Top ten things to do when overhauling an Airhead?

John Roberts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know it's done a good mileage but what bits have had attention to date?

My list in no particular order would include:

Brake calipers - always surprises me how much difference a service makes.
Cylinder heads, valves and springs
Timing chain
Splines
Head bearings
Carbs
Fuel taps
Pushrod tubes/seals

Timing chain
Splines
Head bearings
Carbs
Fuel taps
Pushrod tubes/seals

Thats only eight. Must be another one in there..........

If it helps, the to-do list so far is, but not limited to:
Clutch arm. Clutch plate (well, why not?) New seals & bearings in the gearbox. O/haul of the three calipers, the two master cylinders, change some brake lines and all three hoses. New exhaust valves, seats & guides. New rubber bushes/mounts/woevvah for the battery carrier. (And for somewhere else as well, can't think where just now.) New S/S pushrod tubes and seals. Rear swing arm out to repaint it, should make access to the bastard rear brake master bastard cylinder a little easier. Overhaul the Bings. New throttle cables, and- might as well- clutch cable. Check the oil pump, and there's an O ring that might need changing in there I believe. Change the rear crank seal. New back tyre. New/check alternator brushes. Give the centre stand a touch of weld 'cos it's worn. Fit a new power socket. And from the advice to my other thread, check/overhaul the starter and solenoid. Oh, mustn't forget to put the relevant oils and fluids in.​

Other than that it isn't too bad. :augie

PS I MUST REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE CRANK SO AS TO STOP IT BEING PUSHED FORWARD WHEN I CHANGE THE REAR OIL SEAL.

I MUST REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE CRANK SO AS TO STOP IT BEING PUSHED FORWARD WHEN I CHANGE THE REAR OIL SEAL.
I MUST REMEMBER TO SUPPORT THE CRANK SO AS TO STOP IT BEING PUSHED FORWARD WHEN I CHANGE THE REAR OIL SEAL.

Edit: I must also remember to remove it before cranking/starting the engine afterwards. :blast

Timing chain
Splines
Head bearings
Carbs
Fuel taps
Pushrod tubes/seals
Just finished my to do list- see above- when I saw this. It makes me feel a lot better. In fact in the last few ??? years I have indeed done:
Timing chain and tensioner, Head bearings, Fuel taps (horrible job getting the thread of the cover to engage on the body against the pressure of the spring the metal feels so soft and the thread so fine I'm sure it's so easy to cross-thread, yes- I hate that job), Splines, you say? Clutch? Rear wheel?

Actually I've changed all the wheel bearings and the bean can as well.

Ah! just seen the throttle cables mentioned too, yes, that's on the list too.

My list was aimed at preventitive/service maintenance. Any spline you come across needs greasing.

in NO particular order

@ that miles I'd have had the heads off twice to check the valve guides and mainly the exhaust Valves (On advice from an Old Bearded Tosser who was usually right but is Sadly no longer with us #Proff)
Alternator Brushes/Slip ring state
Wiring state especially as it exits the casing and up by the starter relay
Clutch, input shaft and Drive splines (<-Twinshock)
Starter Strip and Clean
Throttle, choke, Clutch and Speedo cables
Final drive bearings
Steering head bearings
Brake hose condition
Wheel bearings

The likes of carbs and Exhaust Roses need checked you can usually limp home with the carbs and you should free the exhaust roses regularly but 90% of the above will leave you stranded

These aren't just for the GS models but cover all BMW air-cooled twins.

Exhaust valves - 80K miles on the 80/100 models, 60k miles on the R45/65.

Undo exhaust flange nuts yearly, coat threads in nickel anti-sieze paste.

If the bike is pre-81 with the under tank front brake master cylinder check the main relay and wiring under the master cylinder = brake fluid leaks out and fecks the area big time.

Renew front and rear wheel bearing seals on the models with shimmed taper bearings.

Post 81 bikes grease the heat sink that attaches to the ignition controller.

Yearly undo the four engine mounting bolts and tap the engine mounting studs in and out and rotate back and forth to stop them from seizing. Do the same thing on the front mudguard mounting bolts.

Every few years renew the rubber speedo cover where it locates into the gearbox, it perishes and allows water into the gearbox.

Centre stand bushings, again mainly pre-81 bikes. Grease yearly and replace every few years. I see far too many bikes with fecked frame lugs due to dry bushes and the bike drops too far back and it's a struggle to get the bike off the centre stand as it's gone too far forward.

These aren't just for the GS models but cover all BMW air-cooled twins.

Exhaust valves - 80K miles on the 80/100 models, 60k miles on the R45/65.

Undo exhaust flange nuts yearly, coat threads in nickel anti-sieze paste.

If the bike is pre-81 with the under tank front brake master cylinder check the main relay and wiring under the master cylinder = brake fluid leaks out and fecks the area big time.

Renew front and rear wheel bearing seals on the models with shimmed taper bearings.

Post 81 bikes grease the heat sink that attaches to the ignition controller.

Yearly undo the four engine mounting bolts and tap the engine mounting studs in and out and rotate back and forth to stop them from seizing. Do the same thing on the front mudguard mounting bolts.

Every few years renew the rubber speedo cover where it locates into the gearbox, it perishes and allows water into the gearbox.

Centre stand bushings, again mainly pre-81 bikes. Grease yearly and replace every few years. I see far too many bikes with fecked frame lugs due to dry bushes and the bike drops too far back and it's a struggle to get the bike off the centre stand as it's gone too far forward.
Thank you very much Mr Steptoe.

This stuff you mention for the exhaust stubs, now this wouldn't be that aero engine stuff you mentioned some time ago is it? Or is it something that's available to Joe-Bloggs-on-the-street? Either Coppaslip or Optimol seems to be a popular choice, I have a fair bit of each, is it worth getting this nickel based stuff if I do undo (do undo?? Yes, that's right, that's right) and re coat my exhaust nuts regularly anyway?

That little rubber speedo cable cover, I put on a small cable tie at the top of mine to make sure no water runs down along the cable, but I will get a new one since you mention it. Silly not to, they should be cheap enough. Thank you.

Wheel bearing seals: what a good idea, I'll go for that. Am I right in thinking that there's one (at least) seal that is narrower than usual for that size, i.e. 5mm instead of the usual 6mm? I think that's the one that goes inside the hub on the left. I had difficulty in getting one of those the last time, I think I got one from Sherlock's, they had loads in stock.

About the hub bearings shims, I've modified the shimming arrangement on mine to make things easier for myself. OK, this is going to be of limited interest to most folks, but it works well for me as I have a pretty good lathe and, as my mate tells me I "like fucking about". :p On my RS there was a long spacer tube and you had to select (by trial and error) a suitable thickness of smaller shim which was about 5mm thick plus or minus a few thous to adjust for the correct preload in the bearings. To make things a lot easier for myself I reduced the length of the long spacer tube so as to allow the use of correspondingly longer shims, (I can easily make such shims on my lathe) i.e. about 15mm long: enough to be gripped in my lathe chuck squarely so as to be able to adjust the length evenly and precisely; this isn't possible with the standard 5mm shims because it's difficult to grip them squarely in a lathe chuck. I used a hand-held scraper held against the spinning shim to trim the last few fractions of thous off. That was because I found it a lot easier than using the cross-slide when taking that final shaving cut. Of course this isn't a job that needs doing very often but now I don't have to send away for lots of shims while only needing one size. See, I told you you wouldn't be all that interested. Oh, I see, you've gone already ... :p

Centre stand, that's on the list, but I always wonder about greasing places like that, places covered in oil and shit (well in my case) it reminds me of the problems the Army had in the desert in the war, the link pivots in the tank tracks were wearing out very quickly and they kept on putting more and more grease on them. The problem was finally overcome by simply cleaning all the grease off on running them dry. No, I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I thought it was interesting. Anyway, I'll go with your advice.

Fresh paste for the heatsink, another good one. As is the one about the front mudguard bolts. Actually I do use Optimol for a lot of the exposed threads on the bike, it makes taking things off a lot easier especially things like the fiddly little 5mm(?) socket screws that hold the silencer brackets onto the rear footrest hangers. Mine have rotted away and I've re tapped them to 6mm and use stainless screws, (I used the ones with a half-round head because the have a bigger head, it saves having to use a washer) a great improvement. If I remember correctly, if anybody fancies doing this themselves then take care not to have the screws too long on the right hand side because it could tighten up against the rear brake master cylinder. In which case it might be best to cut all four to the same length in case you get them mixed up when putting them back in.

Thanks again.
:beerjug:

in NO particular order

@ that miles I'd have had the heads off twice to check the valve guides and mainly the exhaust Valves (On advice from an Old Bearded Tosser who was usually right but is Sadly no longer with us #Proff)
Wiring state especially as it exits the casing and up by the starter relay
Final drive bearings

The likes of carbs and Exhaust Roses need checked you can usually limp home with the carbs and you should free the exhaust roses regularly but 90% of the above will leave you stranded
Ah, Proff, RIP mate.

Again, some more good points. I do have reservations about the final drive (the bevel box, right?) The magnetic drain plug seems fine, by which I mean nothing untoward on it, and it isn't noisy or unduly hot and it doesn't leak oil, so I'm inclined to leave it alone. I have some limited experience with bevel boxes (and diffs) but I think I'll chicken out this time.

:beerjug:

Ah, Proff, RIP mate.

Ditto that. I often think of him, particularly when I am hands on with the G/S - today even, as a matter of fact - he was my Metzeler Enduro 1 and 2 tyre supplier of choice, and I was looking at my tyres today and thinking, Hmmm, need some new ones soon, if only Proff was here....Ah well.....

What a useful thread. How about making it a sticky Mr Mod?

What's the solution for bushes / lugs that have started to wear? Yeah, I know ... Replace them but any advice or tips on doing the job?

Back
Top Bottom