R11GS "klacking" noise on idle

Tsiklonaut

GS pervert
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The bike's now done over 300K and developed something between "klacking" or "ticking" noise when warm and on idle after a Central-Asia and Mongolia trip. Coming from the left cylinder. It comes and goes, but mostly there on idle only, dissapears instantly once giving it a rev. It's getting annoying and I've ruled out some things:

It's not worn throttle bodies - done a complete TB rebuild recently with new shafts plus touching the shaft doesn't dampen the noise as with "ticker" noise issues on most R11xx bikes.
It's probably not the camchain tension - installed the updated hydraulic preloader recently
It's not the valves or rocker arm clearances since they are well within spec.

Could a worn camchain plastic guide do this? But with this there should be a noise on higher revs too, right?

Anything else I should look for?

Many thanks in advance!

Margus

Cheers mates.

Checked it, yep, the exhaust valve aluminium pushrod's end is loose. Will order the updated solid-steel pushrods I reckon.

Will update if I get them.

Thanks again!

attachment.php

That's the faulty pushrod out.

So if anyone with 1100/850 or older 1150 bike discovers a sound something between a "klicking" or "klacking" and if it's not the throttle body shaft or camchain tensioner then it's pretty sure it's the pushrod. It's a bit of a "design fault" (albeit mine lasted more than 300 000 so can't blame it) - the aluminium is softer than the steel, hence the steel tip comes loose in time.

attachment.php

The exhaust one on the left is out of it's socket.

Got a s/h pushrod and here's how they differ, the new updated pushrod is the slimmer solid steel:

attachment.php

Strange thing is I haven't even needed to touch the rocker arm clearance since they were in spec for all the 300 000 the bike's done :eek: (less than 0.2mm both sides both arms) :bow Now I just readjusted them to the minimum recommended 0.05 mm while I was there.

Attachments

• _SDI2055_s.jpg
    _SDI2055_s.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 630
  • _SDI2056_s.jpg
    _SDI2056_s.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 636
  • _SDI2060_s.jpg
    _SDI2060_s.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 636
Didn't realise that Oilheads had pushrods. You learn something every day...
Contentious opinions in this thread though about the "new" boxers. In fact wildly divergent, judging from the language. Yes, the 1150 series bikes were made in the decades before the penny-pinchers from Munich got hold of the Berlin manufacturing plant and knocked BMW Motorrad's well-earned reputation for reliable, well-built bikes for six.
But all the thought that went into the new motor design in 2010 :- wet clutch solving all the old hydraulic dry-clutch problems, downdraught breathing, fluid cooling, ( never leave an 1150 ticking over for half an hour if you don't fancy an engine rebuild ) surely must be an improvement, putting aside all the Chinese-outsourced components.

My UK biking pal has a 1200GS Adv and I followed him along the camera-strewn A49 two weeks ago on my Rockster. Couldn't keep up with him in the stretches where there were no cams, doing the ton-and-more in places. His only complaint after having owned 3 separate 1150 Telelever bikes over twelve years - ¿ why did Berlin relent on the previously brilliant double-thumb indicator switching ? All the misinformed ignorantly-opinionated biking journos kept up an incessant drip-drip campaign against the switching design and so now on new Beemers we have the cheapo Italian slide-switch component, made in China. Ugh.
But IMHO, a better, faster, cleaner-handling machine, despite the ridiculous, totally ridiculous price !

Didn't realise that Oilheads had pushrods. You learn something every day...
Contentious opinions in this thread though about the "new" boxers. In fact wildly divergent, judging from the language. Yes, the 1150 series bikes were made in the decades before the penny-pinchers from Munich got hold of the Berlin manufacturing plant and knocked BMW Motorrad's well-earned reputation for reliable, well-built bikes for six.
But all the thought that went into the new motor design in 2010 :- wet clutch solving all the old hydraulic dry-clutch problems, downdraught breathing, fluid cooling, ( never leave an 1150 ticking over for half an hour if you don't fancy an engine rebuild ) surely must be an improvement, putting aside all the Chinese-outsourced components.

My UK biking pal has a 1200GS Adv and I followed him along the camera-strewn A49 two weeks ago on my Rockster. Couldn't keep up with him in the stretches where there were no cams, doing the ton-and-more in places. His only complaint after having owned 3 separate 1150 Telelever bikes over twelve years - ¿ why did Berlin relent on the previously brilliant double-thumb indicator switching ? All the misinformed ignorantly-opinionated biking journos kept up an incessant drip-drip campaign against the switching design and so now on new Beemers we have the cheapo Italian slide-switch component, made in China. Ugh.
But IMHO, a better, faster, cleaner-handling machine, despite the ridiculous, totally ridiculous price !

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago on the Strines. I came across a guy on a 1200 rallye; or I should say he came across me; after he passed, I decided to tag along and give the new surface a working; I had very little to offer really, and out of each bend , he was further away. Saying that, it wasn't all bike; he was a tidy rider. Very impressed with how quick he and the bike was. I was on my old 1100. We went our separate ways, at the Woodhead junction. If your reading this fella,:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom