimolly from Motobins. its a bit like engineers blue and gets everywhere :D

95805.jpg

The set I fitted to my G/S were massively tight. A right bastard to get in.

I also had 3 6 barrels lying around with factory fitted tubes - Every one was a seated at a different depth. Pretty wide variation as well.

The beginning of 2016 I had a similar problem with the tubes on my R90s
Ended up buying 2 sets in total from the two major Airhead suppliers . I could not believe that the 8 tubes were all different in size!! It was not until I bought a set from Chris Shaw , that the job became straight forward. I have a thread on this forum from the beginning of 2016 with all the same problems that you're having .
Give Chris a ring he was so helpful .

The beginning of 2016 I had a similar problem with the tubes on my R90s
Ended up buying 2 sets in total from the two major Airhead suppliers . I could not believe that the 8 tubes were all different in size!! It was not until I bought a set from Chris Shaw , that the job became straight forward. I have a thread on this forum from the beginning of 2016 with all the same problems that you're having .
Give Chris a ring he was so helpful .
And here it is:
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/416430-R90s-Pushrod-dilemma
Cheers, I shall have a word with Mr Shaw. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom