Played with the Sport suspension

The lastest ESA version provides self levelling of the suspension, so instead of three fixed preload settings ( 1 helmet, 2 helmets, 2 helmets + luggage) the preload is continuously variable, along with associated adjustments to damping. So long as the bike is in Auto preload mode, once you move off it will adjust the preload and damping to suit the actual load on the bike, rather than being restricted to one of three presets. This means that as long as it is not overloaded the bike will maintain its intended ride height and attitude. Along with Auto, there are two other preload options - Min and Max, but I don't think these are intended for general use, more for specific requirements, Max possibly for maximum ground clearance offroad but I'm not sure what Min is intended for.

When you put a hexhead to off-road mode it gets high & hard...

I'm guessing it's because those that can off-road are very demanding on what the suspension needs to deal with

True.............if the bike in question truly was a 'big bike' off road bike with proper off road suspension.

In reality it's a marketing exercise; a different coloured GS with GSA suspension. No more, no less.

Andres

Complicated.. can see I'm gonna have to spend some extra time with the manual..
incidentally I didn't spec sport suspension but I got dealer to do a spec list as I thought it was too high in Auto mode.. I struggle to reach the floor in auto & im not short in the leg..

I bought the low chassis version which is 20 mm shorter than standard, not because I have short legs, but so that I could use a standard seat and still get my feet fully flat. Auto mode should just ensure that the bike stays at its designed ride height regardless of load, so I think the issue is that the standard bike is bit tall at its normal height for the average rider. It would be interesting to see how ride height in Auto with just the rider on board compares with the 1 helmet setting on the previous model. It should be the about the same given a rider of the weight the 1 helmet setting is tuned for, but maybe it is higher.

I don't go offroad so the reduction in ride height is not an issue to me, and the slightly lower centre of gravity of the lowered version is helpful, especially with pillion and luggage.

True.............if the bike in question truly was a 'big bike' off road bike with proper off road suspension.

In reality it's a marketing exercise; a different coloured GS with GSA suspension. No more, no less.

Andres

Only has GSA suspension if you specify the "Sport" option which incidentally BMW don't recommend for mainly road use, otherwise it is no different to any other 2017 GS.

The lastest ESA version provides self levelling of the suspension, so instead of three fixed preload settings ( 1 helmet, 2 helmets, 2 helmets + luggage) the preload is continuously variable, along with associated adjustments to damping. So long as the bike is in Auto preload mode, once you move off it will adjust the preload and damping to suit the actual load on the bike, rather than being restricted to one of three presets. This means that as long as it is not overloaded the bike will maintain its intended ride height and attitude. Along with Auto, there are two other preload options - Min and Max, but I don't think these are intended for general use, more for specific requirements, Max possibly for maximum ground clearance offroad but I'm not sure what Min is intended for.

The preload range is suprisingly small. Just me on the bike, 11st, there is no difference between min and auto. Me and the Doris, 10.5st and an empty vario topbox, no difference between auto and max. The actual range that the auto suspension will maintain ride height is probably somewhere in the 10st range, any more and the bike gets lower.

The preload range is suprisingly small. Just me on the bike, 11st, there is no difference between min and auto. Me and the Doris, 10.5st and an empty vario topbox, no difference between auto and max. The actual range that the auto suspension will maintain ride height is probably somewhere in the 10st range, any more and the bike gets lower.

I've not found it to be so limited. Are you riding it a little in Auto before checking, as it does not auto-adjust until it has moved a certain distance - I'm not sure how far it needs. I've been touring Spain and Portugal for the last two weeks and if my wife gets off while I park the bike I struggle to reach the floor so the preload seems to make a big difference. Conversely if I've been riding solo and then my wife gets on the suspension sags so much initially that if I don't remember to retract the sidestand before she gets on then I am unable to do so and she has to get off again, yet by the time we've travelled a couple of hundred yards it is fully adjusted back up to normal ride height. I wish Auto would adjust while stationary, but other than that I find it extremely effective over a wide range of loads.

I've not found it to be so limited. Are you riding it a little in Auto before checking, as it does not auto-adjust until it has moved a certain distance - I'm not sure how far it needs. I've been touring Spain and Portugal for the last two weeks and if my wife gets off while I park the bike I struggle to reach the floor so the preload seems to make a big difference. Conversely if I've been riding solo and then my wife gets on the suspension sags so much initially that if I don't remember to retract the sidestand before she gets on then I am unable to do so and she has to get off again, yet by the time we've travelled a couple of hundred yards it is fully adjusted back up to normal ride height. I wish Auto would adjust while stationary, but other than that I find it extremely effective over a wide range of loads.
I understand how the suspension works. I have just had my rear shock replaced this week as it was losing preload so I have been obsessing over preload matters for the last couple of months.
If you ride your bike solo in Auto make note of how high the bike is, then fully load it and the missus the make a note how high the bike sits, I am sure is will sit lower when fully loaded. This means that the preload is unable the lift the bike back to solo ride hieght therefore it has gone past the point at which it is self leveling and is being overloaded, The optimum weight load at which the bike fails to maintain the solo ride height is not as much as you think. The bike is still ok to ride as you need to tend ride ride more conservatively when loaded.

I understand how the suspension works. I have just had my rear shock replaced this week as it was losing preload so I have been obsessing over preload matters for the last couple of months.
If you ride your bike solo in Auto make note of how high the bike is, then fully load it and the missus the make a note how high the bike sits, I am sure is will sit lower when fully loaded. This means that the preload is unable the lift the bike back to solo ride hieght therefore it has gone past the point at which it is self leveling and is being overloaded, The optimum weight load at which the bike fails to maintain the solo ride height is not as much as you think. The bike is still ok to ride as you need to tend ride ride more conservatively when loaded.
I've not actually measured it, so you could well be right, but it at the end of the day it handles better fully loaded with pillion and luggage than any other bike I've owned, and is not obviously overly sagging as previous bikes were, so I'm happy with that.

So if the ride height is 850mm riding solo,:moped:what height does the suspension rise to whilst you are carrying a pillion (Doris) does the bike maintain 850mm? and when the pillion disembarks the bike is at what height?:duno
Cheers
:hide

Is the 2017 suspension better?

For riders like Nutty,who have the latest suspension.Do you think this is an improvement over say 2016 suspension?Thanks Dogmaboy.

I had a TB LC for 18 months, standard height seat could just about flat foot it, suspension much softer even set 2 up I wouldn't say it rides as high as the new Rallye. On the Rallye I have a low seat and set to auto I am on tip toes. The suspension is much firmer (not hard) but on occasion I think it does some sort of counter initiative things when the weight on the bike shifts or offloads it sort of raises up just briefly, that might just be me but that's how it feels, same happens if you come to a stop using a bit too much front brake, a little hard ( first couple of weeks getting used to the biting point) the bike did the same sat up not down. Is it better, I think so, is it spot on, I recon there will be some software update to smooth things out a bit over time. Just a case of getting used to it I think.

So if the ride height is 850mm riding solo,:moped:what height does the suspension rise to whilst you are carrying a pillion (Doris) does the bike maintain 850mm? and when the pillion disembarks the bike is at what height?:duno
Cheers
:hide
There are too many variables to be accurate as where you put the weight is just as important, two 10st people on a bike will compress the suspension more than a 20st solo rider as there is more weight at the rear creating more leverage. The empty vario topbox weighs a massive (on my bathroom scales) 1st 3lbs this makes a huge impact as it is right at the back of the bike.

There are too many variables to be accurate as where you put the weight is just as important, two 10st people on a bike will compress the suspension more than a 20st solo rider as there is more weight at the rear creating more leverage. The empty vario topbox weighs a massive (on my bathroom scales) 1st 3lbs this makes a huge impact as it is right at the back of the bike.

The difference in my experience may be at least partly due to the fact that I chose the low chassis version of the bike which supposedly has a shorter but stiffer spring. If the preload adjuster has the same range of movement, and there is no reason to suppose it doesn't, then it may effectively give a wider range of adjustment with respect to the load on the bike.

Good point about the weight of the luggage - that was one of the reasons I decided against the Vario set, and went with Shad stuff instead, much lighter, and as I know from past experience, extremely strong.

The difference in my experience may be at least partly due to the fact that I chose the low chassis version of the bike which supposedly has a shorter but stiffer spring. If the preload adjuster has the same range of movement, and there is no reason to suppose it doesn't, then it may effectively give a wider range of adjustment with respect to the load on the bike.

Good point about the weight of the luggage - that was one of the reasons I decided against the Vario set, and went with Shad stuff instead, much lighter, and as I know from past experience, extremely strong.
Mine is the low chassis version.

I thought this thread was about the SPORT suspension not the lowered suspension. Mind you the BMW nomenclature is a tad confusing.

I generally don't take pillions. They can buy their own bloody bike!
However, a few weeks ago I did a ride out for Help the Heroes and I took a pillion on my GS Rallye for the first time (not sports suspension). The gent, who was medium build, climbed on and was a model pillion. At the time he got on and I started the bike I did not feel any movement in the suspension but the bike felt and rode perfectly as if it was carry no extra weight. When the chap climbed off outside the pub I was suddenly on tip toes as obviously the suspension had auto adjusted to account for his weight. A few seconds after he had got off (with the engine running) the bike lowered again.
In my opinion the suspension worked perfectly.

To answer Nutty's original question. I think enduro setting has to be a hard set up otherwise it would bottom out on large bumps and jumps. When riding enduro aren't you supposed to drastically reduce your tyre pressure to about 14psi? Surely this would mitigate the hard ride from the suspension.

Neil

When I went out on Saturday, the suspension automatically set to the highest position, as I was on tiptoes, despite it being in Auto. After stopping, and cycling it between settings, and back to Auto, it then went back to the normal height.

Has this happened to anyone else, with the Sport suspension?

And no, I haven't read the manual, which probably says the 'Max' setting is only for off-road, but I want to hear from anyone else that's also played with the settings.[/QUOTE]

Yes is the short answer... max setting is way too hard solo. I have however used max setting when two up and loaded and its quite good for that if you want a sporty ride.. Mostly though Im in auto mode and switch between road and dynamic damping depending...

Back
Top Bottom