R100GS facelift

daylyons

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello girls and boys, I am slowly restoring my 1990-ish R100 GS and need to remove bevel box and swing arm to replace the worn gaiter. I see Motorworks do a re-designed gaiter to enable easier fitting. (This is good news as I recall doing the same job on a Le Mans years ago and that involved some seriously bad language.) My old Haynes Manual tells me that the pivot stub holding the belev box on the left side will be seriously tight, so I will be procuring a 12 mm hex socket (at least that is what I have measured) to do the job. Even my brilliant Bahco tool set does not extend to a 12 mm socket.

Q 1. Is it 12 mm?
Q 2. What hassle can I expect from this operation.

I eventually plan to fit a Wunderlich rear sub-frame etc, which looks the business.

bestest

dave

I wouldnt fit the Motorowrks "improved" one. They are sh*t and fail all the time. Stick to an OEM BMW one.

They should have Loktite on them so heat is advised when removing, and new Loktite on replacement.
The big end bolt socket/ key I bought from Motorworks was a Draper, and if the key for the paralever is the same brand then it, should be almost fool proof but if you are determined and ingenious enough ---------------------------------!

Fitting the boot is made much easier by ensuring the swing arm is level, i.e. in line with the transmission.

Not got a 12mm socket????
Even a Poundland set would include a 12mm.

I presume you are referring to the bolt diameter....12mm or thread size.....M12.
Likely to need a 19mm spanner or socket but sometimes oddbod applications require 21mm or 22mm.
Can't be much of a socket set that doesn't have them though.

It's Imperial fasteners where you refer to the fastener diameter for the tool.
On Metric you refer to the across the face dimension.

For instance,a 6mm fastener (M6) would require a 10mm spanner or socket.
A 10mm fastener (M10) would typically require a 17mm spanner or socket.

hex socket

Not got a 12mm socket????
Even a Poundland set would include a 12mm.

I presume you are referring to the bolt diameter....12mm or thread size.....M12.
Likely to need a 19mm spanner or socket but sometimes oddbod applications require 21mm or 22mm.
Can't be much of a socket set that doesn't have them though.

It's Imperial fasteners where you refer to the fastener diameter for the tool.
On Metric you refer to the across the face dimension.

For instance,a 6mm fastener (M6) would require a 10mm spanner or socket.
A 10mm fastener (M10) would typically require a 17mm spanner or socket.

Thanks for the reply Tarka. In fact we are talking about a hexagonal socket that requires an Allen key of 12 mm. Most Allen key sets seem to stop at 10 mm, which is already fairly large. It also has to have a socket to take a 1/2" drive as a fair amount of torque will be needed.

dave

Thanks for the reply Tarka. In fact we are talking about a hexagonal socket that requires an Allen key of 12 mm. Most Allen key sets seem to stop at 10 mm, which is already fairly large. It also has to have a socket to take a 1/2" drive as a fair amount of torque will be needed.

dave

With you now. :thumb
Yep,if you don't want to use an Allen key...or can't for whatever reason...you can buy what looks like a socket but with a hex bit (Allen key section) attached.
If you don't want to buy a full set,I'm certain that Halfords sell them individually as well as Machine Mart and doubtless B&Q.
For sets,Toolstation might be worth checking out,or Screwfix.

Back
Top Bottom