final drive 2012 tc

Pauly S

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Whats the 1200 TC final drive like to home refurb.? is it a machine shop job? or like the 1150 which ive serviced a few times.?ta

After reading various posts on here I decided to give mine to Mikeyboy (on this forum), great service and a good price from a real motorcycle engineer!

Just had mine done by Mikeyboy,

(Sorry for the late reply Mikey, it arrived Monday as expected, but haven't had time to refit yet !!)

I, along with many others would recommend him straight away (do a forum search)

Highly regarded & reccomended

Not as simple or easy as the 1150. It can be done at home but you will need a couple of special tools to do the job right. There are drawings kicking around here somewhere to machine the castle socket for the pinion bearing and a made up jig to hold it would be useful.

Or you just send it to Mikeyboy

I had mike do a refurb on mine earlier this year (2011 GSA) as it was leaking oil out and letting water in. Plus I wanted peace of mind after 70,000 miles and some big miles planned for this year and next. It's an expensive job on the later models. Around £400 in parts plus the time iirc.

The issue is not only the special castle "socket". Everything is done to such a humungous torque you need an industrial bench bolted to the wall and special torque wrench to tighten it all up again. Unless you fancy a new career its better to get Mike or Steptoe on the case.

Also check the paralever trunnions bearings and sleeves. Mine were totally knackered. When I put them back I loaded it up with moly grease. That would be bad for rolling bearings (e.g. wheels) but the rocking motion scrapes out the grease from under the rollers so best to load it up.

Back
Top Bottom