Burning Engine Oil

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2017 (March) R1200GSA is burning engine oil.

It was bought new and I ran it in (no different than plenty of other new bikes I've owned in the past). So the running in procedure was, in my opinion, done correctly.

However, I've used around 500ml of engine oil in the past 5,500 miles. No leaks. Bike is clean as a whistle.

Does that sound normal for this bike, when ridden sympathetically hard.

I don't abuse the bike, but I do rev it through the range regularly.

Just wondered, as I have no experience of this engine before.

Unfortunately, you may have caused the oil usage yourself by 'running it in correctly'.
These engines seem to like it rough in the early days.

Having said that 1/2 litre in 5,500 miles doesn't sound too excessive.
Live with it and enjoy the bike.

That sounds excessive, even for a new engine-- My 2013 GS LC hasn't used a drop in 6000 miles.

On one of the old TC s that ammount of oil sounds about right but the LC ???

First i have heard of anyone using that much in one and everyone i know that went from TC to LC comments on how they just don't burn oil

Done 40 thou on mine, self serviced... Oil level has never moved at anytime even when running in.
Take it back to the dealer and let them know what is happening , I am sure they know the watercooled engines do not use oil..others may disagree but i have yet to meet anyone who,s lc uses oil.

Well within BMW tolerance......

They used to quote 1.0ltrs/1000m.

That's one of the characteristics of a flat-twin engine........

Al

Well within BMW tolerance......

They used to quote 1.0ltrs/1000m.

That's one of the characteristics of a flat-twin engine........

Al

eh?,one of the things the lc does not do is use engine oil,unlike the previous air/oil cooled

Hi Steve, my twin cam used to get through some oil and when I mentioned it to Steve Grover of Motoscot fame at a service he advised keeping the oil level high in the sight glass.

He explained that anything below that would allow some of the oil to tend to froth and disappear as mist (through the breather??) whereas if you keep the level high, it doesnt.

I never kept details or records but it did seem to improve the consumption.

Worth a try :beerjug:

Great, thanks guys.

I'll keep it topped up and keep an eye on it. So I won't worry any further, just treat it as the bikes 'Character'

It only felt excessive enough to ask on here because I've used 500ml on top ups, so thought I'd check.

But I'm not saintly when I ride, so it does get used hard at times over the last 5000 miles.

100ml per 1000 miles it seems. :augie

Bless it :tarka

My 2017 (March) R1200GSA is burning engine oil.

It was bought new and I ran it in (no different than plenty of other new bikes I've owned in the past). So the running in procedure was, in my opinion, done correctly.

However, I've used around 500ml of engine oil in the past 5,500 miles. No leaks. Bike is clean as a whistle.

Does that sound normal for this bike, when ridden sympathetically hard.

I don't abuse the bike, but I do rev it through the range regularly.

Just wondered, as I have no experience of this engine before.

Sounds a bit high to me, but probably in spec - ran both my LCs in by the book and neither have consumed a drop between services.

I'm on my second LC GSA and have not had to top the oil up at any time on either :nenau

Mine has used some oil. Difficult to tell how much but it has as oil level in the sight glass is on low side. Bike done over 6k since March this year.

What spec oil should one use and does it have to be BMW stuff for topping up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2007 (pre lc) generally uses very little oil, but occasionally it gets a real beasting on a trip and under those circumstances will use 500ml in 500 - 600 miles. Consumption seems to depend on how it is ridden in my case.

I'm on my 5th LC GS, and none of them have used a drop of oil. Get it in to the dealer, as that's not right.

Just over 1 pint in old money over 5.5k...
Nothing serious that, on bikes I have had from new they sometimes used a bit more oil in first few thousand miles. My own preference with running in is to give a bit more thrashing than it says in the handbook though. Would rather have things well bedded in than have glazed bores, which will typically add to oil consumption.

Back
Top Bottom