Chopping in a 12 for an 8 ??

Of course it's possible to sell it privately but how many people would hand over 10K+ for a bike and then walk away trusting the seller would actually pay off the finance ? Not me thats for sure. A month later theres a knock at the door and the bailiffs take it away as the seller pissed the money up the wall and didn't settle the pcp finance. Happens quite often in the car world. I'm not saying you would do that as I know you but other people don't.
The dealer will work out how much you still owe on your pcp, then work out how much you bikes worth in Glasses guide and subtract that from the bikes value. You are likely to still owe them money. Once you settle that up you will be starting from zero to get the new 800 so you'll need a deposit to get it on pcp.........I'd save a bit more and get a bank loan, pcp is for mugs. Hope you make the correct choice though Stuart.

You make some great points, I've had career in financial services, PCP is not for mugs! It's definitely not always the best thing to do, there are times when you can get incredible deals! Example, oil crash in Aberdeen, hundreds of Audi cars, BMW cars handed back to the dealer. Owners stating, lost my job, see you in court if you have to! These cars were sold off with huge discounts on new price, low apr's on PCP deals! I have one of these cars!!

So in answer to my own question it seems I can chop it in for a new 800 trophy and be £30 a month less to pay and that's it.

As for pcp, it's all relative, it suits me cause I never keep bikes long so getting a new bike every 2/3/4 years suits me.

We all know that most of the time these type of bike are never off road. If you want to take one off road you have the option to put a tube in if you feel that it would be beneficial. On tube type rims you don't have the option to run without tubes unless you spend a fair bit of money. JJH

Not all tubeless spoke rims will take a tube. Certainly the ones on my previous KTM adventure had the valve hole offset from the centre so I could not fit a tube. Rather annoying really as I agree with your idea.

So in answer to my own question it seems I can chop it in for a new 800 trophy and be £30 a month less to pay and that's it.

As for pcp, it's all relative, it suits me cause I never keep bikes long so getting a new bike every 2/3/4 years suits me.

Thanks for this thread!

Be interested to see how you get on with the 800 GS if you go down that route.

It's something that I'm interested in doing as although I love my R1200GS to bits, I want to ride it through winter (and it's not really survived non winter use so far!) and I'm not entirely sure I need the full power if the 1200.

Added to that, with having stumpy legs, something slightly smaller would be an advantage as the other half has started hinting that she'd like to ride pillion and I need to keep the bike steady when she gets on.

It's not any shorter than a 1200 if at all, best go have a test ride or at least a sit on one.

I like my 12 but it's not a "fun" bike to me, competent, very competent but just a bit boring if I'm being honest. I have two road bikes and choose my other over it more often than not.

Not all tubeless spoke rims will take a tube. Certainly the ones on my previous KTM adventure had the valve hole offset from the centre so I could not fit a tube. Rather annoying really as I agree with your idea.

Didn't know that. Was it offset by a lot? Would the flexibility of a tube not allow enough leeway to let it fit? JJH

It's not any shorter than a 1200 if at all, best go have a test ride or at least a sit on one.

I like my 12 but it's not a "fun" bike to me, competent, very competent but just a bit boring if I'm being honest. I have two road bikes and choose my other over it more often than not.

I can just about get my feet flat on the floor with the 1200GS, so I'm hoping that with a lowered seat the 800GS Adventure might be a possibility, but if not I'll try out an 800GS.

Know what you near about the 1200 being competent - it's been fine touring Germany and France, but there was the odd moment that I thought I could have done with something a little more steady at a stand still / in traffic and something a bit livelier in the corners.

Go up to the Highlands quite a bit, so would be interested which of the two would cope better with the roads plus would be interested to see how the 800GS would cope on a trip to Norway or the likes in comparison to the 1200.

Probably be better off asking the in the 650/700/800 section :doh

A 1200 will handle better than and 800 purely based on the difference in the front wheel size. 21 inch front wheeled bikes don't go round corners as well as smaller sized front wheels.

A 1200 will handle better than and 800 purely based on the difference in the front wheel size. 21 inch front wheeled bikes don't go round corners as well as smaller sized front wheels.

What a load of tosh :D

I've got an F650CS with 17" front wheel and the R1200GS with 19" front wheel and the difference in turning into corners has never crossed my mind.

The only difference I have noticed is the 650CS feels the pot holes / ruts / terrible roads around here more than the 1200 - would suspect that the 21" wheel would be even better on the real...'roads' around here.

There's a lot of other things to consider bescides the wheel size. If you had 2 bikes the same with different wheel sizes one 21 inch and the other 17 then you would have a valid comparison to draw conclusions from. The 1200 has totally different suspension to the 800. I never found the 21 inch wheel on my 800gsa a hinderence that could be because I'm not a good enough rider to notice. But I'm happy with that. JJH

Sorry, maybe it's me, and it probably is, but my 800 would go around corners a lot better than the 12 does.
I had an 800 for about 6 years then went for the LC. As a package the LC is a great bike. The engine is fantastic and it's a lot of fun to ride. But I don't love it. I loved the 800.

Also, if anything the stock 800GS was a taller bike than the LC is.

Wheel diameter and weight play a major part in the handling of any bike.

Reduce the diameter, for a similar weight - you lower the inertia and gyroscopic effect.
Reduce the weight too - and you really start to see the benefit, both in the above - and in the unsprung weight.

One of the reasons that the original Fireblade was brought out with 16" wheels initially (rather than the normal 17" of sports bikes).

Al

Wheel diameter and weight play a major part in the handling of any bike.

Reduce the diameter, for a similar weight - you lower the inertia and gyroscopic effect.
Reduce the weight too - and you really start to see the benefit, both in the above - and in the unsprung weight.

One of the reasons that the original Fireblade was brought out with 16" wheels initially (rather than the normal 17" of sports bikes).

Al

Wheel ;)

Sorry, maybe it's me, and it probably is, but my 800 would go around corners a lot better than the 12 does.
I had an 800 for about 6 years then went for the LC. As a package the LC is a great bike. The engine is fantastic and it's a lot of fun to ride. But I don't love it. I loved the 800.

Also, if anything the stock 800GS was a taller bike than the LC is.

I test rode the 8 last week and loved it, I have a 12 and it's ok, doesn't quite do it for me, guess it's all a bit boring for me, but anyone who thinks a 21 inch wheel goes round corners better than say a 19 inch wheel really is having themselves on.

How many sports bikes do you see with 21inch wheels ;)

Well here's one for starters ....

i-q92LjFn-L.jpg

i-WL5CHrC-L.jpg

i-W5MTNR5-L.jpg

i-zP9xx6N-L.jpg

There's handling ... and there's h a n d l i n g :D

"It's how you ride .... not what you ride"

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom