Africa Twin Servicing

BillN

Reaction score
Just reading up on servicing

Oil Changes seems easy - with both filters for the DCT model

How about adjusting the valves - anyone done this?

then is it just a routine oil service at 10k miles plus a brake fluid change and a check over of all the usual?

Does anyone on here do there own servicing?

anyone had any problems with the electrics or DCT gearbox, etc.?

I don't think the valves need checking until it's second major service. I've recently had its first major service done (a tad early @ 8k for £99). Oil change and brake fluid iirc. It will be out of warranty by the time I get to 16k, so I'll more than likely give it to my (bike mechanic) mate for any servicing needs that I can't do myself.

From what I can gather the valve adjustment procedure is going to be expensive and is called for every 16,000 miles. Something like 6 hours labour. A lot of stuff has to come off and the cams out for the intake side.
Only issue I've had was the set button sticking the left switch pod which a spritz of silicone spray resolved. I love the bike.

From what I can gather the valve adjustment procedure is going to be expensive and is called for every 16,000 miles. Something like 6 hours labour. A lot of stuff has to come off and the cams out for the intake side.
Only issue I've had was the set button sticking the left switch pod which a spritz of silicone spray resolved. I love the bike.

I have read on the AT forum that strange things can happen with the DCT model if water gets into the switches

I have read on the AT forum that strange things can happen with the DCT model if water gets into the switches

Ridden in lots of heavy rain on my crosstourer day bill and not had any issues.

Other than the switch extending back sluggishly, which silicone resolved, I've had no issues. Haven't ridden a lot in rain yet but it's been hosed off a few times.

Yup - I have been told the dealer will want my bike for 2 days to do the 16,000 service - seems a bit extreme to me

This will be interesting to see, as the AT DCT is on my agenda to try. Honda quote £675 for their 3 Service Plan, but I confess I haven't gone deep into the T&Cs, so there could be some hidden extras.

Did you have to open up the switch pack to do this Clifton, or just direct spray from the outside of the switches. Any particular silicon spray? I only have wd 40 in the shed, and I know this is not what you mean. Don't want to buy the wrong stuff.

There's an owner having the 16k service done now......we'll find out very soon how much it's cost.

Any feedback on this yet? I would expect to be at 16,000 sometime early next year. Thank you!

There's an owner having the 16k service done now......we'll find out very soon how much it's cost.

I can't understand why bike manufacturers can't use hydrolic tappits on bikes. It seems madness that so much work has to be done after such few miles. Cars never have to have theirs checked/altered. In the 80s it was stated that hydraulic valves were not suitable for high revving engines but many bikes are not high revving.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/maintenance/warranty/your-service-plan.html

T and Cs on there. Includes the valve check but not labour or parts IF any adjustment is needed. I'd bet there'd be an adjustment needed...nice way for the dealer to claw some money back.

I would imagine many services are carried out without the valves being checked because it's such a long, laborious task. I'm told that major services on Triumphs are hugely expensive because of this.

I do my own including on bikes that are still covered by guarantee. I've never done a 16 or 20 valve sports bike which must be a real pain to do.

Did you have to open up the switch pack to do this Clifton, or just direct spray from the outside of the switches. Any particular silicon spray? I only have wd 40 in the shed, and I know this is not what you mean. Don't want to buy the wrong stuff.

I sprayed pure silicon spray through the straw from the outside, around the edges.

I had done this with WD40 and it made the switches gummy but the next day they worked ok. Silicone didn't do this.

I sure wish they used hydraulic valve lash adjustment too! Especially on a relative low revving motor like this.

I got told by a dealer on Friday that the 3 year service plan would include the big 16k one. And he would sell me the plan for £300.

I've asked a couple of times now how much it ended up costing. Had no reply, so presuming the shock has killed the poster. :tumbleweed

Thank you. I'll look forward to it with baited breath...

Back
Top Bottom