B500 weekend closures for motorcycles?

Tank

Reaction score
Evening all.

I have read, in a couple of posts, and on some websites, that certain sections of the B500 are closed to motorcycles at weekends. Others have said it is just more heavily policed at the weekends so none the wiser as to which is correct!

Does anyone know of a link to a site that shows where and when these closures, if they exist, are please?

I have looked but even though I have seen it mentioned, and one site said to 'check before riding there' but offered no link to check :blast

Thanks

Tank

I was over the b500 late July it was very quiet never seen any police, spoke to a few Germans said they prefer the roads that run along the b500 good biking twisties. Once you get near baden baden you go thru the town busy traffic. To reach the other part of the b500 bottom section. Have fun

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I was there about 3 weeks ago and no issues, neither were there any rumours of problems.

Plenty of other good roads anyway so would not abandon a trip over it myself, not forgetting the road is a couple of hundred miles long, any closures (if they exist) are likely to be for short sections at limited times (like when all the dickheads come out to crash)

The B500 is an iconic major road, running north south, through the Black Forest. It has been taking traffic for as long as anyone can remember. Like many iconic roads, it attracts visitors and opinions, growing a mythology all of its own. You can ride it some days and not see one policeman and on another maybe see quite a few. It is rarely (if ever) completely shut over it's entire length; when it is shut in parts that is generally due to roadworks and maintenance.

Yes, as the Black Forest is a huge area, you can find what some call 'better roads', the ADAC map and very many other similar 'biker route' maps all show them. I created a lot when I made the sticky. Ironically, some bikers complain that parts of these roads are sometimes too bumpy, the road surfaces broken and that riding them makes the day too long. What you might well find is that small parts of these lesser roads are closed to motorcycles and even other vehicles between certain hours on certain days, a phenomenon that, whilst not common, can be found elsewhere in Germany and indeed in other countries.

Go there ride it as you find it. Then - and only then - declare it shut, shit, great, teaming with police and nutters or not. You'll have earned the right to express any opinion you like; an opinion that will then perhaps be repeated as the ultimate and absolute truth by the next person who happens to hear or read it.

I spent 3 days on it a couple of weeks ago, and didn't see the plod once. As others say, some great roads off of the main B500 drag, which were awesome to ride and take in the scenery.... if you want a high-speed race track experience, then go to the Nurburgring for some fast road riding in an organised chaotic madness to get your fix... the B500 and surrounding area is best for riding with the time to enjoy the road at brisk, but legal speeds (just) taking in the scenery... imo, obviously.

Stay at Pension Williams if you want to meet other uk bikers to banter with. Great German restaurant in Seebach...:beerjug:

Top bit is 30 miles long from Baden-Baden to near Kniebis and bottom bit is 60 from Triberg to Koblenz. Seen a dark brown van, blacked out windows, parked up in a layby which had a speed cameras inside, unmanned. I was flashed from the front when going south so stopped for a look on the way back up. Keep those eyes open. PS I was entering a 50kmh area and was doing a GPS 53kmh when I was flashed.

Thanks for input guys.

Been touring Europe now for over 25 years and each year my mate spends hours plotting routes, etc so we take in some of the best roads we can however not all info is readily available even on the www!

While I was researching I came across this article:

The road from Baden-Baden to Freudenstadt is not the entire B500 which, starts at the border with France (where the French D4 ends) all the way through to Switzerland at Waldshut. While it doesn't always carry the B500 designation, anything that is marked as such is well worth the ride. Do note that motorcycles are banned from certain sections of the road on weekends so check in advance.

The last part of that paragraph implied you should check but looks like it is bollox!

Did the Ring few years ago when I had my Hayabusa, stayed at the 'Nordschleife' hotel run by Eddy who took us for 3 laps, bloody fantastic experience! :D

Off to Slovenia this time and everyone has said, avoid lake Bled as full of tourists and bloody coaches but when you have a 'tick list' you have to do it!!

I doubt very much that it will be shit on the B500 as pretty much any road in France, Germany, Austria etc etc is far better than the majority of pot hole ridden roads in the UK!!

If it is Shit I will report back :D

I was on it this morning, not a Policeman in sight, however that does not mean that they are not around, you have German police riding normal bikes in normal clothing with cameras and radar on board, as for websites, this one is good to check what roads are closed, it is in German, but just expand the map it is pretty simple.

http://www.mintelonline.de/Streckensperrungen/

We have seen occasional closures over the years. Forest fires or logging activities usually, mainly on the southern section. Still it's an opportunity to experience an amazing Umleitung - not quite the same magical mystery tour these days, with the advent of GPS/Nav.

They regularly do this all over Germany as the locals are fed up of fishing bikers out of their hedges/garden/summer house/etc.
Not unusual at all.
Go anywhere near the Gelbactall or the surrounding and you'll see it all the time.

Cheers

Always have to ride looking for bloody plod these days and their covert entrapment methods!!

Suppose when we are all wafting along in our poxy, self driven, electric cars there will be no need for plod to police the roads!

Looking forward to going now so wont let any of the normal crap ruin 12 days away :D

Quote (Off to Slovenia this time and everyone has said, avoid lake Bled as full of tourists and bloody coaches but when you have a 'tick list' you have to do it!!) Just go and make sure you do the next lake up Bohinjsko it has a nice cafe and is far prettier imho.

Attachments

• IMG_8581.jpg
    IMG_8581.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 786
Was on the B500 heading south Baden Baden a few weeks back. No issues apart from being busy with tourists, as usual (the guys I was with had not done the B500). On our way back through Black Forest a week later we took alternative roads, much more interesting and barely any traffic.
Its a bit like Stelvio, massively over rated BUT if its on the bucket list, then there is no real alternative!
As to police, speeding, speed traps, the real place to be careful is Switzerland. Stunning place in the South/mountains/passes but they are seriously milking motorists with speed traps often in the middle of now where.

Evening all.

I have read, in a couple of posts, and on some websites, that certain sections of the B500 are closed to motorcycles at weekends. Others have said it is just more heavily policed at the weekends so none the wiser as to which is correct!

Does anyone know of a link to a site that shows where and when these closures, if they exist, are please?

I have looked but even though I have seen it mentioned, and one site said to 'check before riding there' but offered no link to check :blast

Thanks

Tank

I must have mis read your other thread as I thought you were concerned where your route ventured off the b500 onto local much more interesting roads!

personally, I would avoid the b500 at weekends, not because it closes (it doesnt), but because it fills up with tourist traffic, coaches, cars, etc etc and all the stopping places are full, so not really fun to ride, mid week its a very quick road..........if you know what I mean!

Back
Top Bottom