To go LC or not?

Nick dj

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2011 twin cam GS and am considering buying a newer model an would appreciate feedback on what to look for?

I have seen a 2016 private sale at a good price and the dealers cannot sell new bikes and have registered loads of bikes with anything from 10 miles to 1500 at a good deal.

Is the new gearbox clutch worth the extra 3 to 4k I would have to pay?

Or should I stick with the Twin Cam until next years update?

Don't do it.... I recently considered a change to a 2016 TB as I have a 2012 TB and it is an awesome bike. Unless yours is costing you money then no real need to change. I was put off by the recall, corrosion issues virtually from showroom exit. More gadgetry than you can shake a stick at which means more to go wrong.

I might wait for future model but for now very content with the beast I know than something new.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have a 2011 twin cam GS and am considering buying a newer model an would appreciate feedback on what to look for?

I have seen a 2016 private sale at a good price and the dealers cannot sell new bikes and have registered loads of bikes with anything from 10 miles to 1500 at a good deal.

The LC is the better bike - I progressed from the original 1200 GS to the twin-cam and have had 2 LCs - all of the bikes had their niggles but overall the LCs are significantly better all-round.

Test ride one - they are very different bikes.

I personally prefer the TC, specifically due to the more characterful engine, better gearbox, proper indicators, and softer ride, but I will admit that the WC feels much 'newer' and more modern. That was part of the issue for me - if someone said it was a Yamaha or Honda I'd have believed them.

A lot of it is down to clever packaging. A higher side stand makes the bike easier to pick up so it feels lighter when its actually heavier, and the throttle is shorter so it feels quicker (it is quicker, but not by as much as you first think).

I came back from the test ride and liked getting back on my 2012 bike, so for the same cost to change I bought a low mileage sportsbike (S1000RR) as second bike instead for when I feel the need for a track day or sunny blast.

I've had a 2011 GSA, get the 2017 you will love it , a big step forward it's so much more fleet of foot. I ride mine everyday to work it is a revelation can't see me changing it for a long time.

Ps if u do get one get the gear shift assist and keyless both brilliant add ons.

Test ride one - they are very different bikes.

I personally prefer the TC, specifically due to the more characterful engine, better gearbox, proper indicators, and softer ride, but I will admit that the WC feels much 'newer' and more modern. That was part of the issue for me - if someone said it was a Yamaha or Honda I'd have believed them.

A lot of it is down to clever packaging. A higher side stand makes the bike easier to pick up so it feels lighter when its actually heavier, and the throttle is shorter so it feels quicker (it is quicker, but not by as much as you first think).

I came back from the test ride and liked getting back on my 2012 bike, so for the same cost to change I bought a low mileage sportsbike (S1000RR) as second bike instead for when I feel the need for a track day or sunny blast.

Despite this being an argumentitive forum.... that post makes a lot of bloody sense and I hope no one disagrees with the sentiment and idea here.......

I have the LC and I had the TC previously. The LC is the better bike for me as well by a far way. A bit noisier at the front end, but brakes, lights, suspension, performance are all
better. I think that the corrosion issues could be down to personal care. I you are fussy on cleanliness, and protection (say ACF50 type product) then I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade.
I have a 2014 at the moment, and the only thing stopping me upgrading to 2017 is the impending 2018 model. ...... oh, and stumping up the dosh!

Go for it

Don't age with your old bike , Embrace technology, i was keeping my 90 th anniversary last of the air cooled 2013. i have a triple black gsa now and i love it, they do get better every time , this my fourth Gsa , you cannot get a better all-round bike.
If i was too only have a single bike in the garage there is only this is the one, if you can justify it go for it you won't regret it. One of the must do,s with any bike is set it up for your self, sit on the bike and set handlebars for your style of riding if your a short arse like me buy some wunderlich risers and backwards towards you, move levers to suit your hands, hands and feet coordination should be intuitive , rear brake and gear change should be set up so you don't even have feel for it, more so if you have shift assist, you will get more out of your bike if set up for you, than any other accessory.
you won't believe how many people ride the bike as it comes out of the showroom, none of us are same shape or arm and leg length.

Don't age with your old bike , Embrace technology, i was keeping my 90 th anniversary last of the air cooled 2013. i have a triple black gsa now and i love it, they do get better every time , this my fourth Gsa , you cannot get a better all-round bike.
If i was too only have a single bike in the garage there is only this is the one, if you can justify it go for it you won't regret it. One of the must do,s with any bike is set it up for your self, sit on the bike and set handlebars for your style of riding if your a short arse like me buy some wunderlich risers and backwards towards you, move levers to suit your hands, hands and feet coordination should be intuitive , rear brake and gear change should be set up so you don't even have feel for it, more so if you have shift assist, you will get more out of your bike if set up for you, than any other accessory.
you won't believe how many people ride the bike as it comes out of the showroom, none of us are same shape or arm and leg length.

Good points but how do you buy such a bike knowing that you’ll have to sell it/part ex it before the warranty expires ?

Makes a mockery when people say they are keepers,yet very few keep them outside of warranty because nobody trusts the build quality.

Just had a test ride on a '17 plate. Gearbox is sublime, vastly superior to the '14 I had.

both cracking bikes but the LC is the better bike..i wouldn't buy a new one as their are a lot of very low miles bikes around cheap

Remember that an approved used bike comes with a full 2 year warranty, so factor that in when considering the private sale market.
I've ridden earlier GSs, and liked them all, but none made me pull the trigger til the late '16 Euro 4 version appeared with most of the niggles sorted, the really good new gearbox, abs pro, etc. I bought a TE Alpine and I love the thing.

Just had a test ride on a '17 plate. Gearbox is sublime, vastly superior to the '14 I had.

Agreed, my '17 Rallye Sport is very clearly better than my '13 LC GS no question and I haven't had ANY quality or other issues in the last 4 1/2 years on LC GSs.
I think they are superb and I appreciate the safety net I get from the electronics which is actually becoming quite common on modern bikes like KTMs and Ducatis to name a couple.
A friend of mine has a '17 Honda which has just been in the dealers for a crankshaft change!!!! Nuff said.
Another friend says he wouldn't have a bike with electronics but he rides an old British bike with troublesome carbs, drum brakes and Lucas electrics and assumes that because he spends his spare time fighting problems with it he would have do the same with a modern bike....makes you laugh really.

Back
Top Bottom