Burning Engine Oil

The older models needed the oil hot to get an accurate reading are you sure your not overfilling it ?

Absolutely sure. Rode this morning to the dealers about 35-40 minutes. Parked it. Picked up some oil, went to top it up, probably 10-15 minutes after arriving. Oil level was slightly lower than that in the photo. Checked this evening again and the level after cooling off is just bellow the top of the red circle.

I shall be asking questions at the dealership when bike goes in for the service in two weeks time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely sure. Rode this morning to the dealers about 35-40 minutes. Parked it. Picked up some oil, went to top it up, probably 10-15 minutes after arriving. Oil level was slightly lower than that in the photo. Checked this evening again and the level after cooling off is just bellow the top of the red circle.

I shall be asking questions at the dealership when bike goes in for the service in two weeks time.

Some say boxer engines can use a drop of oil if left on the side stand and to always use the full stand if your leaving them for more than a few minutes.

If they do or not the jury is still out :beerjug:

I virtually always leave mine on the side stand and the level never moves.

Some say boxer engines can use a drop of oil if left on the side stand and to always use the full stand if your leaving them for more than a few minutes.

If they do or not the jury is still out :beerjug:

Bike has been Hilltopped and has an Akra end can on it. Perhsps the two have something to do with it? Mind you my last GS wasn't Hilltopped but had Akra end can.

Bike has been Hilltopped and has an Akra end can on it. Perhsps the two have something to do with it? Mind you my last GS wasn't Hilltopped but had Akra end can.

Mine is standard. No remap. No exhaust upgrade.

But I'm still feeling better :D

Let us know what your dealer says about oil useage (although I suspect whatever they say won't be reliable)

Mine is standard. No remap. No exhaust upgrade.

But I'm still feeling better :D

Let us know what your dealer says about oil useage (although I suspect whatever they say won't be reliable)

The likely answer will be "they all do that, is a boxer character"

My gs lc is using a little oil between services,
i dont top it up as it never gets to minimum, which is suficient,

My gs lc is using a little oil between services,
i dont top it up as it never gets to minimum, which is suficient,

The difference between MIN and MAX is 0.95 litres. It's around 25% of your total capacity.

So yours could well be consuming the same amount as mine (500ml in 5500 miles), or as near as.

1 Litre top up between Min and Max is a fair amount considering the engines maximum capacity is 4 Litres with a filter change.

I'd be more inclined not to leave it, and top it up between services.

Just remember to check and top up levels once engine has cooled down for 5 minutes.

My knowledge is based on 3 different LC engined bikes 2 x GS and 1 x RT. they don't / didn't use any oil.

People confuse the matter when they insist on commenting (in the 1200GS LC forum) on how a pre LC model performed. The engines are so different all the old rules of thumb, old adages don't apply. Not leaving the bike on the side-stand for example just has no relevance when talking about the LC.

I think it would be worthwhile if there was a facility to be able to put, say, at the side below your name what bike you ride.

Just saying mine uses a little oil, i do wait and its never got anywhere near minimum, probably halfway, the level light hasn't been on,
with just under 1 litre thats a fair tolerance, most modern cars are 1 litre min to max with the level light on at minimum, i will measure the next drain out of curiosity ,

Just saying mine uses a little oil, i do wait and its never got anywhere near minimum, probably halfway, the level light hasn't been on,
with just under 1 litre thats a fair tolerance, most modern cars are 1 litre min to max with the level light on at minimum, i will measure the next drain out of curiosity ,

The sight glass works out 1l between two red lines. If it is halfway, then it is 0.5l of oil burned up. I recon those who say their bike doesn't burn, probably never check it and rely on their dashboard lights

The sight glass works out 1l between two red lines. If it is halfway, then it is 0.5l of oil burned up. I recon those who say their bike doesn't burn, probably never check it and rely on their dashboard lights

:D Could be true :D

I'm going on a 2500 mile tour of Ireland and Scotland in May 2018.

Decided to get a Cymark Oil Holder and Nippy Normans Emergency Oil 0.7L bottle.

Probably won't need it but for £19 fit and forget, I'll take it just in case.

Even if I don't use it, it could be handy for any of my mates who need oil top up enroute (as none of them will carry it).

As I've not toured on this bike yet, I won't know how it behaves on oil consumption. So better safe than a load of hassle.

I'm going on a 2500 mile tour of Ireland and Scotland in May 2018.

Decided to get a Cymark Oil Holder and Nippy Normans Emergency Oil 0.7L bottle.

Probably won't need it but for £19 fit and forget, I'll take it just in case.

Even if I don't use it, it could be handy for any of my mates who need oil top up enroute (as none of them will carry it).

As I've not toured on this bike yet, I won't know how it behaves on oil consumption. So better safe than a load of hassle.

You do know you can buy oil at petrol stations, don't you?

:blast

:D

The bottle that I got from Nippy - was crap quality.

I used an empty/flushed Ammonia bottle, with well-sealing cap. If it is good enough for Ammonia - it'll handle oil easily.

You do know you can buy oil at petrol stations, don't you?

:blast

:D

Yes, probably a minimum of 2.5 Litres specific for Turbo Diesel Car Engines at £35 a bottle.

When I will probably only want 250-500ml top up of my BMW Specific Oil.

So tadpole brain :blast, I'm planning ahead just in case and using the right grade motorcycle oil :) :rolleyes:

The bottle that I got from Nippy - was crap quality.

I used an empty/flushed Ammonia bottle, with well-sealing cap. If it is good enough for Ammonia - it'll handle oil easily.

Ok thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at it when it arrives.

Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom