Helicoil on oil drain plug

denny

Reaction score
Turns out the previous (& 1st) owner of my 2012 S10 had the oil drain plug threaded at some point during his ownership and a helicoil was fitted. When I last took the gal for a servive the coil came out with the plug. The mechanic managed to get a new coil fitted but it seems the thread diameter opened 1st time round was off by a mm or so as the plug was a bastard to get back in. He told me the coil would likely come out again at next oil change and a new coil will thread & coil be inserted, but that I should have nothing to worry about after that.

Having a new helicoil will cost me very little whereas a new cover/strainer is roughly £150. Reviews of helicoil are wide ranging, some love em others not so much. Should I go with the helicoil or spend the extra for peace of mind?

Use a keensert to repair the thread. They lock in place are far superior to other thread repairs.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yeah I read about those, as well as timesert, but unfortunately I couldn't find anyone in Istanbul that uses either. In my case would a helicoil suffice or be smart and spend some cash?

No world tours planned yet, but we will be touring parts of the balkans and pretty much all over Greece for three weeks in Sept/Oct. I do use the big girl around town occasionally, but mainly on long distance trips.

Helicoils are OK for things that don't need regular undoing, not really suitable for a sump piug. If you can't find someone with a Timesert kit then a replacement part is the best option

John

Is there enough metal to re-thread the current sump and use a larger sump plug?

I've done that in the past after buying a new plug from a car spares place for a few quid.

Alternatively if the cover can be readily removed, get it welded up and re-tapped to the correct size. Should cost a deal less than a new cover. Or how about a second hand item, possibly sent from somewhere else in Europe?

A correctly fitted helicoil should be better than the original threaded aluminium.

A correctly fitted helicoil should be better than the original threaded aluminium.

But they tend to come out , a Timesert won't and is therefore preferable for any use where the component needs to be regularly removed.

John

Decided to go for the replacement cover. None in stock so it'll have to be after our 3 weeker next month, however I found out that a new cover costs £40 less than the UK, which is unusual as anything bike related is stupidly expensive over here. Cover/gasket/plug all together is going to set me back roughly £140

Thanks for all the feedback :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom