Pinking - R1200RT LC

Hubcap

Reaction score
My bike has been pinking from new. Initially I thought it was because I was using lower octane petrol during running in (less lubricity), but it continues even with Shell's finest.
I was brought up to perceieve pinking as a cause of engine damage.
I'm guessing it's a side effect of Euro 4 but am worried about my engine - should I be?
Thanks

Mine (late 2015) doesn't pink at all, so I'd suggest a chat to dealer to see why it does and what can be done about it.

Pinking (pre ignition) will cause engine damage. So is it pinking? Who diagnoised it? Are you sure? If it is it needs to be sorted. Bmw are renownd for their knock sensors so it shouldnt be pinking JJH

I had a R1200RT LC when they first came out and that pinked badly from new. Dealer said it was normal but that and a terrible gearbox led me to get rid as soon as I could afford to. I don't think the any lc motors have knock sensors fitted. Surprisingly my current bike a 2015 gs does not pink unless I use the wrong fuel (super unleaded is not always available abroad) and since I had a new engine fitted for corrosion issue's the gearchange has been vastly improved. The tag from the engine that the dealer gave me said it was a late 2016 unit.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom