Barcelona to Alicante in 2 days

Captain Puke

Reaction score
I'm meeting some friends in Alicante on Saturday (next week), I finish work about 4pm on Wednesday. Of course, I could just blast down the motorway but as I have time to burn... Any route recommendations or places/towns to see/stay in on the non-motorway down? I have the work hotel until Thursday lunchtime so have the luxury of staying there Wednesday night if needs be, I don't need to be in Alicante till Saturday afternoon...

Ta!

I'm meeting some friends in Alicante on Saturday (next week), I finish work about 4pm on Wednesday. Of course, I could just blast down the motorway but as I have time to burn... Any route recommendations or places/towns to see/stay in on the non-motorway down? I have the work hotel until Thursday lunchtime so have the luxury of staying there Wednesday night if needs be, I don't need to be in Alicante till Saturday afternoon...

Ta!

Nice little trip! You have lots of time to explore. If it were me I'd opt to stay two night at the same place, i.e. Albarracín, which is genuinely one of the greatest little 'cities' - yes, it has a tiny cathedral! - in Spain and a centre for some amazing roads and varied scenery.

Set off to Reus - depending nowhere you are you might as well take the AP7 as far as Junction 32 at Torredembarra (it's much quicker than sticking to the coast, where you have several tolls to pass. Then you're on the A7 past Tarragona - where I live - and turn onto the T!!/N420 just beyond Reus and take the C242 to Cornudella and Ulldemolins and onwards to La Granadella, where you leave that road and head south to Flix. If you want some very extreme twisties then head for Porrera just before Cornudella and the on to La Bisbal de Falset - nutty riding!

From Flix has south a few k's and take a back road just beyond Asco to Gandesa, where you join the N420 again before you tribe there. In the town don't miss the turn for the C43 as far as El Pinel del Brai, where you then off to Vallderobres (T333, T330). In the town turn south on the A1414 to Monroyo where you join the busy N 232 to Morella. Here you head to Catavieja on the CV 125 via La Iglesual del Cid - this is pretty much a country lane in places. From Cantavieja you have the very fast and spectacular A226 to Teruel.

By tis time you'll just want to take the main road to Albarracín, where the best hotel is the Hotel Arabia - you can run your bike up on the disabled access and leave it on tier trace for the night. Albarracín is very much a place to explore, so plan half a day's ride in the morning and explore the 'city' after a long lunch ... The roads around there are simply amazing - that's why I based my HISS events there for the fist two years as well as the trails - ask in the tourist office for some recommendations or just follow your nose ...

On down to Alicante for lunchtime take the N330 out of Teruel - if you start early head over to Bezas and El Campillo rather than the way you came in - and then your route is Ademuz, Utiel, Requena and Alma's, where you can blast down the motorway or head up into the hills again around Alcoy - if you have time!

Enjoy!

Regs

Simon

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

We're off down to just above Tarragona in a few weeks; I thought I knew the area fairly well but clearly not! Cheers Spanish Biker, some great ideas there :beerjug:

Andres

Take care, it's wild out there! Seriously, the roads are great but very narrow and the local man-in-van brigade see a clear road around every blind bend ...

Regs

Simon

Simon, if you were here now I would probably kiss you on the mouth. I did Barca to Albaraccin last night (left at a leisurely 10am, stopped off to visit the castle at morella), couldn't get a hotel in albarracin (all full) so am staying down the road at gea de albarracin.

The roads were just... epic! Every time I thought it couldn't get any better... it did! The only downside was the altitude robbing my poor old oil head 1150 of the power it doesn't have...

Gonna check out albarracin today and possibly teruel tonight, then do the final leg tomorrow. I may even cut short my time in Alicante just so I can do the route in reverse! Seriously, yesterday was the best days road riding I think I've ever had.

Muchas gracias senor!

If it's not too late for you, here's a final day.

If you can't open the link, it starts easily enough: south on the N330 to just past the village of Los Padrones, then turn left on the CV425 then (right at a roundabout) the CV580 to Dos Aguas. I recommended this road to someone else on here who described it afterwards as "a road everyone should ride once".

Take the CV580 all the way to Navarres and pick up the CV560 and CV555 to pass beneath the A7 and take the N340 around Xativa to Montaverner. Take the CV60 to Castello de Pugat.

This is where it does get a bit fiddly. It's CV614 to Salem. CV705 to Beniarres. CV711 to Planes. CV708 through Almundaina to pick up the CV710 and CV70 to Benilloba. CV787 to Benifallim to reach the road it's all about: the CV780 to Xixona and the CV800 to St Joan and then on the main road straight into Alicante (though you could peel off on the CV774 to visit the huge Cova del Canelobre - great cavern that was also used in the Civil War, I think by the anti-Franco side, but it is a few years since I visited so that detail's a bit vague)

Thanks, the link doesn't really work (only one stop between albarracin and Alicante) but I will use your write up to create a route anyway.

I've now got two options - the one you provided previously, and this new one - which is the favourite? I like fast, wide and open to tight and nadgery (that's not even a word, but you know what I mean).

Thanks again!

Simon, if you were here now I would probably kiss you on the mouth. I did Barca to Albaraccin last night (left at a leisurely 10am, stopped off to visit the castle at morella), couldn't get a hotel in albarracin (all full) so am staying down the road at gea de albarracin.

The roads were just... epic! Every time I thought it couldn't get any better... it did! The only downside was the altitude robbing my poor old oil head 1150 of the power it doesn't have...

Gonna check out albarracin today and possibly teruel tonight, then do the final leg tomorrow. I may even cut short my time in Alicante just so I can do the route in reverse! Seriously, yesterday was the best days road riding I think I've ever had.

Muchas gracias senor!

Well I hope you're a girlie! But maybe a beer or two would do instead - ideally at one of my HISS off-road events :)

I'm glad you liked the ride, that route from Morella is simply stunning isn't it, with every pass higher than the last ...

Shame about Albarracín being full but in hindsight not too surprising as this is the bus¡best holiday week of the summer.

Yes, backwards it's another out once again!

Do you live in Barna?

Regs

Simon

Back
Top Bottom