Starter and solenoid. Ain't broke ...?

John Roberts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of doing a lot of work on the RS, the starter and solenoid are lying there exposed on the top of the engine. They ain't broke. They don't need fixing. Should I fix them?

Or should I just leave them the fuck alone?

If the starter has never been inspected and you have the time and ability it would be worth stripping, cleaning, inspecting whilst your in there IMHO:thumb

Fuck it, if you are already doing a lot of work as you say, pull the clutch while you are at it. And the timing chain. Big ends as well. Rings and valves. Wheel bearings. etc etc.

THe point being, if it is working perfectly, (hopefully like the other stuff above), why "fix" it? Do it when it needs doing.

It's quite easy to get at so it's not as if you have to do a major strip to get at it, like you would for the clutch, for example....

On the other hand, if you're not up to bump starting the bike when it does pack up. And it's bound to go wrong at the most inconvenient time and place.....

Preventive maintenance would have you visually inspect for abnormalities at oppertune intervals and then replace before the normal life cycle for the part causes a malfunction in uncontrollable circumstances.Budget constrainsts may defer some inspections or replacements to later periods.

On inspection you may find parts that are worn but do not need urgent repalcement which you could plan in for later.

Gentlemen , I think you misunderstand. I now have somebody to blame when it does go wrong. Solidstate100 take a bow! :D

Actually I'm doing such a lot of preventative maintenance I don't have much stomach for much more, there's always the possibility that I'll get pissed off with it and leave it for a while, just a little teensy weensy while you understand, and then it'll never get finished just like my MG which I started 50 years ago. So, a real possibility then. :eek:

So your one of these folk we see place "project" vehicles for sale on auction sites :D

Anyhow as I posted check the manufacturers listing for the maintenance schedule for the part as it will give you an idea as to the failure rate and if its worth looking over.

leave it alone ...... or, what I would do is to fit a new one is you have any doubts about it's reliability

They are not expensive

Actually I'm doing such a lot of preventative maintenance I don't have much stomach for much more, there's always the possibility that I'll get pissed off with it and leave it for a while, just a little teensy weensy while you understand, and then it'll never get finished just like my MG which I started 50 years ago. So, a real possibility then. :eek:

If its a Valeo definitely pull it out and clean out the clutch dust and grime

AND split the front end off it and clean out the hard grease in the reduction gears and pack some fresh in there

Trust me if there's one thing worth doing on an Airhead that is in the top ten!

Gentlemen , I think you misunderstand. I now have somebody to blame when it does go wrong. Solidstate100 take a bow! :D

Aye fang yu :D

Seriously tho, you have to stop somewhere, otherwise you will end up restoring the bike accidentally......

If its a Valeo definitely pull it out and clean out the clutch dust and grime

AND split the front end off it and clean out the hard grease in the reduction gears and pack some fresh in there

Trust me if there's one thing worth doing on an Airhead that is in the top ten!
Ah, that's a good enough reason for me. In which case I will go ahead and have a look, I didn't know it was a particularly weak point. Bugger.

Thank you Doc.

I've just stripped the motor down and the brushes look hardly worn, they are 15mm long; can anyone tell me what the wear limit is on them? TBH I shall be very surprised if they are anywhere near needing replacing, everything looks so clean in there with very little graphite dust. The commutator's fine too, just some very shallow grooves but very clean and the slots between the comm segments clear of any dirt/dust. Surprisingly the Haynes manual says that it couldn't find out from either Bosch or BMW what the limit is, and the official BMW workshop manual doesn't even mention the new length or wear limit.

So, for curiosity's sake: wear limit, anybody? :)

PS I've owned the bike from new, this is the first time I've had a look at the starter/solenoid.

Back
Top Bottom