Hi, newbie in South Warks, need help re GS

CV35Ian

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
On my third BM (tend to keep them for a while), K1, R1100RS and now R1200GS 2006 since May 2011.

Love the bike so I decided to service it on Saturday, all good until changing final drive oil....

After reattaching final drive to drive shaft I decided to run bike in gear on stand to check all was well, however when doing this:
1 there is a noisy rattling from (oddly?) the front of the driveshaft area - possibly gearbox?, wasnt there before,
2 the final drive gets a bit warm after running for a while.
3 the drive to the wheel appears lumpy - ie not just spinning quietly

I have used 0.22L of approved oil in final drive and 0.8L of the same in gearbox, so levels should be OK, and greased rear UJ - should I have done front as well?
Could I have dislodged anything at front when reattaching final drive to shaft? Are there any bearings that could have got dislodged in this process?

And I also have a high screen, great for cruising but rattles a lot around town - annoying, are there any kits available to strengthen the mounts where it attaches at bottom?

Any pointers most welcome.

Ian

Top tip: Don't run your bike on the stand; it's not designed to run this way any will make strange noises before disintegrating.

Back
Top Bottom