Nav 6 decision time. Get a refund or persevere with pain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote (So, many people are advocating the learning approach. I'd love to find, in one place, a source of clear instructions for the Nav 6 that I can learn about) Can you remember the very first time you actually switched on a PC or Mac and i do mean the first time, because i can and i remember thinking to myself what the hell do i do now, well considering that your humble nav 6 has probably got more computing power and more complicated software than the first computer you used (depending on your age), its no wonder that people find them dificult to use. but judging by the amount of people on this very forum who get here via the use of computers macs mobiles that indeed have far more complex software and hardware than the nav 6 has, they seemed to have stuck with this learning lark themselves and indeed achieved there goals and learnt how to navigate a minefield of software and hardware, and i would bet diamonds that the vast majority of them are self taught and have learnt by actually using the machine and failing and then trying again, until they got it, and some no doubt as many do would have had a little help from their friends.
In other words i do not think you will find a complete source of information anywhere in one place, and with each new generation of device it will get even better or worse depending on your point of view.

Lots of useful information here - www.zumoforums.com Not Nav specific, but the Nav V and Vi are based on other sumo models. Loads of info about Basecamp on the Mac and PC

You sound like Wapping. :rolleyes:......

I don't understand why some on here keep defending a shit product.:nenau

Maybe, because some users, ( I'm not necessarily referring to the OP) simply refuse to invest a quiet hour or two and learn to use basecamp.

The Nav 5 and 6 are arguably the best we can buy for motorcycle Nav.
USB leads/disc space and route planning can all be frustrating if you are not in the right frame of mind, leading one to criticise perfectly good software.

IMHO, it just needs a bit of grey matter !

For those who dont like basecamp; (its actually bloody powerful) I accept that even "bright" guys can struggle with it though ....

An alternative exists!

(i) you can draw the route on your "apple mac" map, ( mac os not iOS) tug and pull the blue line with the pointer till it replicates the route youd like to ride
(ii) export that route to a safe place ( maybe dropbox or your desktop?)
(iii) use a website to convert it to a .gpx file that can be read by your Nav 5/6 (there are hundreds of them, google is your friend)
(iv) plug your Nav 5/6 in ( I'll agree there are issues around differing usb leads , hardly Garmins fault)
(v) drop your newly created the .gpx into the folder that contans all teh other .gpx files

Ride your route, smile, enjoy your bike!

For anyone who cant use google for step (iii) her eis a link ; https://mapstogpx.com or http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

Quick question about Nav 6 please.
Is anyone else finding that the twisty roller thingy on your clutch lever won't talk to the new Nav?
As you may have guessed - I'm a technophobe....

Davel, it sounds like yours might need a trip to the dealer! (Remove the GPS, wipe the contacts and reinstall it firmly in the mount)

The wheel can be used to switch between displays, zoom in or out on a map, change music track, navigate home, show info, etc etc

More here ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgev4zoXIOk

or

https://youtu.be/PdEoDqaz7DE

Assuming your on a GS or GSA of course, it doesn't do nearly as much on the RT.

The main problem with these modern bike sat navs is that they are very user unfriendly - they require a lot of investment in time to learn all their foibles - They and the computer software needs to be far more intuitive. I use my Nav V as an accurate speedo, for general guidance by looking at the displayed map and compass, and sometimes for the last mile to get to my hotel in a city.

All this downloading maps from magazines and stuff just consumes far too much time and is utterly useless if riding with a buddy who has set up his device up in a different way, or worse if he has a different model - it just causes massive irritation and detracts from the riding pleasure.

I find the whole touring business far more fun buy having a general plan and a few Michelin Maps with green lines showing the best roads.

I find that entering a simple journey in Basecamp, for example Salisbury to Exeter, offers me an address in Birmingham with no mention of Exeter in it.

Dont forget to enter your exeter in the "town" field.... Otherwise you run the risk it will offer you exeter house, exeter road or exeter massage etc etc (Forcing you to scroll through lines of crap before you see the exeter you desire !)

I'm not criticising you, because I can see you have invested time in basecamp and the Nav ...... unlike others !)

The main problem with these modern bike sat navs is that they are very user unfriendly - they require a lot of investment in time to learn all their foibles - ........

I strongly disagree. ( You could see that coming?)

They are pretty powerful (especially basecamp) , all it takes is a quiet hour one evening. Plenty of "how to videos" on you tube too.
Also good advice in this parish for those who ask.

All this downloading maps from magazines and stuff just consumes far too much time and is utterly useless if riding with a buddy who has set up his device up in a different way, or worse if he has a different model - it just causes massive irritation and detracts from the riding pleasure.

Well that's not my experience. I thank Simon Weir for his endeavours.

http://www.ride.co.uk/routes/

(I've enjoyed hundreds of fabulous miles I would never have seen).

Most of us here can get a route (.gpx) from his webpage to my BMW GPS and start riding in about 5 minutes, I can tell you it's well worth the trouble!

(The "michelin map argument" has been done to death here .... anyone with a pulse prefers looking at a map, they are better for planning, we all accept that.
They are not great when folded and stuck in a wet/clouded tankbag plastic at 80mph with a couple of friends behind you expecting you to avoid U turns all over the place on day 1 of your foreign tour)

What we are talking about here, is the question; "Is basecamp /nav 5 / technology worth investing time in and will it help you enjoy your motorbike more?"

I strongly disagree. ( You could see that coming?)

They are pretty powerful (especially basecamp) , all it takes is a quiet hour one evening. Plenty of "how to videos" on you tube too.
Also good advice in this parish for those who ask.

If they were as intuitive as they should be - these threads would not exist - which kinda proves my point ;)

There are some lazy inert fuckers around! Proves my point :rob

Personally I dont feel life should be "dumbed down" to suit the lowest imbecille.
Those guys should stay at home and watch Jeremy Kyle.

Garmin have built a lot of functionality into the kit, are they expected to pay a personal visit to hold the hand of those too stupid to put the effort in to use it ?

We see it all over the place on this forum. The "political " threads feature those who never outgrow their left wing student politics with their need for heroes and pin-up revolutionaries.

Quote (So, many people are advocating the learning approach. I'd love to find, in one place, a source of clear instructions for the Nav 6 that I can learn about)
Can you remember the very first time you actually switched on a PC or Mac and i do mean the first time, because i can and i remember thinking to myself what the hell do i do now, well considering that your humble nav 6 has probably got more computing power and more complicated software than the first computer you used (depending on your age), its no wonder that people find them dificult to use. but judging by the amount of people on this very forum who get here via the use of computers macs mobiles that indeed have far more complex software and hardware than the nav 6 has, they seemed to have stuck with this learning lark themselves and indeed achieved there goals and learnt how to navigate a minefield of software and hardware, and i would bet diamonds that the vast majority of them are self taught and have learnt by actually using the machine and failing and then trying again, until they got it, and some no doubt as many do would have had a little help from their friends.
In other words i do not think you will find a complete source of information anywhere in one place, and with each new generation of device it will get even better or worse depending on your point of view.

Yes I can remember that. It was in the last millennium about 30 years ago. I can also remember the very first time i switched on an iPad, 7 years ago (with way more software and functionality than a 2017 Garmin / BMW Nav by the way) and thinking to myself, 'Great. I get it. It just does what I expect and delights me with its simplicity and ease of use'. And passing it to my 88 year old father who has never sat at a computer in his life. He got it too.

I also refer you, predictably, to the iPhone, a device with much more software and way more functionality than a BMW Nav. Sold worldwide to people who have never used one before. It was designed in such an intuitive way that it doesn't need a set of instructions. And like google maps, a new user can 'learn it' in minutes (sat on the bog if required). In comparison the Nav 6 and it's second cousin, Basecramp have a whole heap of hidden tripwires caused by appalling User Experience (UX) design.
The tech world has moved on LeeDude, and many users no longer expect to have to struggle in this way.

Aptitude to learning is not the issue for users who are experiencing these difficulties. The issues are shit education from Garmin, shit UX design and shit Customer Experience. I still offer the challenge to anyone to point me towards properly structured and easy to use source of learning materials and information for this product.

The issues are shit education from Garmin, shit UX design and shit Customer Experience. I still offer the challenge to anyone to point me towards properly structured and easy to use source of learning materials and information for this product.

Hubcap. Let me just say that apple spent 6 billion dollars in 1 year alone on the ios software that comes (free) with your iPad.

Its admirable stuff being able to do on a piece of glass what used to take a whole office PC!

However, if you want the same level of usability for a GPS and "basecamp" you have a very limited understanding of the real world!

(Its called economies of scale)
Thousands of us use both the GPS and basecamp happily.... why cant you ??

Quick question about Nav 6 please.
Is anyone else finding that the twisty roller thingy on your clutch lever won't talk to the new Nav?
As you may have guessed - I'm a technophobe....

Enquire in the relevant motorcycle section.

In short, it should work exactly as described to you by your dealership. If it doesn't complain to them until it does.

Enquire in the relevant motorcycle section.

Err FFS ,

on a thread about Nav 6 , he kindly posted; " Quick question about Nav 6 please.
As you may have guessed - I'm a technophobe...."

You really are a sick miserable fuckwit if you have a go at him for that imho.

Quote (Yes I can remember that. It was in the last millennium about 30 years ago. I can also remember the very first time i switched on an iPad, 7 years ago (with way more software and functionality than a 2017 Garmin / BMW Nav by the way) and thinking to myself, 'Great. I get it. It just does what I expect and delights me with its simplicity and ease of use'. And passing it to my 88 year old father who has never sat at a computer in his life. He got it too.

I also refer you, predictably, to the iPhone, a device with much more software and way more functionality than a BMW Nav. Sold worldwide to people who have never used one before. It was designed in such an intuitive way that it doesn't need a set of instructions. And like google maps, a new user can 'learn it' in minutes (sat on the bog if required). In comparison the Nav 6 and it's second cousin, Basecramp have a whole heap of hidden tripwires caused by appalling User Experience (UX) design.
The tech world has moved on LeeDude, and many users no longer expect to have to struggle in this way.

Aptitude to learning is not the issue for users who are experiencing these difficulties. The issues are shit education from Garmin, shit UX design and shit Customer Experience. I still offer the challenge to anyone to point me towards properly structured and easy to use source of learning materials and information for this product.)

If we are not going to compare like with like then we must take into account the size of this veritable giant called apple you refer to or maybe microsoft as well who are indeed massive multi billion dollar companies who also have multi billion dollar budgets to have the best engineers, and also who have been working on computer based products for as long as you say 30 odd years maybe more i thought the pc was a little earlier but i digress, where as garmin/tomtom insert whoever you wish who makes these, have probably been making sat navs for what 10 to 15 years i am not sure, and with miniscule budgets compared to the giants you mention, So yes maybe they are not up to producing something to the same standard as the people you mention, and indeed the tech world has moved on, also led by the giants mentioned, which begs the question if you can use what you already had at hand made by these said giants and deem it to be a far superior product why on earth do you not use that, instead of wasting money on an inferior product. and with reference to the question of help for garmin i believed i already answered that to the best of my knowledge.
Your statement Aptitude to learning is not the issue for users who are experiencing these difficulties, The issues are shit education from Garmin, shit UX design and shit Customer Experience, also applies to the giant corporations like the ones mentioned above, there are more people who bemoan microsoft and apple than you can shake a stick at but low and behold you and your 88 year old father have no such issues, so who is to blame, you clearly think its garmin, me i dont care i get along just fine using what software i choose to and what sat nav i use. as i have said many times, use what you wish to use, and learn to use it, that way when something goes wrong you will be better able to sort it or get around it.

Maybe, because some users, ( I'm not necessarily referring to the OP) simply refuse to invest a quiet hour or two and learn to use basecamp.

I've spent a lot more time than an hour or two trying to get Basecamp woking for me. Think of a wet weekend (which we have lots of!), and I've spent several afternoons trying to plot routes in Basecamp, all to no avail.

I find Motogoloco much, much better to plot routes in, but generally prefer to plan routes on the day of travel, depending on the weather/ road closures/ my mood.

My biggest issue with the Nav 6 is the custom avoidances/ route options, which don't work all of the time. It's not just a few here that are frustrated; do a Google search and there are a large number of unhappy customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom