Indicator switch

John Roberts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It's on my '81 RS. I bought it but didn't fit it for a couple of years and now I've found that it's faulty, has anybody had any luck taking one of these apart? Any tips? :)

It's on my '81 RS. I bought it but didn't fit it for a couple of years and now I've found that it's faulty, has anybody had any luck taking one of these apart? Any tips? :)

Possibly, it's a small spring located on a ball bearing that moves into indented positions when you move the switch, take apart and clean the faces reassemble with a bit of grease, or the indented positions will be sprung, take it apart you will suss it out

Put it in a bag before you take it apart. I took a Honda switch apart years ago and lost the bearing. It took me ages to find a ball bearing the same size. :blast

A couple of useful posts there. The fault is that when either signalling left or right it only works when the knob nearly but not quite its full travel. Wrapping three or four turns of wire on the protruding shank of the switch just beneath the knob did have the effect of reducing its travel but that was hardly a full and final solution.

I did strip the old switch down to try and fix it but with no luck, I binned that before fitting the new one, how I wish I'd hung on to it, I could at least have had another rummage in its guts before trying to fix this new one. I'd probably have myself a spare ball bearing as well, often so handy to have when you're trying to fix switches. :p I do remember that there were some tubular rivets in it, perhaps I'll end up having to get some on line along with those special crimping(?) tool/pliers to clench them up.

I took apart the red engine kill switch.

Right bastard to get back together.

Ball bearing AND a spring.

Used bluetak over the ball and pushed into location, the bluetak successfully preventing the ball launching itself around the workshop in some random flight path:D

Some of those BMW switches are unbelievably tricky to get back together.

Back
Top Bottom