iPad won't charge

Boxerboy55

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I foolishly let my iPad 2 battery run down and now "It Just Won't Charge".

I've searched online and the hints and tips point to the usual reset button pushing exercise or looking at alternate charger plugs and cables.

I've done this and it simply looks like the power connection in the iPad socket is not well.

I can see a minimum (zero) battery level (red) and waggling the cable in the socket can make the lightning symbol appear for a second or 2.

And sometimes it will sit for hours - make that days - with the white Apple symbol on the screen. But zilch. Nada. Nothing.

Is it terminal?

Do I have to resort to an expensive shop repair? (Where? How much?)

Or do I kiss it goodbye to the apple warehouse in the sky.

Are you using the bigger iPad charger? And a genuine Apple lead? JJH

The Lightning cable/plug isn't the best/strongest design, so I would find an Apple shop or dealer and ask them to try a known good Lightning cable and Adapter.

I think if you had a non genuine Apple Lightning Cable, then the iPad would report that it was not genuine. This happened to me when I bought a Lightning cable from an Amazon UK dealer. The Apple shop in Hamburg confirmed twice that it was a fake, but refused to put it in writing and the Amazon UK shop insisted their fake cable was genuine (bunch of crooks).

Apple can exchange your iPad for a refurbished iPad of the same type, if the new Lightning cable doesn't resolve the problem. However, like all Apple gear, it is hopelessly overpriced in my experience.

Grey Beard

My experience of non genuine lightening cables is some work some don't. Some report as not comparable or some such and some stop working after an upgrade. I speak from experience as there are 5 iphones 3 iPads and a Mac mini + many old iPhones lying around the house. I was an early adopter having graduated from iPods. JJH

If you have the lightning plug, have a peek at the metal strips on the tip. My wifes ipad stopped charging because one of them went awol.

anker supply very good cables.
In fact I reckon they are superior quality to the oem.

much cheaper too.
Never had any issues with them being recognised by devices.
For under a tenner its worth a punt

I had a similar issue with an iPhone 5, but it was quite old so I bought a replacement; then my s-i-l commented that it was a common issue and cleaned out the charge port with a paper clip, upon which normal service was resumed. Might be worth a try ?

cleaned out the charge port with a paper clip,

Crikey you were lucky there! (unless it was a plastic covered clip?)

Try to avoid metal and sharp edges etc Use a wooden cocktail stick or toothpick or similar

Also avoid cotton buds as they can leave lint in the port which apparently is the cause of the problem

if you can use a can of compressed air and something plastic to loosen any compacted dirt then blow it out.

Thanks for all the above. Including an offer to "have a go at it".

I'll keep swapping cables and plugs, etc. and have a gentle prod in the connector(s).

I hadn't consider a part/ex option. It is 5 or 6 years old.

I had the same issue with an iPhone 4s. When the battery discharged so far it would not accept a charge. The recommended fix was to heat the phone with a hair dryer to raise the temp of the battery then plug it in and recharge normally. Don't know if this works with an iPad but no harm in trying.

My 2012 MacBook has the original battery. A couple of months ago I noticed a fall off in battery life then it refused to charge. I bought a new Apple battery then Lo & Behold the old battery started working again.
It might be a software glitch or maybe the battery has failed. They are not as easy to replace on a pad but a half decent service/repair shop will do it.

Back
Top Bottom