Another new GS owner :friday

Jesim1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals

I've been off bikes for a fair few years and decided to take an early retirement and get a bike as part of that. I've had some of the classics from the past - who has not had an RD350LC :reaper or a CBR1000 :augie and I just had to spend a decade with the big boy from the era that was all about the legendary ZZR1100 :coold There are loads dotted in between those, but it gets boring listing bikes, so I bought another one to ride rather than talk about the ones I'd had, life's not over yet.

So this took my fancy, (picture below) as everyone will know it's an R1200GS (TE I think?) 2015 with sat. nav. and full luggage.

I have never ridden one of these, and didn't even try this out, I pick it up in a couple of weeks when it's been serviced and gone through the workshop for anything that needs done. My rational is:

a: I don't have any bike gear yet! :nenau

b: I can ride pretty much anything :blagblah

c: After a 170mph rocket with a tuned engine and almost 150bhp I know it's going to take some getting used to, but I'm determined to "downsize" (read that as I just know I'm getting older :rob )

So not being a total idiot I thought it wise to join this forum to pick the brains of those who have made mistakes before me and learned from those, becoming all the wiser for it. I've still got to sort clothing - going to J&S near Chester on Thursday to kit out both myself and the wife - so brands you respect or avoid would be a good pointer both for helmets and clothing. I also need to sort out insurance - again advice readily received. All the rest of the things can wait till after I've put a couple of thousand miles on her and got to know what I like and dislike before I go changing anything.

I expect to use this for light touring in the UK, odd days out etc. I'll even try and find a local club around the Wigan/St Helens area - GS or otherwise, but TBH I used to do a lot of Rally's and have kind of grown out of them - probably 100+ with bad toilets does that to you, or at least it did to me! A B&B sounds far more civilised now :surrender I don't see me going back through Europe any time soon, been there, done that, albeit a good few years back, but who knows where it will all lead :nenau

I'll contribute where I can and look forward to meeting some of you over the next year or so, in the mean time - ride safely.

James

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 217
Welcome to the site James :thumb Nice introduction. :cool:

Kit wise this place is a mine of information.... just have a few hours looking through the various sections and get to know your way round :beerjug:

Welcome James.......after a longish layoff i would advise a bit of extra training to get you back up to speed ,enjoy the bike Hunts are a decent dealership

Welcome James.

Lovely looking bike. Enjoy getting used to it. You are likely to find it a bit weird at first but will quickly grow to love it.

Neil

Welcome, James. Nice bike I just know you will love it.
As for kit I would recommend any textile jacket and trouser (pant) that are Gore-Tex laminate. Yes they are a bit more expensive but they are the thing to go for. With the Gore-Tex being laminated to the outer material the jacket cannot 'wet-out' so it doesn't get heavier, you don't feel cold, you can take it into your B'n'B room and it will be dry in the morning. Just make sure you get one with vents for the hot weather. Personally I have Rev-It! jacket & trouser but "other brands are available".
The same with boots and gloves. Anything with a Gore-Tex lining will be good. My wife and I both have Daytona boots but, again, there are plenty of others.
Its really a case of have in mind the sort of thing you would like and then see what the shop has that matches.
Good luck, have fun, and always remember that "Growing older is mandatory; growing Up is optional".
Stephen

Thanks for all the replies guys, I know it get's tiring say Hi to new folks on the forum, much better in person on a ride out.

James

Back
Top Bottom