Burning Engine Oil

Well Warlord, for what it’s worth you have my support.

You asked a simple and straight forward question that required a simple and straight forward answer which was mostly what you received! :thumb

There is a specific procedure in the handbook for checking oil level and a warning about misinterpretation of oil level reading due to oil level varying with temperature, so it is important to follow this, otherwise if you check under different conditions you can think oil has been used when it hasn't - not saying the OP has done this, but still worth mentioning.

The procedure is basically to get the bike to full operating temperature, switch off and place on centre stand on level ground, allow to stand for 5 minutes before checking oil level. Results can vary a lot if you don't follow this, due to oil volume expanding when hot and shrinking when cold, and the reading can also vary due to more oil draining down into the sump if left for a long time after switch off before checking the level, so I think the 5 minutes is important too.

Regarding carrying supplies for topping up, I fitted a couple of tool tubes to my bike and carry a 1 L Primus bottle with petrol in one tube, and a 0.35 L bottle of oil plus some tools in the other. I reckon that will be easily enough for a long trip, especially if topped up to maximum before leaving, as there is quite a big difference between the min and max oil levels. These bottles are useful even if you don't have tool tubes as they are more secure than plastic containers.

Fred

s-l140.jpg

In Warlord’s defence can I just paraphrase a Monty Python sketch and say “it’s a good job he didn’t ask about the tyres!”

Back
Top Bottom