It's all over

pauljenkins

Reaction score
From an industry insider I spoke to the other day.
Now that more and more countries are announcing the end of the sale of fossil fuels, the latest being the UK, BMW will most likely cease production of motorcycles.
The investment required to meet ever increasing emissions legislation, let alone a completely new method of propulsion for bikes, is crippling.
The motorcycle segment represents a very small percentage of BMW's business and for them, it just isn't worth it.
To be fair it's not just them.
Other manufacturers will be reviewing their long term strategy for motorcycles as well.
All of the Japanese manufacturers, with the exception of Yamaha, are not financially dependent on motorcycle sales and so will most likely be considering abandoning production of pretty much everything, as the costs will far out weigh even long term profit.
It's not just the introduction of electric power that is having an influence.
Other initiatives such as driverless technology, are making life very difficult.
It's hard to see where bikes fit in to any transport policy.
OK they could reduce congestion but the problem there is that bikes represent about 1% of road traffic, but account for 20% of fatalities.
So if bike traffic increased by just another 1% we would account for nearly half of all road fatalities.
The related costs, as far as our respective governments are concerns, easily out weighs ant perceived advantage in terms of congestion relief.
It's look pretty grim folks.
Enjoy your bikes now, because in 20 years it will all be over, I promise you.

Sales of E bikes are going through the roof both here and in Europe. Recently whilst in Baden Baden I would estimate E bikes made up 1:2 of bicycles. Given E bikes start at £2.5 upto £6k , then proper electric motorcycles will slot in at £7k plus. Easier charging points zero emissions will make them ideal city hacks.

So all is not glum, it will just be e drive rather than fossil fuel.

Now wheres my 1970's two stroke triple?

How many Nuclear reactors do you plan on building to power all these electric vehicles?

Who are these people that decree that this will be inflicted on the populace. Do we want it to happen ? It's about time that the very few people who have the power, listen to us mere mortals and stop doing things most people don't want.

Tell them to get stuffed.

Well not to worry in 20 years probably nobody will be left on earth, if the madmen have their way, I wonder if the 1200GS works in space.

Now that more and more countries are announcing the end of the sale of fossil fuels, the latest being the UK, BMW will most likely cease production of motorcycles.
The investment required to meet ever increasing emissions legislation, let alone a completely new method of propulsion for bikes, is crippling.
The motorcycle segment represents a very small percentage of BMW's business and for them, it just isn't worth it.
Other manufacturers will be reviewing their long term strategy for motorcycles as well.
All of the Japanese manufacturers, with the exception of Yamaha, are not financially dependent on motorcycle sales and so will most likely be considering abandoning production of pretty much everything, as the costs will far out weigh even long term profit.
Other initiatives such as driverless technology, are making life very difficult.
OK they could reduce congestion but the problem there is that bikes represent about 1% of road traffic, but account for 20% of fatalities.
So if bike traffic increased by just another 1% we would account for nearly half of all road fatalities.
The related costs, as far as our respective governments are concerns, easily out weighs ant perceived advantage in terms of congestion relief.

No government would miss a chance like this to get rid of powered 2 wheelers . My money is on 10 to 15 yes.

Has anyone thought about what happens to all the batteries when they need swapping etc?

No government would miss a chance like this to get rid of powered 2 wheelers . My money is on 10 to 15 yes.

There is that as well.
At a time when so many car manufacturers are producing several fully electric and hybrid cars, you have to wonder why we're not seeing the same commitment from any of the major bike manufacturers.
Oh I know there are a few scooters, Harley have their live wire concept thing and there's an electric category at the IOM TT,, but those are hardly an acknowledgement that the industry as a whole is putting any real investment into the future of the electric motorcycle.
Electric and hybrid cars have been with us for a long time now, and are being continually developed.
Volvo have announced that all of its cars will be hybrid in the next 10 years.
I would expect the others to follow.
So where are the bikes, especially from the likes of BMW and Honda who have the advantage of being able to access their car divisions technology.
Conspicuously absent aren't they.
It does feel to me like the industry has given up and is just biding its time till fossil fuel becomes obsolete.

There is that as well.
At a time when so many car manufacturers are producing several fully electric and hybrid cars, you have to wonder why we're not seeing the same commitment from any of the major bike manufacturers.
Oh I know there are a few scooters, Harley have their live wire concept thing and there's an electric category at the IOM TT,, but those are hardly an acknowledgement that the industry as a whole is putting any real investment into the future of the electric motorcycle.
Electric and hybrid cars have been with us for a long time now, and are being continually developed.
Volvo have announced that all of its cars will be hybrid in the next 10 years.
I would expect the others to follow.
So where are the bikes, especially from the likes of BMW and Honda who have the advantage of being able to access their car divisions technology.
Conspicuously absent aren't they.
It does feel to me like the industry has given up and is just biding its time till fossil fuel becomes obsolete.

With the age of most riders; and the massive obstacles put in front of young learners, they are hoping it all fizzles out , before full electric.

"The end of the world is nigh!" Once, folk used to write that on a placard and walk up and down the high street with it. Everyone else would laugh at them or ignore them, and the world would carry on. Now, they post on social media and find their audience: we're all doomed!!

What complete tosh!
There are some very negative tossers here , but you win the award!

Electric bikes will replace petrol ones, in the way petrol power took over the role of steam engines. However, they will be faster and more fun to ride.
Biking will be safer too. The self-driving cars surrounding us will eliminate smidsy and driver error.

The future is different. But, be assured, motorcycling will still be a great lifestyle.

What complete tosh!
There are some very negative and uninformed tossers here, but you Paul, win the highest award!

Electric bikes will replace petrol ones, in the way petrol power took over the role of steam engines.
However, they will be faster, need no maintenance and arguably be more fun to ride.

Biking will be far safer too. The self-driving cars surrounding us will eliminate smidsy and driver error.
New materials for clothing and protection will maximise fun in all weathers.

The future is different. But, be assured, motorcycling will still be a great lifestyle.

At a time when so many car manufacturers are producing several fully electric and hybrid cars, you have to wonder why we're not seeing the same commitment from any of the major bike manufacturers..

FFS, even Harley-Davidson (not known for embracing modern technology), much less innovating future technology, have developed, at great expense, the electric LiveWire!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/motorcycles/project-livewire.html

I think you need to peek out from under that rock you have been hiding under.

FFS, even Harley-Davidson (not known for embracing modern technology), much less innovating future technology, have developed, at great expense, the electric LiveWire!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/motorcycles/project-livewire.html

I think you need to peek out from under that rock you have been hiding under.

Did you actually read my opening post or are you just a stupid person.
I suspect the latter, because if you had, you would have seen I clearly made mention of the Harley live wire.
DER
Oh dear.
Not the sharpest tool in the box are you, although you clearly are a tool.
Anyway, if there really is a future for electric bikes perhaps you, all seeing all knowing, could explain where they are.
I mean at a time when electric and mainly hybrid cars are well and truly established, where are the bikes from the large mainstream manufacturers.
Oh and please dont regurgitate the Harley.
It's still a concept and despite promises by Harley Davidson to have it in production a while ago, they haven't and never will.
So it's a simple question I ask you.
Bearing in mind hybrid and electric technology is now established, where are the sports, touring and mid size commuter bikes from the big manufacturers.
I really cant wait to hear your answer to that one.
Over to you LOL

Well, fcuk my old sea boots
You're full of the joys of spring, aren't you?
Did you just join this site to make your fifteen posts about Armageddon?
Or, is your bike purchase getting to you that badly?

Remind me what you drink or smoke, then I'll avoid it.. :D

Back
Top Bottom