Anyone done 100,000 miles on 1200 GS Watercooled?

westride

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
interested to know if anyone has covered 100,000 from new on their Watercooled 1200 GS? Would like to know about full service history and any repairs?

Didn't think they actually made them to last that kinda distance :rob

If pcp has anything to do with it none would reach that mileage unless bough outright.

I'm sure there's at least one forum member that must be near that mark, my own is only on a mere 27000 after 19 months.

Mine has 66,000 kms on it. For all their faults the engine has been faultless. Never uses a drop of oil. Changed the oil the other day with considerable more mileage than scheduled and the oil was good. Not black. You could still almost see trough it. Translucent. I'm very impressed with it. Here's to the next 66,000. And the odd oil change. JJH

Drainman had a about 73k on his GSA as of about 6 months ago. Wouldnt be suprised if he's nearing that now if he still has it.

98,934 miles as of this morning. Only failed to get me where I was going twice, once was a puncture and once was to take it for a service and the generator had died so needed a bump start.

98,934 miles as of this morning. Only failed to get me where I was going twice, once was a puncture and once was to take it for a service and the generator had died so needed a bump start.

How much did that cost? JJH

I reckon this question has a lot more other questions, that could be asked to get a closer answer than what you are looking for, which is probably will I be OK for 100,000 miles and bike not cost me to much.
1: Is bike used more offroad than touring
2: Is bike used as a daily commuter
3: Is bike used a lot in cities, stop and start etc
4: I bike ridden hard or calmly

and so many other variables than can be thought of.

I reckon this question has a lot more other questions, that could be asked to get a closer answer than what you are looking for, which is probably will I be OK for 100,000 miles and bike not cost me to much.
1: Is bike used more offroad than touring
2: Is bike used as a daily commuter
3: Is bike used a lot in cities, stop and start etc
4: I bike ridden hard or calmly

and so many other variables than can be thought of.

Yes exactly. Moreover - in my opinion- the question "will it cost me much" is naive at best. If you feel the need to ask, you probably are looking at the wrong brand, which you cant afford. These are expensive bikes to keep mint even without current quality issues and cost/budgeting shortcomings the firm has undertaken in the last 15 years to make more profit (which is what everyone tries to do, make no mistake). Ultimately most modern bikes are more expensive to keep than their forebears, like for like. Parts, complexity of electronics and labour costs to blame. It is happening across all machines, from dishwashers to helicopters.

If you want something that will do 100k miles at minimal cost, you need a 20yo carbed Transalp or something along these lines. Something you can put mineral oil in once in a blue moon instead of anything expensive, and need a spanner size 10 and a pair of pliers to fix anything on. Which you ll do yourself.

My vfr did 110000 miles commuting year round only changed oil and filters ,plugs every 25 k and never checked the valve clearances 😮looked like crap but engine ran like clockwork 😊

Or an old K100 or K1100. I had an 1100LT that I sold after 110000 in 6 years; and an 1150GS that I did 127000 on.

Or a Honda VFR. I know of one VFR (2002) that has 120K and only needed service and consumables. Bike still looks good...

My vfr did 110000 miles commuting year round only changed oil and filters ,plugs every 25 k and never checked the valve clearances 😮looked like crap but engine ran like clockwork 😊

Or an old K100 or K1100. I had an 1100LT that I sold after 110000 in 6 years; and an 1150GS that I did 127000 on.

How jolly interesting but absolutely fuck all to do with the thread !

In answer to the original question the answer is now 'Yes'.
My OCD however is annoyed, if I had waited another hour it would have been 7:11 on 7/11/17.

Back
Top Bottom