F800GS Dash staying on

gingagenie

Reaction score
I had a flat battery a couple of days ago so i whipped it off and charged it up. I'd not used the bike for a few weeks. Fitted it back on and it started no problem. Used it all day, stopping and starting no bother. Came to use it the day after and flat again!!! Rage filled my entire body :mad: decided to buy a new battery assuming that it was the original battery that had died ( its a 2008 model that i bought a few months back ) fitted new battery and low and behold the next day it was flat again?!?!?! Charged up again and refitted. About an hour later, it was getting dark at this point, i noticed that even though the keys were in my pocket, the dash lights where still on!! No other elecs are on, the headlights etc and it will not start without the key in. I cannot get the dash to turn off no matter what. Also, I noticed that it will do the whole dash start up check thing that it would do when first switching the bike on whilst no keys are in. Im at my wits end. Any advice will be greatly received :nenau.

Ignition switch quite likely, not uncommon. Easy to replace.

Ok so a little update. I removed the ignition to see if it needed cleaning and whilst it was off the bike and in my hand the dash came in and did its usual thing?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8ec0f5bf73642616c592b989283302c6.jpg

As you can see the ignition is off the bike

Its not just staying on its displaying an EWS sign.

Look here for for info https://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/ews

Cheers Steve, I've solved the problem. The alarm box was doing its best impression of the titanic!!! It's definitely shot, so I'm just gonna take it off and maybe look at getting a new one. Bike now is behaving the way it should be

492f26e9918a34a6e4e8f894b3f001de.jpg

It's definitely shot, so I'm just gonna take it off and maybe look at getting a new one.

I wouldnt bother - just bin it. No one takes any notice of alarms any more, and as you have just found out, they can (and do) cause all sorts of hassle when they invairiabley go wrong......

I wouldnt bother - just bin it. No one takes any notice of alarms any more, and as you have just found out, they can (and do) cause all sorts of hassle when they invairiabley go wrong......

+1. What he said.
A mate who fits bike alarms was told last year that he could get a 10% discount, £25, if he fitted a Thatcham approved alarm - for £350!! Not a good deal. The insurance agent was quite surprised when he declined to do so.

Another in agreement, waste of money and always a candidate when a flat battery is a problem. I never bother putting my steering lock on either. God knows thats raised a few comments in the past. But if they want your bike a steering lock or an alarm will not even slow them up.

Back
Top Bottom