***Please Note*** you can not create threads directly in this section. This section is made up of threads that have been moved here from other areas of the site
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clothing advice required.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Get a cheap dayglow overjacket (Rev-it and Oxford do good ones) - helps in overcast conditions and limits the amount of wet winter road-muck getting into your expensive suit.
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

+1 for Altberg boots.. just rode from the tunnel to home in 3 hrs of biblical storms on Wednesday afternoon... soaked to the skin everywhere except my feet....bone dry

Rukka gloves.... I bought mine in Spain! Rrp of £250 in the UK, I paid about £160 iirc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Altberg boots, had mine for 6 years, perfect. Sidi Courier before that for about 15 years, bulkier but equally dry.

Tucano muffs work and keep the cold off unless it's really, really freezing.
    Ploughing on regardless.......

Campsite Clouseau

www.warpspeedadvanced.com

Altberg boots and I've got Richa gloves. Both leave me as dry as a bone in huge downpours and extended riding in the wet.

Bikerland.de for Rukka gloves. Although I've found the bmw 2 in 1 almost as good and £80 cheaper.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Arse Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    My Rukka I had a few years ago leaked. The suit that replaced it was a Hein Gericke top notch thingy. Very good but leaked a bit when exposed to long days in the constant rain. Had all manor of gloves. Current flavour is Held 2 in 1 but it is not the best in the coldest of cold or wet but good enough for touring Europe. The Alpinestars is a bit bulky took some time to break in but good. For boots I have settled on Gearne trail oiled boots. Like slippers and good for walking miles in. Only in the hottest of temps does it bother me. As for finding something that has all the features in a suit I want I'm giving the BMW summer trousers and Boulder jacket a try. Got the BMW waterproof 2 piece suit that folds nicely small.

Everybody always refer to Rukka as the go to suit but give Dane a good look. They get good reviews. Happy hunting. It took me a while to get something that I think is a better arrangement than a all in one suit but there is still more to have a look in to.

The future is whatever colour you want.

Thanks for all the comments.

I believe I will go for a pair of Wunderlich muffs as they are 99 GBP + pp and can achieve what I wish with my existing gloves (3 different pairs for various conditions) this is obviously cheaper than 200 GBP+ for a pair of Rukka gloves.

The Altberg boots are good, I have a couple of pairs of Scarpa's which I use some of the time also but not really winter bike riding. As stated previously I have now purchased a new pair of Daytona's at a discount so hopefully these will be fit for purpose.

Iv'e got two Rukka suits, one for summer (Airall I think, from Germany which was cheaper) & one for winter (Navigator suit) + Gerbing heating kit / Rukka thermals.

I have always riden in all weathers but commute daily 150 miles round trip which I purchased this bike for so require the appropriate kit. I have always had tricked up ultra sports but to be honest this is the best bike I have ever had!!!

I can recommend the above two Rukka suits with a lightweight windproof/ waterproof jacket for the Airall. The Navigator has kept me bone dry for 3 hours at around 70 MPH when it was blowing a hooley with oggin everywhere, the only issues I have are my boots & gloves which will hopefully be rectified soon.

Does anyone have a pair of Wunderlich's for a 1200 GSA for sale??? I have seen them on NN but would hope to get a pair used.

Once again, many thanks to all.

Cheers All, Al.

I prefer a regular jacket, not the £££ Rukka or Klim kit, and a cheap plastic over jacket and trousers (E.g Aldi) when it actually rains. The plastic is 100% waterproof and your regular jacket stays reasonable dry. Most Cordura type jackets take ages to dry out once wet.

My Rukka Arma-S doesn't get wet, due to bonded goretex, 7 hours off pissing English rain and not a drop got through.

My Hein Gericke Voyager gets washed and reproofed twice a year and water just beads off, most problems are caused by not cleaning and reproofing regularly.

Having said that I used Halvarsson waterproofing for leather on my Daytona boots and they let in so much water they were renamed fishing nets. Worst product I have used in sometime.

Spray on nikwax leather reproofer will hopefully restore them back to normal.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Rukka Armas suit. 7 years old, never leaked. Went back to Rukka for a zip repair, came back with new seams on the jacket and zips.
    Rukka apollo gloves + muffs + heated grips = warm, comfy hands whatever the weather
    warm'n'safe heated jacket under the rukka suit means 'sun on the back' temperatures when frost is on the ground
    Gaucho means your bollox don't shrivel when the temperatures drop.

leaving for work at 4am with a 100 mile ride to get there in -5 temps with this little lot meant I arrived comfy, smiling and with working digits.

Check out the Barkbusters Blizzard muffs. Smaller yet stiffer (ooh-er) than a regular muff. Look loads better. You can use them with or without the aluminium backbone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

My TCX boots are waterproof. I'm on my 3rd pair now and all 3 have been excellent. I bought a new Hein Gericke jacket from Lings in Lowestoft, not too far from OP, last year. It's one of the only HG branches still going. Very comfortable jacket and also waterproof. Was reduced from £400 to under £200

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by commandoallan View Post
    All,

I require a pair of waterproof boots & gloves for wet winter riding.

Cost irrelevant but items have to be fit for purpose rather than posey, any recommendations???

Cheers All,

Al.
    A good pair of workmans wellington boots. Handlebar muffs or a pair of washing up gloves to wear under your normal gloves.
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Welly boots or put your feet into plastic carrier bags before you put them into leaky motorcycle boots.
    What we need are clearly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Time warp stuff. The forum has warped into every October issue of Motorcycle Mechanics ever published!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast