Numb bum... very numb bum.

I have tried all of the above except the sheepskin. Air Hawks are a good solution and I've done many miles on them.

Sargent seats are good, but very firm, I guess they work because the are wide and spread the load better than stock. My favourite by a country mile is the Corbin, now had two and it's like sitting in an armchair. I bought both of mine on here and sold the first one when I changed bikes.

Be glad you don't ride the previous iteration of the GS. The saddle was terrible, I could only do about 200 miles a day. On my 2016 GS with a standard saddle and 2 up plus luggage I recently did 750 miles in a day with a very numb bum but no pain. Mind you, I'm 125kgs so any saddle will struggle to support me.

PS. I believe Airhawk do a complete saddle now as well as pads. May be worth looking at.

And this shows how subjective seats are. On my 10 plate GS I regularly did 400 mile stints and did one 850 mile run from Grenoble to Leeds only stopping to fill with no problem. It was the best stock seat I have ever had.

And this shows how subjective seats are. On my 10 plate GS I regularly did 400 mile stints and did one 850 mile run from Grenoble to Leeds only stopping to fill with no problem. It was the best stock seat I have ever had.

Really, I found my 10 plate's saddle gave me a bad pain at the base of the spine if I did a big day.

Sheepy, all day long comfy.

So, in all seriousness, what happens to Sheepy when those dark clouds empty on you both? Do you slip Sheepy in the topbox and go back to a numb bum til the weather improves or does he shed rainwater like he did when he was live and greasy?

Leave 'sheepy' on the bike. I find mine doesn't take on much water and a quick shake when the rain stops is all that's needed, it will then dry same as your kit. I ride a 12 plate GSA (Hexhead) with the front raised, a cheap 'stadium seat pad' (poor mans Airhawk) with an Alasken leather sheepskin and it's all day comfortable. Recent trip to Spain easily did 360 - 460 mile days, stopping every two hours for 10 minutes to stretch the legs & standing whilst riding through villages again to stretch the legs. Only uncomfortable day I had was when I removed the seat and when refitting put it back to standard, front and rear on high, this caused me to slide forward in the saddle. Didn't realise why the discomfort until I stopped that evening.

Cheapest fix, put the seat on Low Rear mount, and High front mount, just done 3k miles around Europe without to many problems, seat range was in line with bladder range so all good. Kahedo's are great to if it has to be a new seat, I hate the way Sargeants are shaped, the pan is like a spoon so you can't move around as much, so they are comfortable, as long as you want to sit there, "in" the bike, wearing a twat suit, looking down upon the lesser mortals and their lesser machines ;) ;)

On longer trips, I wear these cycling undies, at a fiver a pop they fit well, breath and are comfy, a lot of the guys that tag along with me also take the "magic pants" option to, about .0000000005% of the price of Moto Skiveez :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Men-Women...hash=item33b9e3f1b5:m:mKEifORNM8oEpWbNGw4UuQQ

I've sussed it! the early bikes 60's I rode I presume didn't have much in the way of comfort seats.
What we did have or rather had was small bums we the three of us intrepid bikers at that time weighed in at probably no more than nine stone each so that's the answer to why we never well me anyways had numb bums. So guys slim for comfy long distance bums. No more lager for me mmmmm well.

Really, I found my 10 plate's saddle gave me a bad pain at the base of the spine if I did a big day.

That what I mean about seats being subjective.
I am 6 foot with short legs and a long body and 18 stone.
The 10 plate set to high front high back suited me perfectly, I genuinely was fresh as a daisy after 800 miles.
The 17 plate triple black with comfort seat on high high gives me a sore arse 100 miles in, adding a sheep extended that to about 200 miles.
Going high front / high back and the longest run so far was 300 miles 2 up with no problems.
It's all down to the angle of the dangle of the geometry between you and the bike and the shape of your arse.

funny one this I have a 15 plate WC GSA ....Kevlar jeans = numb ass after 50 miles, put my Halvarseen trousers on and no problems...did the Iron Butt (1,000 miles in 24 hours) with no issues.

Guess its also down to what you wear :nenau

Do you keep your wallet in your back pocket ? Maybe the pocket position is different :rolleyes:

Not sure how you've got your seat adjusted.
Try high at the front and low at the back. It makes for a slightly different seating position that may help.
It worked for me on 2,800 mile tour sat on a stock seat. It's worth a try.
If it doesn't work out, try Tony Archer....

http://tonyarcher.co.uk

+1 for this solution, did 2K miles around Ireland and was in pain after about an hour and a half
put the seat on high front low rear, went our Sunday for a 6hr ride and it was simply superb Much much more comfortable so much so that ive stopped looking for an aftermarket seat now !!

Give it a try its well worth it
Rob

Back
Top Bottom